WTF is this Insect?

Help Support ArboristSite:

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
Found dead upstairs, may have fallen out of Velux windows.
Found a very similar one outside once, buried in a mixture of dead leaves, weeds and gravel. It crawled around very slowly and eventually the dog killed it.
Both were about 1 1/5 inch long. DSCF4037.JPGDSCF4038.JPGDSCF4039.JPG

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
June bug, water beetle, water boatman. Kinda all interchangeable in these parts.

some are way bigger than an inch, more like two inches. I didn't know that they bite. I have handled many of them. I didn't know that grasshoppers bite until one the first one bit me...bastids.

I'll be wary of the water beetle's chompers from now on..

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
June bug, water beetle, water boatman. Kinda all interchangeable in these parts.

some are way bigger than an inch, more like two inches. I didn't know that they bite. I have handled many of them. I didn't know that grasshoppers bite until one the first one bit me...bastids.

So will crickets. I had one bite me as I was trying to put it on the hook when fishing for Bluegills. Now I know to pick them up so they can't do that.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
We had them bad right after moving into our house. At first we thought we had a wolf spider problem, but quickly realized we had a cave cricket problem. They are quite destructive in numbers. Ended up calling an exterminator to get rid of them. Had to redo the insulation in the basement (semi finished when we bought the house) from all the black turd like pebbles stuck in it. It was nasty. I have no love for crickets ever since.

stillhunter

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite

the water beetles are large and fast, they zig and zag and are hard to catch.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bummer. My basement is made out of field stone. It leaks like a sieve. Mid-summer, you get all sorts of wildlife living down there. Mid-winter, it is just like a meat locker. You get used to it.
My place was uninhabited for about 4 years before we bought it. The guy had moved out to live with his girlfriend and they used this house for storage till he decided to sell it. I haven't had a major issue since but also the basement is half finished so it's heated and cooled (I use that term loosely lol) with the rest of the house.