WTF is this Insect?

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
kenmbz

kenmbz

ArboristSite Operative
2/10's :cool:
Hate camel crickets-they jump at you. When something 3-4 inches long jumps at you in the middle of the night in a basement......
Those ragworms, we used to call them blood worms, since there would be blood if one got you. Nasty, but great for fishing.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.

They are considered a delicacy in Vietnam:

Nereididae_in_Cuisine_of_Vietnam_2.JPG

stillhunter

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was installing cable TV in Durham N.C. in the eighties. I fished a bundle of cables into grate/vent on the side of a large front porch on an old brick apartment building. There was a door/crawlspace near the porch. I crawled under building and under the concrete slab of the porch. I rolled on my back to pull the bundle to the other side and I looked up at the bottom of the slab about 4' above me. It was covered w many hundreds of camel crickets.I about pooped my jumpsuit,I slowly/ carefully pulled the bundle to the other side and feed it out the grate on the other side. Only a few jumped on me and I was surprised that they all didn't jump around crazy like they usually when one jumps. Spiders and snakes never bothered me as long I saw them first, the CCs would jump on me and freak me out.

Stonewoodiron

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
I am terrified of the camel crickets. Have 3a few nightmare stories relating to them. I cut down a poplar stump and several massive cc came out of the rotten center. These were the biggest I’ve ever seen. I jumped backwards and fell over a brush pile while holding my saw. Recovering, went all Texas chainsaw massacre on them!

There were hundreds on a basement wall. There were no lights in the basement so I had a flashlight. As I lifted my light up from the floor to shine it on the wall they all started running upwards, away from the light, in unison. The whole wall was moving! This tricked my brain into thinking that I was falling backwards! I ran back up the steps as if my life depended on it.
Hate those things!!

Latest posts