You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the relative weight of the injection system components compared to a typical carb?

I've worked on a bunch of carbs - they are a self contained unit and don't weigh much.
Well I have a large pile of carbs that all failed ,prob from Ethanol fuel. It seems carbs are failing on saws more than anything.

The dolmar 7900 is a great smooth powerfull saw and I like it a lot. They dont make them anymore and parts are hard to get ,keep that in mind. Like I said I will be comparing the two soon, Im waiting on the 500I from UPS.
I’m sure the 500i is a great saw and I would like to try one but seems like most comparisons I’ve seen are to smaller cc saws and looks like it’s not much if any faster. And weight sounds great too but then you see guys adding bigger clutch covers, dogs, air filters, and fuel and oil jugs swinging around on their belts, lol.
Hopefully they become more readily available at a reasonable price.

I’m sure the 500i is a great saw and I would like to try one but seems like most comparisons I’ve seen are to smaller cc saws and looks like it’s not much if any faster. And weight sounds great too but then you see guys adding bigger clutch covers, dogs, air filters, and fuel and oil jugs swinging around on their belts, lol.
Hopefully they become more readily available at a reasonable price.

To me it’s closer to a 385/390 husky vs the 7900 I’ve ran in the past, as far as the 7900 remember how terrible the dawgs and the original low cover air filters were just like the 500. One thing with running it is you notice how much the 500 likes a long bar with a lot of aggressive cutters, I’ve changed my grinds and how far I take the depth gauges down to let the saw really eat plus switching back to full comp even on 114 driver bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never run a 7900. But from what I hear I wouldn’t use the term significant power increase for the 500i. My 500i is definitely more responsive than my 82cc MACs and likely more powerful but not significantly IMO. It has a lot of grunt just like my MACs. With a 25” bar, I run an 8 pin .375 on the 500i and a 7 pin .404 on the MAC.

Ron

To me it’s closer to a 385/390 husky vs the 7900 I’ve ran in the past, as far as the 7900 remember how terrible the dawgs and the original low cover air filters were just like the 500. One thing with running it is you notice how much the 500 likes a long bar with a lot of aggressive cutters, I’ve changed my grinds and how far I take the depth gauges down to let the saw really eat plus switching back to full comp even on 114 driver bars.

The 7900 wasn't a slouch, but it also wasn't super impressive from what I remember.

The 7900 wasn't a slouch, but it also wasn't super impressive from what I remember.
…and boy did it have some annoying carb issues, on the 7901 at least. I wanted my 7901 to be perfect but ended up selling it to stop myself throwing the regularly flooding piece of **** out of the tree. I was gutted that my 7901 was not as good as the reputation suggested it would be

…and boy did it have some annoying carb issues, on the 7901 at least. I wanted my 7901 to be perfect but ended up selling it to stop myself throwing the regularly flooding piece of **** out of the tree. I was gutted that my 7901 was not as good as the reputation suggested it would be
Never had carb issues. The oiler leaked most of the oil it put out behind the clutch. Couldn't get parts without waiting weeks. Finnaly sold the thing.
Personally I can't see the fixation with Dolmar saws. Their dealer network sucks, their part availability sucks and the saws themselves are not up to husky and stihl quality wise IMO.

Im thinking just bolt on the suspect part. Once they start failing it will become known what fails and the symptoms of it. There are some Stihl techs and other good mechanics on this site that would offer some info up just like any other saw. Well I bought one so im all in at this point. I have plenty of back up old school saws so. Sit back and watch for a year or two and then make a judgement. I will be happy to test it out and there is no way I would let it outsmart me . The only way I would have a problem was if parts are unavailable.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can't replace any of the fuel or ignition related parts without needing to plug the diagnostic tool in. The service manual states that failing to do so for some components will even damage the saw.

Ok, so was about to run down to my saw shop and pick up a 661next week. Currently have a MS260 and MS441C-M, picked it up right when it was released. My 441 has been a work horse, typically sports a 25" bar, but when bigger trees fall I will hang a 32" off of it and run a full skip. Lately seems like bg boy trees have been falling (oak and pine) and my 32" bar has been getting more and more use.

Was thinking of getting a MS661 and just leacing a 32 or 36" on it, then keeping my 441 and 260 for typical firewood duties. Just started reading up on the 500i though, and now debatting getting that instead of the 661 and also replacing my 441 with it. Thoughts?

Ok, so was about to run down to my saw shop and pick up a 661next week. Currently have a MS260 and MS441C-M, picked it up right when it was released. My 441 has been a work horse, typically sports a 25" bar, but when bigger trees fall I will hang a 32" off of it and run a full skip. Lately seems like bg boy trees have been falling (oak and pine) and my 32" bar has been getting more and more use.

Was thinking of getting a MS661 and just leacing a 32 or 36" on it, then keeping my 441 and 260 for typical firewood duties. Just started reading up on the 500i though, and now debatting getting that instead of the 661 and also replacing my 441 with it. Thoughts?

I watched a video the other day, and the 500i runs a 36" B&C perfectly. I'd say no need for a 661. Keep the 441, unless you can sell it for a good sum of money, i.e. condition of the saw depending.

If you go up in this thread a little bit there a video in here of a 500 running a 36 will full comp square chisel.

If it’s 36” all day every day I think I’d still prefer to use 661. The anti-vibe on the 500i takes some getting used to and I do worry that the longer bars put a bit too much strain on the saws body….but that’s just me being pessimistic Pete. I think running a 36” all day every day is possibly less wearing on a 661 than it is on a 500i…but that’s just gut feeling

If it’s 36” all day every day I think I’d still prefer to use 661. The anti-vibe on the 500i takes some getting used to and I do worry that the longer bars put a bit too much strain on the saws body….but that’s just me being pessimistic Pete. I think running a 36” all day every day is possibly less wearing on a 661 than it is on a 500i…but that’s just gut feeling

Been running a 36 all day everyday for the last six months here once the spring are swapped there’s no issues so far.

Latest posts

Back