You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been running a 36 all day everyday for the last six months here once the spring are swapped there’s no issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the spring swap you refer to? Springs from a different Stihl saw I assume? TIA

Significantly more vibe with what I assume is a stiffer spring?
Are people doing muffler mods and woods porting on a injected saw?

Significantly more vibe with what I assume is a stiffer spring?
Are people doing muffler mods and woods porting on a injected saw?

It’s a little more vibration nothing that isn’t out of the norm a lot of the vibration is going to also depend on the chain. Most of my chains the depth gauges are way down with a very aggressive square grind on the cutter that leaves almost no gullet.

Mine isn’t ported but some do, muffler mods yes as well I have a bark box one for performance, two to help get that hot muffler cover away from the bark, and three it allows me to go back to stock during fire season.
74d8318b13946aea7d41e5f791117e51.jpg

So I have Poulan 505 83cc strong running saw.
I also have a 3700 that I ported 60cc saw that runs strong.
Poulan 505 is around 27 years old.
The Poulan 3700 around 37 years old.
I want to see how many 500i's are around after that many years and are usable.

That’s also firewood duty correct? If you were pounding on a saw say 6 hours a day the only break it get is between stumps and gas how long would the old Poulan last? As I stated above I had a 385 for 15 years she went through two top ends and by then the bottom end was toast.

Thats some nice pics, nothing a copycat 660 couldn't do though.

Maybe but your hands would of been hurting at the end of the day why mess with the 66’s when the 390’s did just as well in that size of wood or if you really want to pack the weight run the 395’s.

Maybe but your hands would of been hurting at the end of the day why mess with the 66’s when the 390’s did just as well in that size of wood or if you really want to pack the weight run the 395’s.

I HAD a same as new ms660 that I cut maybe 6 trees with just to see how I liked it. It couldn't do ANYTHING that my lighter 390XP couldn't do so I gave it away to my son. MY 390 would outcut it so Im certain a 395 would roll it in the mud and take its lunch money.
The 500i is the ONLY stihl Ive ever ran that would compete and beat a lb for lb Husqvarna.

That’s also firewood duty correct? If you were pounding on a saw say 6 hours a day the only break it get is between stumps and gas how long would the old Poulan last? As I stated above I had a 385 for 15 years she went through two top ends and by then the bottom end was toast.

Yes, that is firewood duty only. I felled a total of 36 trees last summer in the mountains at 8000ft.
Those saws never failed me so that is really all I need. I have never made a living using a saw and never will at this point, but I do want something that is always going to work.
So, you Pro loggers that cut all day long can pay 1200 dollars for a saw and make it worthwhile and I get that.
I will stick to my 250 dollars saws and make it worthwhile.

As a professional timber faller, it makes ALL the difference!
I'm not a pro timber faller, but I see you point as I'm dependant on wood to keep warm "every day" during the winter - I dont use electric heating.
So my Dolmar 5105 is lovely - but it's wearing me out in a few minutes. Thats 5,5kg /12lb without bar and chain.
However, my brand new MS241 dont do that - at all. Thats 4,5kg / 9,9lb without bar and chain. It cuts wood twice its 14" bar easily.

When I was working in the woods I never asked myself "boy I wish I had a heavier saw".

It depends on the situation and the timber your falling there’s days I wish I’d brought the bigger saws out with the long bars to do something vs just the 500 with the 36.

Latest posts

Back