Your Favorite Books on Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WRW said:
That Dr. Gene Wengert is a consultant on woodweb's sawing and drying forum.
He is one in the same. A smart guy about wood and freely shares what he knows. You gotta like that.:D
Finnbear

Finnbear said:
Drying Hardwood Lumber - by Joseph Denig, Eugene M. Wengert, William T. Simpson.

Hey Finnbear, (or anyone else)

In your oninion, is this book worth the $175.00 they have it listed for on Amazon? If so why?

:jawdrop:

Thanks

Hey Finnbear, (or anyone else)

In your oninion, is this book worth the $175.00 they have it listed for on Amazon? If so why?

To me it isn't, because Dr. Wengert will answer any question you have right on Woodweb.com, also the knowledge base over there is extensive and covers about anything you can think of about wood, tree's and everything else...

Best part is, it's FREE

BTW, i've emailed Dr. Wengert and he's a great guy that has an unblievable amount of knowledge stored upstairs!!

Rob

Sawyer Rob said:
To me it isn't, because Dr. Wengert will answer any question you have right on Woodweb.com, also the knowledge base over there is extensive and covers about anything you can think of about wood, tree's and everything else...

Best part is, it's FREE

BTW, i've emailed Dr. Wengert and he's a great guy that has an unblievable amount of knowledge stored upstairs!!

Rob

Thanks

I've said it before.. free is good.

I spend a lot of time on the Woodweb knowledge base reading the articles. Makes you wonder how we got along without the internet.

Aggie,
It is a good book but I'm not sure I'd pay $175 for it. It is a technical manual produced by the US Dept of Agriculture/Forest Service at their Forestry Products Laboratory. They have all sorts of other neat info you can download free. I got a hard copy (paperback) free for asking for it - I'll try to dig up where I got it. I first got an e-copy that I downloaded somewhere off the web. I'm not sure why they get $175 for it on Amazon unless those are original hardbound copies which are rare as hens teeth and maybe collectible. I have an original hardbound copy of "Wood Handbook - Wood as an Engineered Material" that I paid the princely sum of 50 cents for at a church rummage sale and I have seen them sell for $40-$60 on eBay.

You can download an e-copy of "Drying Hardwood Lumber" free also at the link below.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/fpl_pdfs/fplgtr118.pdf#search='drying%20hardwood%20lumber'

Finnbear

Last edited:
aggiewoodbutchr said:
I called my local library already and they don't have it. Besides, who wants to go to a library anyway.:rolleyes:

Libraries do have a couple of neat search engines. One of 'em is called "Reference Desk".

If you sweet talk them librarians, sometimes they will order a book that they don't have just for your reading enjoyment.

WRW said:
Libraries do have a couple of neat search engines. One of 'em is called "Reference Desk".

If you sweet talk them librarians, sometimes they will order a book that they don't have just for your reading enjoyment.

Problem is I haven't found one that serves frosty beverages.:givebeer:

Back