Stihl 045 Tillotson HS-118A carburetor rebuild kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbore50

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older Stihl 045 and need a carburetor rebuild kit for it. Old I mean it came with points ignition. I see kit for a Tillotson HS-118B kits but not for the Tillotson HS-118A carb.that it has on it.
Can anyone help me?

Trying to rebuild a tillotson hs118a carb off a 056. Bought the listed parts kit,
RK 20HS. Get to the metering diaphragm and there is no notch for it to engage the lever. It is a solid piece. Wtf? Anyone know what’s going on here? This is my first rebuild, so maybe it’s me, but I don’t think so. Old diaphragm on top in pic, new diaphragm on bottom. New lever is identical to old. Please help. Thanks

On a side note, anyone ever pressure tested the needle on one of these prior to installing the metering diaphragm? I’m following a Donnie Walker video, but I don’t see how the process could work since the inlet is on the bottom right against the pump diaphragm. Right now I’m just trying to get it to go back together. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_3051.png
    IMG_3051.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
Trying to rebuild a tillotson hs118a carb off a 056. Bought the listed parts kit,
RK 20HS. Get to the metering diaphragm and there is no notch for it to engage the lever. It is a solid piece. Wtf? Anyone know what’s going on here? This is my first rebuild, so maybe it’s me, but I don’t think so. Old diaphragm on top in pic, new diaphragm on bottom. New lever is identical to old. Please help. Thanks

On a side note, anyone ever pressure tested the needle on one of these prior to installing the metering diaphragm? I’m following a Donnie Walker video, but I don’t see how the process could work since the inlet is on the bottom right against the pump diaphragm. Right now I’m just trying to get it to go back together. Thanks again.
That kit is most likely an AM set, they often don`t work on all models , often have incorrect parts so I never recommend using any other than OEM sets. The diaphragm does not necessarily need to hook into the metering lever, many carbs do not, the spring under the metering lever will push the lever arm back up when the diaphragm lifts upward.There may be a problem getting the carb to tune due to the length of the button on the diaphragm, you could try it but most likely best to get the correct kit.

That kit is most likely an AM set, they often don`t work on all models , often have incorrect parts so I never recommend using any other than OEM sets. The diaphragm does not necessarily need to hook into the metering lever, many carbs do not, the spring under the metering lever will push the lever arm back up when the diaphragm lifts upward.There may be a problem getting the carb to tune due to the length of the button on the diaphragm, you could try it but most likely best to get the correct kit.
It’s an oem kit. Tillotson replied sometime during the night and said the same thing you said, diaphram doesn’t need to hook into lever. Thanks for the reply.

Back