Need advice about tall pines close to house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to say it, but it sounds like a lost cause.
Is it possible the severe erosion on your neighbors property could cause damage to the home's foundation?
When your neighbors logged their trees, did they pay, or get paid for the timber?
My foundation seems OK with respect to water. I don't know if the first neighbor sold his trees, but I assume so. He logged about 5 acres as soon as he bought the house. The second neighbor has not sold the trees. They're still on the ground.

My foundation seems OK with respect to water. I don't know if the first neighbor sold his trees, but I assume so. He logged about 5 acres as soon as he bought the house. The second neighbor has not sold the trees. They're still on the ground.
Maybe talk to neighbor #1 and get contact info for the logger and talk to them?
If you could get someone to take down the trees, and pay you for them, that should solve your problem, right?
With the money you get for the timber, you could build a solid retaining wall and add some nice new landscaping... and you could stay in your home and be safe.

The previous mention about insurance is a biggie. In a wildfire prone area I am awaiting the 'letter' from the insurance carrier. Never mind the rate increases which are frequent but the 'letter' of nonrenewal. We have our pickups, home, outbuildings, 160a of forest for liability, tractors, UTV & ATV and the LT50HD mill all insured by the same carrier for 20 years. Never a claim except for rodent damage on the pickups. But it won't matter. The agent is a nice guy but there is little for him to do when the decision comes from above. Of course they will still insure the road vehicles....

When the 'letter' comes we will go without coverage. The only carriers that will write a policy will be scalping and we already pay $340/month. We are retired and it's a major budget hit.

Can I ask how much all that cost you? And what region of the country to compare prices?
They payed me. A good friend was logging a tract nearby and came over and got them. I then bought a stump grinder and ground the stumps off and on for a few months. Pretty lucky looking back on it

Pine trees while they look good are a big PAIN when close to a house or bldgs.
Several people are unaware (tree huggers) and would would be surprised how much of a mess they make when dropping needles and cones and grass usually will not grow under or around them. They are harder to keep cleaned up vs a tree that drops leaves.

They also do not have much value as timber in my neck of the the woods, about $20 per ton. I've removed several by just controlled cutting them down when I have a clear path to lay them down, then the stump will usually rot out in about 5 years or use a stump grinder.

Pine trees while they look good are a big PAIN when close to a house or bldgs.
Several people are unaware (tree huggers) and would would be surprised how much of a mess they make when dropping needles and cones and grass usually will not grow under or around them. They are harder to keep cleaned up vs a tree that drops leaves.

They also do not have much value as timber in my neck of the the woods, about $20 per ton. I've removed several by just controlled cutting them down when I have a clear path to lay them down, then the stump will usually rot out in about 5 years or use a stump grinder.
Being a "tree hugger" I for one am well aware of how nice it is not having to mow under my pine trees. I also love the pine cones and the nice tidy bed of fallen needles they make.
Trying to "clean up" and grow grass under a pine tree sounds like a colossal waste of time to me.. and they are much less messy compared to deciduous trees.
But, to each their own. :drinkingcoffee:

The problem with Pines and depending on the type, they have a natural terminal deadline that is much shorter than hardwoods.

When we were called to value large pines we did a core sample to see if the center had started to deteriorate which can start at around 40 years or so.

If left to natural growth, hardwood will became the dominant species in a forest simply because of longevity of life span.

I often see where many pine trees have been removed from near a house or yard with but a few remaining tall pines left standing.

This exposure increases the likelihood of failure because trees 'share' the wind load.

It doesn't matter much if it's a woods grown pine or hardwood. Either will have a high woods grown canopy and each is subject to failure.

Pines just seem to be picked on.

I've seen plenty of both fail during my 40+ years in the biz.

Being a "tree hugger" I for one am well aware of how nice it is not having to mow under my pine trees. I also love the pine cones and the nice tidy bed of fallen needles they make.
Trying to "clean up" and grow grass under a pine tree sounds like a colossal waste of time to me.. and they are much less messy compared to deciduous trees.
But, to each their own. :drinkingcoffee:
Grass grows copiously under my pine trees, and they are 100 times messier than my maple trees. Dealing with maple leaves in the fall is far easier than dealing with everything that falls from white pines year round. There are efficient tools and methods for getting rid of leaves, but not pine cones and pine needles.

I can state with certainty that pine trees create an ENORMOUS amount of hard physical labor for the home owner. Over the past 12 months I have picked up and disposed of thousands upon thousands of pine cones because it was the height of the 3-5 year cone cycle. Some cones can be raked. Others need to be picked up by hand or with a grabber one. cone. at. a. time. Due to the frequent windstorms, the cones blew a couple hundred feet into sections of the yard that don't even have pine trees. Ditto for the needles. The needles are very difficult to rake properly, sometimes requiring a garden rake, not leaf rake, to get down deep and loosen them. Next come the dead and live branches that fall on the lawn, from tiny sticks to branches 10 inches in diameter. Again, hundreds of them each year. They need to be picked up, sawed to disposable length and carted off to the dump or placed on your own property. Finally, two fallen pines in the last 6 months that had to be removed, one of them costing $2500 and that was a bargain in my area.

You have to clean up all this debris in the spring before you can mow. This year there was so much debris on the lawn from the pine trees that it was impossible to clean it all up before the grass grew. Now I have 10" tall grass, which greatly increases the danger of exposure to TICKS. It's not fun searching for branches in tall grass, wearing long pants and a long-sleeved shirt while lathered up in deet when it's 85 degrees. Due to the tall grass I destroyed my lawn mower a couple of years ago when I ran over a small tree stump I didn't see.

I could easily clean up debris from these trees every day of the week and make three trips a week to the dump. Since I'm a working person, all this physical labor costs me a lot of money away from my paid work, exhaustion, and stress on the body, leaving little time for leisure activities I'd rather be doing. It's easy to love pines in a forest. They are beautiful, but I no longer romanticize about them in a yard. If the physical labor doesn't deter you, the danger of them falling on your house really should. In my heavily pine-forested state, after storms with heavy wet snow or severe wind storms, you're MUCH more likely to see fallen pines than deciduous trees.

Grass grows copiously under my pine trees, and they are 100 times messier than my maple trees. Dealing with maple leaves in the fall is far easier than dealing with everything that falls from white pines year round. There are efficient tools and methods for getting rid of leaves, but not pine cones and pine needles.

I can state with certainty that pine trees create an ENORMOUS amount of hard physical labor for the home owner. Over the past 12 months I have picked up and disposed of thousands upon thousands of pine cones because it was the height of the 3-5 year cone cycle. Some cones can be raked. Others need to be picked up by hand or with a grabber one. cone. at. a. time. Due to the frequent windstorms, the cones blew a couple hundred feet into sections of the yard that don't even have pine trees. Ditto for the needles. The needles are very difficult to rake properly, sometimes requiring a garden rake, not leaf rake, to get down deep and loosen them. Next come the dead and live branches that fall on the lawn, from tiny sticks to branches 10 inches in diameter. Again, hundreds of them each year. They need to be picked up, sawed to disposable length and carted off to the dump or placed on your own property. Finally, two fallen pines in the last 6 months that had to be removed, one of them costing $2500 and that was a bargain in my area.

You have to clean up all this debris in the spring before you can mow. This year there was so much debris on the lawn from the pine trees that it was impossible to clean it all up before the grass grew. Now I have 10" tall grass, which greatly increases the danger of exposure to TICKS. It's not fun searching for branches in tall grass, wearing long pants and a long-sleeved shirt while lathered up in deet when it's 85 degrees. Due to the tall grass I destroyed my lawn mower a couple of years ago when I ran over a small tree stump I didn't see.

I could easily clean up debris from these trees every day of the week and make three trips a week to the dump. Since I'm a working person, all this physical labor costs me a lot of money away from my paid work, exhaustion, and stress on the body, leaving little time for leisure activities I'd rather be doing. It's easy to love pines in a forest. They are beautiful, but I no longer romanticize about them in a yard. If the physical labor doesn't deter you, the danger of them falling on your house really should. In my heavily pine-forested state, after storms with heavy wet snow or severe wind storms, you're MUCH more likely to see fallen pines than deciduous trees.
... and yet, humans build their homes among the pines. Go figure. :rolleyes:

One or two big pine trees around a yard or building is not too big of a chore about clean-up but several large pines are a pain.

Pine needles/cones usually have to be raked yearly into a pile and then hauled off.

The clean-up requires lots more physical labor as compared to leaves.
Also Pines needles usually have to eventually be swept/cleaned from top of buildings due to compact build-up. Wind and leaf blowers do not move the pine needles around as compared to leaves.

I have 12 big pines around a 20x30 garage and about same amount around a 40x60 metal building. A real pain keeping the water channels cleaned and the roofs of the building.

Previous owners that built the place were city folks that had no idea what kind of mess the Beautiful pines would cause. I'm slowly removing them myself and have to do controlled felling using winch cables. Large dead limbs falling off he pines happen more often also as compared to the Oak trees in and around the yard and buildings.

Back