288 vs 385/390 opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinstihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a general use big saw. For context I'm currently running a Makita 4300, Echo 590, and a clone G395 for my 3 saw plan. The Echo is generally what I reach for the most, and the 395 only comes out for milling or large stumps because of the weight.

I'm looking for a saw that can easily run a 28" bar buried in Texas hardwoods while still being manageable to run all day, leaving the 36" bar strapped on the G395, and the 288 and 385/390 seem to fit the bill. I'm also open to similar size Stihl saws, 066/660 (which I used to own and regret selling), 046/460 and the like. Ideally around the 5 cube range give or take a few cc, as long as it pulls a 28" with authority and isn't too heavy

Any input will be much appreciated.

I'm in the market for a general use big saw. For context I'm currently running a Makita 4300, Echo 590, and a clone G395 for my 3 saw plan. The Echo is generally what I reach for the most, and the 395 only comes out for milling or large stumps because of the weight.

I'm looking for a saw that can easily run a 28" bar buried in Texas hardwoods while still being manageable to run all day, leaving the 36" bar strapped on the G395, and the 288 and 385/390 seem to fit the bill. I'm also open to similar size Stihl saws, 066/660 (which I used to own and regret selling), 046/460 and the like. Ideally around the 5 cube range give or take a few cc, as long as it pulls a 28" with authority and isn't too heavy

Any input will be much appreciated.
372xp

I'd take the 385 over 390 and 288 stock for stock. Take 390 over 288. If going G288 then it for the cheap cost for sure.

Will pull 32" no problem. So 28" no brainer.

I ran a G372xp pro with 28 testing hardwood buried. Meh not what I want with 28" buried hardwoods. Norm I ran 20-24 on those.
Then a G288 28" buried felt like 372 on steroids. stock to stock.
Then G395 with 36" in same wood. It laughed at the 36" buried.

One pic was a local testing one in G288. He sort of scared me watching him do his foot like that.
He bought one and ported it.

Attachments

• h385p505.jpg
    h385p505.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • g288tttt.jpg
    g288tttt.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • g288demoo.jpg
    g288demoo.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
  • g3953666.jpg
    g3953666.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
  • g3953637520.jpg
    g3953637520.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
  • g372prooooo.jpg
    g372prooooo.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
I’m in Texas too, often cutting big live oak, and I run a 395xp for the big stuff. I run 32, 42, and 48 inch bars and often feel like I could use more. The 395 is a great saw for big stuff. While the 372 is great, I’d get an even bigger saw for those stumps and occasional 5 foot, plus trunks. I often cut limbs that are nearly 4 feet in diameter.

I’m in Texas too, often cutting big live oak, and I run a 395xp for the big stuff. I run 32, 42, and 48 inch bars and often feel like I could use more. The 395 is a great saw for big stuff. While the 372 is great, I’d get an even bigger saw for those stumps and occasional 5 foot, plus trunks. I often cut limbs that are nearly 4 feet in diameter.
Where in Texas are you at? Most of my cutting is in the Central and East Texas areas, and the biggest I cut is usually around 36” diameter. The really big wood I’m reserving for my G395 w/ a 36” bar, I just need something a touch smaller for general purpose big cutting on a 28” bar

I'd take the 385 over 390 and 288 stock for stock. Take 390 over 288. If going G288 then it for the cheap cost for sure.

Will pull 32" no problem. So 28" no brainer.

I ran a G372xp pro with 28 testing hardwood buried. Meh not what I want with 28" buried hardwoods. Norm I ran 20-24 on those.
Then a G288 28" buried felt like 372 on steroids. stock to stock.
Then G395 with 36" in same wood. It laughed at the 36" buried.

One pic was a local testing one in G288. He sort of scared me watching him do his foot like that.
He bought one and ported it.
Did the 385 have better port timing than the 390 stock for stock?

I have a 390xp w/36" on it, brother has a 385xp w/32" both rock stock. I've never been able to tell a power difference in either of them. I'm not sure if it has to do with his is a late model 385 and my 390xp is an early model. I'd rather fell/buck/limb with either over a 394/5xp. I just use my 394 on the mill and not for much else. Handling is night and day difference between them.

Where in Texas are you at? Most of my cutting is in the Central and East Texas areas, and the biggest I cut is usually around 36” diameter. The really big wood I’m reserving for my G395 w/ a 36” bar, I just need something a touch smaller for general purpose big cutting on a 28” bar
I’m down south, by the gulf coast between Corpus and Galveston. The majority of my cutting consists of live oak, pecan, swamp oak(they call it pin oak but it’s not), and hackberry. If you are going to buy a new 70cc saw. The 372 or Echo 7310 would be my first choice, preferably the 7310.

I have a 390xp w/36" on it, brother has a 385xp w/32" both rock stock. I've never been able to tell a power difference in either of them. I'm not sure if it has to do with his is a late model 385 and my 390xp is an early model. I'd rather fell/buck/limb with either over a 394/5xp. I just use my 394 on the mill and not for much else. Handling is night and day difference between them.
I owned a 385 a few years ago. It was a great saw that pretty much filled my needs for a 20 inch to 32 inch bar. You’re right about the 395… I used to be able to wield it all day but now I mostly just use it for only where it’s needed. It’s heavy, and it’s usually at least 90 degrees where I cut.

I have ran the 288, 385 and 390. It's been many years, but I remember the 288 being heavier and having more torque than the 385/390. The 288 had a great reputation in Upper MI amongst loggers.
With that said the 288xp hasn't been sold here in decades and parts are not stocked typically. The 390xp on the other hand was sold here until last year and is a modern saw. Some are still at dealers.

Did the 385 have better port timing than the 390 stock for stock?
IMHO yes. I work on a locals 390 and seems to have less azz so to speak in the cuts pushed.

If I was given the choice I would buy 385 over a 390 used. But if new you have no choice 390.

Ported wont matter.

Attachments

• h390.jpg
    h390.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
I have ran the 288, 385 and 390. It's been many years, but I remember the 288 being heavier and having more torque than the 385/390. The 288 had a great reputation in Upper MI amongst loggers.
With that said the 288xp hasn't been sold here in decades and parts are not stocked typically. The 390xp on the other hand was sold here until last year and is a modern saw. Some are still at dealers.
I noticed Traverse Creek has imported 288s for $1100 PHO, but I guess they either sell like hotcakes or don't ship a lot at a time b/c they're usually out of stock.

I noticed Traverse Creek has imported 288s for $1100 PHO, but I guess they either sell like hotcakes or don't ship a lot at a time b/c they're usually out of stock.
They are still being made new on production lines down in Brazil.

288= old school, solid, reliable (if not trashed in previous life), easy to work on, bearings and seals easy to find.
385= more nimble, user comfort levels are better, appears slightly more economic on fuel, early ones had bearing issues on the PTO side.
390= much of the same as the latter 385, no huge gains- bit like the old 357 and 359, similar saws- but not the same saws.

Get a 70cc saw, 044/440/272xp/372xp keep the small ones for limbing and smaller trees. You have the 395xp clone for bigger wood and the 70cc saw will pull a 32 no problem in hardwood with a sharp chain and it weighs 2 pounds less so it won't beat you up.

Info from 2017 by a dealer.

Dont kill the messenger, but info is out there to read. :cheers:

Husqvarna dealer from GA Onan18 says

Between the 385 and 390 I would pick the 385 all day every day. The timing numbers and port shapes were almost perfect from the factory because it was designed from day one to be what it was. The 390 was more of an afterthought "We have to get in the 90cc class to compete with the MS 660" so it is essentially a factory big bore and they had to compromise on the port shapes to make room for the larger piston. Also, while 1mm does not sound like much, the 390 piston is MUCH HEAVIER than the 385 piston. As a result the 390 is known for killing cranks, in as little as one year in commercial duty even with decent care and good oil.

Just last week I slapped a 36" bar and full comp ripping chain on my 288xpg to cut some fairly large trunks of pedunculate oak (3,5-4' diam) length wise because our tractor couldn't lift the pieces whole. Sort of freehand "milling" one cut while standing on top of the trunc - 36" bar completely burried. The 288 pulled that off okay, but more or less at its limits I'd say. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised with how it did that job. I'm sure there will be modern saws with equal power that are a little more nimble, but I work this saw a lot for falling and bucking with normal chain too and it handles fine enough for me to run it hours on end. I basically collect "old" saws, so my other 90cc range saws are all much heavier and to me this is my "modern" beast (not much need for bigger saws around here) for real usage. Always starts and runs beautifully - never lets me down.

Info from 2017 by a dealer.

Dont kill the messenger, but info is out there to read. :cheers:

Husqvarna dealer from GA Onan18 says

Between the 385 and 390 I would pick the 385 all day every day. The timing numbers and port shapes were almost perfect from the factory because it was designed from day one to be what it was. The 390 was more of an afterthought "We have to get in the 90cc class to compete with the MS 660" so it is essentially a factory big bore and they had to compromise on the port shapes to make room for the larger piston. Also, while 1mm does not sound like much, the 390 piston is MUCH HEAVIER than the 385 piston. As a result the 390 is known for killing cranks, in as little as one year in commercial duty even with decent care and good oil.
I’m not arguing the validity of that at all, but I know a guy who has been milling with one forever in Colorado. He’s milled tons of lumber with it and has replaced the top end but no crank issues. However, the 385 that I ran was a rebuild from a bad main bearing in 2015. It’s still running as far as I know.

Just last week I slapped a 36" bar and full comp ripping chain on my 288xpg to cut some fairly large trunks of pedunculate oak (3,5-4' diam) length wise because our tractor couldn't lift the pieces whole. Sort of freehand "milling" one cut while standing on top of the trunc - 36" bar completely burried. The 288 pulled that off okay, but more or less at its limits I'd say. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised with how it did that job. I'm sure there will be modern saws with equal power that are a little more nimble, but I work this saw a lot for falling and bucking with normal chain too and it handles fine enough for me to run it hours on end. I basically collect "old" saws, so my other 90cc range saws are all much heavier and to me this is my "modern" beast (not much need for bigger saws around here) for real usage. Always starts and runs beautifully - never lets me down.
Nothing wrong with a a 288. A 390 would feel a little better but don’t know if it’s any stronger. The 395 is becoming antiquated, however one of the smoothest saws I’ve ran.

If I remember correctly this was the same time period the 365/372 was having crank/bearing issues as well. I remember complaints about the late model 385 as well. Parrisw had quite a lot of issues, I believe he deduced unlimited coils and low oil ratios to be some of the culprit, but nothing was ever really definitive, other then there was definatly an issue.

Latest posts

Back