Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singinwoodwackr
This one’s kinda local. I’m surprised, I thought it was only a northeast thing.

View attachment 1143460
When I was on a firewood crew out of Merced, way back, we took out an English walnut orchard that had 4 huge black/Claro walnuts. We contacted Calico Hardwoods (gunstock mfg) in Santa Rosa and they came down with 2 flatbeds and a loader. Wrote the farmer a $4,000 check.
turned out they travel quite a distance for good trees…Ca, Or, Nev, wherever.

mountainguyed67
When I was on a firewood crew out of Merced, way back, we took out an English walnut orchard that had 4 huge black/Claro walnuts. We contacted Calico Hardwoods (gunstock mfg) in Santa Rosa and they came down with 2 flatbeds and a loader. Wrote the farmer a $4,000 check.
turned out they travel quite a distance for good trees…Ca, Or, Nev, wherever.

Although likely to still be true, do you see someone with the capability to safely remove a tree in a neighborhood, with insurance, etc paying $1,000 to remove the tree. Maybe the homeowner can pay a tree service to remove the tree and stack the logs up, then the homeowner can contact a hardwoods company to come get it, and pay him accordingly.

singinwoodwackr
Although likely to still be true, do you see someone with the capability to safely remove a tree in a neighborhood, with insurance, etc paying $1,000 to remove the tree. Maybe the homeowner can pay a tree service to remove the tree and stack the logs up, then the homeowner can contact a hardwoods company to come get it, and pay him accordingly.
There was another tree taken down at a nearby farm, near 12’ at the base, they had to quarter the main trunk to get it loaded. English Walnut. The company , not Calico, that did the removal paid the owner $10k. No cost to the owner. Crazy deal back then.
they left a huge branch section…ran out of trailer room…and Calico picked it up.
I have no idea if that sort of deal is done now days…doubt it. This was late 80s.

Latest posts