Echo CS-590, what won’t I like about it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything on the 590 is upgradeable to the 620 parts. The big upgrade will be the ignition module. The 590 module is limited in max rpm whereas the 620 module is rev limited much higher and of course it's plug and play.

The one big upgrade is of course removing the top baffle on the muff. That will result in more grunt and a much more pleasant exhaust note as well. That and the Red beard oiled foam air cleaner and velocity stack.

My 590 is my main work and firewood saw for the majority of jobs I come across. I run a 24" bar w/ RS chain, which makes it a decent limbing and ground level saw, and if I've gotta bury the bar, it'll still pull the 24 pretty well for my tastes. I did a muffler mod and a base gasket delete to mine, both super simple mods, and it's for sure quicker than a 362 after those mods, but a 400C will still beat it handily, which I'd expect it to given the price.

Not to mention it's by far my most dependable saw I've owned, it's never missed a beat or broken down in the 2 years I've owned mine. I've pushed the saw past 60cc expectations via milling 20" white oak, among many other types of wood for a week straight alongside my clone 395, the 590 asked for more while my 395 had some oiler issues. For $400 nothing comes close unless we start talking used 044/046/460 and the like

Nice thing about Echo and that is, don't matter where you bought it, every Echo dealer will honor any warranty claim (except if straight gassed) and will be happy to sell you parts and accessories as well, unlike the grumpy Stihl dealers who want you to buy the saw from them and if you didn't, won't give you the time of day.

It's ok to be 'Caddy' I guess but that don't equate to a repeat customer.

The dealer I work for takes in any and all Echo's, don't matter where they came from. In fact, I bought my 590 on the Net from an out of state seller. Same with my CS top handle saw.

I own Stihl's (have 3 of them) but I now prefer Echo's. Like Makita, quality Japanese designed and reliable as a rock.
I like the Japanese aspect of Echo as well and find them simple and their engines, very high quality, but just in case you were referring to Makita saws, those are rebranded German saws. I once owned a Maryuyama branded Dolmar… talk about confusion! 😊

My philosophy is, I don't internally fiddle with them unless necessary and neither of my Echo's have ever required fiddling with. I will say that I did replace the muffler on the CS top handle with a non cat muffler which Echo sells in their parts catalog, that and I removed the plastic shroud over the carb throat. The easier they breathe, the better they run and it appears to me at least that Echo sets them rich from the factory. I'm 100% happy with both. No negatives here except the cobbly kill toggle on the 590. Always a 20" bar for me on the 590. It's an easy starter as well so long as you don't overdo the primer bulb.

My philosophy is, I don't internally fiddle with them unless necessary and neither of my Echo's have ever required fiddling with. I will say that I did replace the muffler on the CS top handle with a non cat muffler which Echo sells in their parts catalog, that and I removed the plastic shroud over the carb throat. The easier they breathe, the better they run and it appears to me at least that Echo sets them rich from the factory. I'm 100% happy with both. No negatives here except the cobbly kill toggle on the 590. Always a 20" bar for me on the 590. It's an easy starter as well so long as you don't overdo the primer bulb.
Primer bulb ?

Nice thing about Echo and that is, don't matter where you bought it, every Echo dealer will honor any warranty claim (except if straight gassed) and will be happy to sell you parts and accessories as well, unlike the grumpy Stihl dealers who want you to buy the saw from them and if you didn't, won't give you the time of day.

It's ok to be 'Caddy' I guess but that don't equate to a repeat customer.

The dealer I work for takes in any and all Echo's, don't matter where they came from. In fact, I bought my 590 on the Net from an out of state seller. Same with my CS top handle saw.

I own Stihl's (have 3 of them) but I now prefer Echo's. Like Makita, quality Japanese designed and reliable as a rock.
I had a dealer tell me they'd warranty service Echo's purchased elsewhere once or twice, but they said if people keep buying them elsewhere, they would tell people they couldn't service them. Same dealer that wouldn't warranty repair a tophandle CS355T saw that broke when the bar got jammed in a log and I gently pulled up and the handle separated. Took it to another dealer, and they got it "mostly" fixed (top cover under handle never quite stays on unless it's taped with gorilla tape, as the tabs don't stay locked in place. They took a long time (like 3 months) and had to replace so many parts that they said Echo should have just replaced the saw, and that Echo's warranty service had gone way downhill. At least one dealer told me that Echo under-reimburses the dealers on warranty work. They said Stihl would have definitely replaced the saw rather than re-build it. While the CS590 is great, stay away from their tophandles.

I find the opposite to be true and I work part time for the dealer but in a different capacity, I don't work on saws, I deliver tractors for him so I cannot comment on that except to say that I've never seen them turn away any warranty work on any Echo power tools.

I will say that Echo has some very steadfast rules regarding what is warranted and what isn't and the very first thing that has to happen is the fuel has to be drained and inspected and if it's been straight gassed, no warranty. I know that. far as the rest goes, I'm not involved in it.

I do know that Echo uses a flat rate manual for repairs, warranty or otherwise so if the tech exceeds the flat rate time, it's on them, not Echo, but everyone is like that, not just them.

I don't have warranty issues simply because I don't do stupid things like straight gas them or drop them from up high or use them as wedges among other abusive stuff.

To me, it's a tool and I treat all tools with respect and follow the guidelines published in the owners manuals.

Just bought an Echo straight shaft scratcher-brushcutter the other day with handlebars and so far, I like it just fine. It replaced the ancient Stihl FS66 I've owned for decades.

Bought it from the dealer I work for and got it at dealer cost. Being an employee has distinct advantages and it fits my Stihl tri cut head as well.

I had a dealer tell me they'd warranty service Echo's purchased elsewhere once or twice, but they said if people keep buying them elsewhere, they would tell people they couldn't service them. Same dealer that wouldn't warranty repair a tophandle CS355T saw that broke when the bar got jammed in a log and I gently pulled up and the handle separated. Took it to another dealer, and they got it "mostly" fixed (top cover under handle never quite stays on unless it's taped with gorilla tape, as the tabs don't stay locked in place. They took a long time (like 3 months) and had to replace so many parts that they said Echo should have just replaced the saw, and that Echo's warranty service had gone way downhill. At least one dealer told me that Echo under-reimburses the dealers on warranty work. They said Stihl would have definitely replaced the saw rather than re-build it. While the CS590 is great, stay away from their tophandles.
That comment is entirely your PERSONAL opinion and not much else that I can see and I don't find that to hold water at the dealer I work at, at all.

Again, I'm not going to kibbitz about it and the main reason why I don't comment on this site very much as everything tends to become adversarial in nature and I have better things to do than debate anyway.

I'll purchase what I want and you do the same. I'm not some snot nosed impressionable kid by a long shot and never will be.

That comment is entirely your PERSONAL opinion and not much else that I can see and I don't find that to hold water at the dealer I work at, at all.

Again, I'm not going to kibbitz about it and the main reason why I don't comment on this site very much as everything tends to become adversarial in nature and I have better things to do than debate anyway.

I'll purchase what I want and you do the same. I'm not some snot nosed impressionable kid by a long shot and never will be.
Warranty repair work is going to vary a bunch dealer to dealer. What happened is my actual experience, and what the dealers have actually told me, not my personal opinion. You are essentially calling me a liar by saying that what happened to me is my opinion. That is an insult, and yet you complain about the "adversarial in nature" of this site. Funny thing is, you're the one contributing to that by calling facts personal opinions. You can certainly buy what you want, nobody is stopping you. But I have years of experience running equipment, and I'll tell you that the 355t isn't built very well, but the CS590 is built very well, and some of Echo's equipment is also built quite well.

Warranty repair work is going to vary a bunch dealer to dealer. What happened is my actual experience, and what the dealers have actually told me, not my personal opinion. You are essentially calling me a liar by saying that what happened to me is my opinion. That is an insult, and yet you complain about the "adversarial in nature" of this site. Funny thing is, you're the one contributing to that by calling facts personal opinions. You can certainly buy what you want, nobody is stopping you. But I have years of experience running equipment, and I'll tell you that the 355t isn't built very well, but the CS590 is built very well, and some of Echo's equipment is also built quite well.
IMO if they were to redesign the 355 to bigger version of the 2511, I’m sure they’d sell like hotcakes. 355 has got some flaws that need to be addressed for sure

Not calling you anything at all actually. Just stating what I know from my dealer's perspective but then I am an employee so I'm a bit biased. This is just a forum and not a life or death thing. Like I said, your experience and mine differ and I'll leave it at that.

Without getting into a tirade about mistreated, unusable saws, I want a decent 60ish cc saw for a truck saw so my 562 can live at my house and the big saws can live at the shop. I am used to Husqvarna professional saws 60cc and up. The Echo seems to only have positive feedback and is priced well below the competition. I just need it to be reliable and big enough for most anything i would tackle in emergency/unplanned situations.
Any input is appreciated.
I tried one out a few weeks back. It ran fine, but if you're accustomed to 60cc+ HVA pro saws, you will probably be underwhelmed with a 590 Timberwolf. I'd take the gamble on a beat up used 372xp any day over an Echo.

I tried one out a few weeks back. It ran fine, but if you're accustomed to 60cc+ HVA pro saws, you will probably be underwhelmed with a 590 Timberwolf. I'd take the gamble on a beat up used 372xp any day over an Echo.
Maybe so but the most important requirement of a "truck saw" is that it starts every time. The Husky won't do that even when new.

Back