How “rebuildable” are mid-level or modest pro-level chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm 4th generation in a residential Tree Service. I have all pro saws. I have saws my dad bought new in the 70's. But, the three I use the most are a Stihl MS 170, MS 290 and MS 660. I guess the 170 and 290 don't really count as pro saws. Anyway, if you spend the most money to buy the best pro saw, and then only use it twice a year, you are going to have the same fuel problems the cheap saws have. I have saws with 36 and 45 inch bars and if I want to use them, I've got to screw around with the carbs because they have sat for a year. My 3 go to saws get started and run at least a couple times a week. I should have said I'm a retired 4th generation Licensed Tree Surgeon. My saws only get used to play with. I also have 4 JD tractors and they have the same problems with fuel. If they sit, the carbs get gooped up. I use my tractors year round, two mow, snow blow, and split wood, they get run several times a week yearr round. The others I start up when i happen to walk by them. The more you use them, the less you have to do to them.

a. palmer jr.
If you don't use a chainsaw much you might be in for a little trouble if you don't start it up occasionally, especially if you leave fuel in it like many of us do. I left a few of my saws sitting for a few years with no fuel in them and they were a real pain to start when I decided to use them. Of course this 80 year old arm might not be as good as it was either. I'm now switching to all de-comp equipped chainsaws for the future..

Farmer_Nate

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Not an oil thread...

The newer oils which come with a stabilizer seem to work much better when left to sit than the older oils. Seems they can handle a few months of no use without gumming up the works. Nevertheless, I like to fire up a saw and let her run a few minutes once a month or so at least. Works for me. Good for the soul. Exhaust therapy.

Latest posts