milling on the cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrypac

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have enough cedar logs (8"-12" diameter) to make 5 new raised beds, approximately 4'x12', in our garden, but would like to mill 2 edges so they do not take up so much space. So 20 pieces total. My saws are all in the 40-45 cc range so I doubt they would do the job without a lot of effort, and I'm 75 years old so that is a big factor for me. What would the minimum outlay be to get set up for this project, and Is it even worth it for me to buy the necessary equipment to accomplish this? I assume I would need some sort of platform in addition to the other equipment so I'm not working on logs that are down on the ground. Thanks, Larry

Even though the logs are small a bigger saw would be better/needed. If you could find a good used ~70-75cc saw and Alaskan type mill that would do the work. Add in a couple of sharp chains and means to sharpen them. For raised beds regular crosscut chain should work fine.

A simple support could be made from some "firewood grade" logs. The bigger the logs/rounds the higher off the ground you'll be but also heavier to setup/move. For each end, notch two ~3' rounds in the middle to support a third of the same size. Take a split off one edge of the third log for the top, so you'll have a "flat surface" to rest the logs you are milling on. Not sure if my description is clear? The 6 rounds could be rolled around to move and stored like cordwood for future use.

Check trading post here for saw and milling equipment, can place a wanted ad there too.

You might also be able to find a member here who lives nearby with a portable setup that would do the milling. If I was closer I might trade the work for some cedar logs. I have outdoor projects too.

Honestly, it's cedar, it's small, with lo pro chain you could easily mill the logs with an MS250 45cc size saw quite fast without stressing it too much. It goes against conventional wisdom expressed by most milling folks, but with 3/8" Picco/lo pro chain in .050 or .043 gauge you can get away with a surprisingly small saw. Hell, some hobbyists have used small electric chainsaws successfully. In fact the nice thing about using a 3005 mount Stihl like the MS250 is a variety of Picco sprockets and chains and bars are widely available for them for dirt cheap. You can get a cheap Chinese Alaskan mill, or you could just get a Granberg open ended small log mill, the G777, in which case you wouldn't lose any bar length in the mill and could mill with just a 14 or 16" bar. I was planning to use my G777 mill with my MS251 and 3/8LP .043 ripping chain for small projects like you're suggesting but for much harder woods. It makes for a fantastically light easy to use milling rig. You're supposed to use solid body bars with the G777 instead of laminated ones, but at that size I don't think it makes a difference. What chainsaws do you have and do you already use any lo pro bars and sprockets on them?

I have
Stihl 025. 18", .325, 063 (1.6), 68 DL, bought off Craigslist 15 years ago for $125 that I have done nothing but filters and chains for and runs like a top

Husky 350 18". .050, .325, 72 DL, bought new in 2003, had the muffler come loose about 2008 and I wanted to finish the cut I was doing and melted a hole in the oil tank. Fixed it with JB weld and fiberglass insect screen and its still running. Last year it started running poorly and I was ready to abandon it but discovered a cylinder screw loose so I got a new gasket and put it back together and still running nicely.

And a Husky 435. .050, .325, 66DL. that I got at a yardsale a few years ago for $50 and rebuilt the carb, lighter than the others for limbing

I would be tempted to agree with @Coralillo Lo Pro ... I've milled redwood upto 12" with a boxstore 42cc Zenoah clone running 3/8 lo pro on an 18" bar. I did it as an experiment with a saw I wasn't concerned about burning up & to my surprise it did remarkably well. Husky 350 is definitely more saw than that clone was & I'd imagine the 025 would be too. I'd give it a go on which ever of those you can set up with the narrowest chain... or sacrifice a .325 chain & turn it into a Granberg grind.
Mix your fuel at 32:1 & tune the saw a bit rich. If you use the 350 make sure it has the upgraded intake clamp & check the cylinder, & exhaust bolts first - all comon issues with these saws.
Let us know how things work out

I put a 353 on the edging mill cutting the sides off some 12-16"dia doug-fir. Just did it for one log to see.

Worked fine, but would've been better not at 30* angles (just a work chain.)

I switched out my .325 sprocket on my MS251 to this, only $16. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B79X5PQZ

I bought a 16" Tsumura 3/8LP .043 bar from Archer for under $30 w free shipping. This is the same bar in .050. https://archerplus.com/products/16-...020-021-023-ms250?_pos=7&_sid=c20eb6f38&_ss=r

For more all around compatibility and ease of buying ripping chains for it, you probably want to get the .050 bar. An important note - 16" bars standardly call for 55 drive links in 3/8LP, but 55DL is a link too short due to moving up to a 7 tooth rim sprocket from a 6 tooth spur sprocket. I just barely squeezed mine on as others have, but it's difficult. Want a 56DL chain like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/122961234126 The Laser .050 3/8LP ripping chain I got for another saw is actually the Granberg grind that JD mentioned, so that's kind of a bonus.

You could get an 18" bar if you were getting a cheap conventional little 24" Alaskan mill, where you lose 5-6" off the bar length in the mill, so the most you could mill with an 18" bar would be about a 12" wide log. If you go the single clamp open ended "small log mill" route the 16" bar is more than enough, but the Granberg G777 has gotten kinda pricey for what it is, I got mine for $129 at Northern Tool after sale and coupon discount, but they're up to $175 now and no one seems to be discounting them. The Holzfforma Chinese knockoff of it is about $109.

Back