Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I feel that cutting wood from piled straight logs that someone else did for you is not quite the same as cutting from trees that have come down naturally that you have to think and work through. Never mind the snakes, scorpions, bull ants and drop bears that we have to contend with over here. I think that @H-Ranch should have a few points deducted from his score for the SOTY trophy because it is just a bit too easy cutting from a pile. There, I said it.

:laugh:
😭

You know, I feel that cutting wood from piled straight logs that someone else did for you is not quite the same as cutting from trees that have come down naturally that you have to think and work through. Never mind the snakes, scorpions, bull ants and drop bears that we have to contend with over here. I think that @H-Ranch should have a few points deducted from his score for the SOTY trophy because it is just a bit too easy cutting from a pile. There, I said it.

Stihl have 7 months in the SOTY race. Just biding my time watching the competition. :laughing:

Well... you're not wrong! :numberone:

When i put headers on my 73 f250 360 fe I got the 2 piece headers for it. Did my 75 with one piece headers and that was enough to make me cuss worse then i normally do.
Thats wild, I put headers on my '66 f100 when I put the 390 in it and it was one of the easiest things I have done. I can not imagine the '75 is that much different.

1714652276157.png

Got to run the repaired 290 against my 590 in some 20” oak. I forgot how slow the 029/290 was for the weight, I thought 16” .325 it had would give it the win over the 590 running 24” 3/8.

Nope, the 590 gave the 290 a beatdown even with the 50% longer bar and bigger chain. And it was cutting 4” more wood than the 290. Granted the 290 had semi chisel as opposed to the full chisel on the 590, both were freshly sharpened to the same extent. Both were tuned to 4 stroke with no load and immediately clean up under load, everything under my control was as equal as possible. 290 is also stock whereas the 590 has a muffler mod and base gasket delete.
I just ran one of my dads 290s in a big ash on Tuesday. I forgot how underwhelming they are, and it does not help that my grandfather swapped the chains to 3/8 20in so they would interchange with everything else.

IIRC when I dropped a 350cid chevy small block into my 63 ChevyII I had to make a heat shield for the starter. The header was so close to it. Couldn't remove the starter without dropping the exhaust and removing the header from the engine. Those were the days. Somewhere between 45 and 50 years ago.
I have been contemplating the current standings in the SOTY race. @H-Ranch has had more truckloads lately. @Cowboy254 offsets some of that with his trailer. At this point Cowboys need to defend himself from those ferocious drop bears may give him a small lead momentarily. After all we have seen the fotos of his bloody bar and chain.
As you all can tell this has required a lot of thought on my part this morning. This requires nourishment.
IMG_2885.jpg
Sausage
IMG_2886.jpg
Eggs
IMG_2887.jpg
IMG_2888.jpg
Let's not forget some honey cornbread. The question for the day is: Do headers on farwood haulers get the job done faster?

Hey @Cowboy254, look at them come running now that they heard there is a trophy! Good luck getting it on a whim though - the last known sighting was with @dancan at an undisclosed location in Nova Scotia.
I knew about it. Just sitting back watching the (ahem) competition.:laugh:

I just ran one of my dads 290s in a big ash on Tuesday. I forgot how underwhelming they are, and it does not help that my grandfather swapped the chains to 3/8 20in so they would interchange with everything else.
I can’t imagine how slow it’d be with 3/8 20” if the one I ran struggled with 16” .325

Thats wild, I put headers on my '66 f100 when I put the 390 in it and it was one of the easiest things I have done. I can not imagine the '75 is that much different.

View attachment 1174191
Different body styles, different frames, possibly 2wd vs my 4x4. Not something I care to do again when there was an easier option.
IIRC when I dropped a 350cid chevy small block into my 63 ChevyII I had to make a heat shield for the starter. The header was so close to it. Couldn't remove the starter without dropping the exhaust and removing the header from the engine. Those were the days. Somewhere between 45 and 50 years ago.
I have been contemplating the current standings in the SOTY race. @H-Ranch has had more truckloads lately. @Cowboy254 offsets some of that with his trailer. At this point Cowboys need to defend himself from those ferocious drop bears may give him a small lead momentarily. After all we have seen the fotos of his bloody bar and chain.
As you all can tell this has required a lot of thought on my part this morning. This requires nourishment.
View attachment 1174233
Sausage
View attachment 1174234
Eggs
View attachment 1174235
View attachment 1174236
Let's not forget some honey cornbread. The question for the day is: Do headers on farwood haulers get the job done faster?
The banks long tubes I put on my 96 460 came with a heat shield for the starter, I'm not certain it needed it, but it went on anyway.

Load 14. Lucky to get away with my life today...

While I was cutting on the south side of the wood pile, in the baddest part of the woods today, the contractor came rolling up in his custom Continental. He has an El Dorado, too. Anyway, he had a 32 gun in his pocket (for fun.) And a razor in his shoe. But for some fast talking on my part, I would have been a goner. Just sayin'... it's not all puppy dogs and rainbows scrounging here!20240502_132509.jpg

Different body styles, different frames, possibly 2wd vs my 4x4. Not something I care to do again when there was an easier option.
The 4x4 is definitely the difference. The frames on the 2wd were relatively all the same from the rad support to the back of the cab on the 2wd from 65-79.

Latest posts

Back