Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good price if it's decent quality. 20 cord loads of green hardwood ( sugar maple, beech, red oak ) are fetching $2,000 - $2,500 for 20 cord loads around here and most ain't willing to deliver a ten cord load at all.
The only hardwoods we have here are urban trees. There may be 2 dozen Oak trees in the entire valley :p
The only steady source is conifers...red Fir and Pine and those come out of the higher forest lands, miles away.
I've been cutting old pulp stands that got abandoned when the mill closed, decades ago. The yard sells it as an economy firewood :p

That's a good price if it's decent quality. 20 cord loads of green hardwood ( sugar maple, beech, red oak ) are fetching $2,000 - $2,500 for 20 cord loads around here and most ain't willing to deliver a ten cord load at all.
it's logs not cut and split. His truck is an older L9000 doesn't have the biggest bunker on it. It's all good fire wood, but nothing mill grade. He grades his logs at his yard and separates out the mill/verneer grade stuff and the rest is sold off for fire wood. Depending on species and mill price depends on what stays at the yard or goes to the mill or get piled for fire wood logs.

Had some spare time to hang out with my electrician buddy at work today. Thankfully it was pretty slow. I got wire ordered for the generator, it should be enough to handle 75 amps, so if/when I upgrade I won't have to pull new wire from the shop to the house. Just need to get control wire for the generator and decide how many wires we need to run to control exterior lights out at the shop from in the house. Trying to get everything lined up so we can pull everything at once and not have to screw around pulling other wires later.

Decided this is all going to be firewood . Having a hard time keeping the chains sharp bucking it . Using the three saw plan use one till it dulls grab the next
People laugh at me when I do the three saw plan. When I'm working 50-60hrs a week, you gotta cut when you can.
It's been so long since I cut Locust, I was wondering that too. I sharpen every tank of gas and the chips aren't nearly as large as with softer woods.
Locust is probably what I cut the most of, if sharpening my chain is the hard part of dealing with it; it doesn't bother me a bit, compared to how it is to work with. Now, the prickers/thorns and the way the splinters feel I could do without!
A nice 1/8" chip is great in BL LOL.

Threw a crap scope I had laying around to give it a try

I’m happy!

Happy enough I ordered a “rimfire” specific scope from Midway tonight
View attachment 1176694
I'm looking forward to getting something like that. Nice looking build for sure. How'd it shoot.
Wish I could have afforded the one set up with a kidd barrel and a decent scope for 550 not long ago, but the timing just wasn't right.

I'm looking forward to getting something like that. Nice looking build for sure. How'd it shoot.
Wish I could have afforded the one set up with a kidd barrel and a decent scope for 550 not long ago, but the timing just wasn't right.
Chipper, that’s 10 rounds at 50yrds

I like using old shovel heads as targets🤣
I shot it once then aimed for the hole

Beer bottle I used for reference IMG_7126.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Think Mark is $2800? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/427854759785021/?ref=search

Didn’t want to keep working 7 hrs from home this year so went back to work for the firewood guy (Mark) little less pay but closer to home and more steady work. Getting the XS 562 mark 2 broke in last week 😁
View attachment 1176735
Last time I asked him it was $3500 but maybe the current tract is cheaper? That also was going to Midpine, up north a bit.
He has quite a pile of poplar/Cottonwood to haul now, lol. We got everything dropped the other day…last of the 3 sites. I’m guessing 400 cord by the time it all gets split 🤣
At least hauling is only a mile down the road for him.

Started working on my second pile of Bk Locust yesterday. The first pile still has two logs, one hollow, in it and some small branches. Didn't want to deal with that ugliness yet. I'll get to that last.
Full load.
View attachment 1176457
Some center rot in some of the rounds (bottom left) so I couldn't stay completely away from the ugliness. Also, I had a minor fatality too. The log yard is covered in wood chips which soaks up the water making it a bit spngey. I was maneuvering around and I bumped into a pile, taking out my front license plate bracket. Oh well, ordered another one.
en't replaced it yet
Eight to 10 more logs, in the 12" to 18" dia, so I'm guessing two more loads. Going after Cherry today. A load with a couple logs was dropped off recently up front and is more at risk. That is IF the saw works.

Had the same trouble as I posted in Stihl 038 Woes thread. I have to keep pumping the throttle to get it to cut at full throttle. I took the bar off so I could open the gas cap while running. Didn't help. Thought the gas tank vent (new) was plugged. Removed the air filter thinking it was clogged, and ran it. Didn't help. So I'll play with it some more today. Already replaced fuel filter/hose, impulse hose, spark plug. Thought the cracked kill switch wire making contact with the throttle wire was the problem. Saw started running right again. I haven't replaced it yet. Just pull the spark plug boot.

While messing with the bar off, I noticed an oily mess. I ran the saw and saw oil pumping out the hole. More than I've ever seen. Original oil pump. Only ran one tank of gas through yesterday, so I check and see the oil level remaining. Usually oil left when I run out of gas.

OMG that wood is ugly! And it smells.

:laugh:

OMG that wood is ugly! And it smells.

:laugh:

I cut some locust a few years ago. Seemed to be about the same on chains as the local eucalypts. Dried quickly, split awesomely. The torsional strength was amazing, I came across a sliver that was 4 inches across but wafer thin and it had almost no twist in it. Density was comparable to our local eucalypts, a bit denser than peppermint, a bit less dense than blue gum and quite a lot less dense than yellow box or ironbark.

But...

The ash factor was bad. I put a round of locust in next to a bigger round of peppermint.

28th Apr 1.jpg

A bit later...

28th Apr 5.jpg

The ash in the locust stopped it from burning down properly, I couldn't burn it on its own as it filled the firebox with ash and unburned charcoal. 1/3 locust with 2/3 peppermint burned down ok, but still a lot of ash.

All that said, I would stihl scrounge it. The BTUs are there and the bark is great in the firepit.

Stihl smells though :laugh:

The only hardwoods we have here are urban trees. There may be 2 dozen Oak trees in the entire valley :p
The only steady source is conifers...red Fir and Pine and those come out of the higher forest lands, miles away.
I've been cutting old pulp stands that got abandoned when the mill closed, decades ago. The yard sells it as an economy firewood :p
I'd give away 100 face cord of sugar maple tops, blow downs and standing culls if anyone I knew wanted to come get it.
it's logs not cut and split. His truck is an older L9000 doesn't have the biggest bunker on it. It's all good fire wood, but nothing mill grade. He grades his logs at his yard and separates out the mill/verneer grade stuff and the rest is sold off for fire wood. Depending on species and mill price depends on what stays at the yard or goes to the mill or get piled for fire wood logs.
I'm talking logs also, not cut and split.

I cut some locust a few years ago. Seemed to be about the same on chains as the local eucalypts. Dried quickly, split awesomely. The torsional strength was amazing, I came across a sliver that was 4 inches across but wafer thin and it had almost no twist in it. Density was comparable to our local eucalypts, a bit denser than peppermint, a bit less dense than blue gum and quite a lot less dense than yellow box or ironbark.

But...

The ash factor was bad. I put a round of locust in next to a bigger round of peppermint.

View attachment 1176738

A bit later...

View attachment 1176739

The ash in the locust stopped it from burning down properly, I couldn't burn it on its own as it filled the firebox with ash and unburned charcoal. 1/3 locust with 2/3 peppermint burned down ok, but still a lot of ash.

All that said, I would stihl scrounge it. The BTUs are there and the bark is great in the firepit.

Stihl smells though :laugh:
First time I had Bk Locust, when the bark fell off, I'd throw it in the burn pile. Now I save it for fire starting/kindling.

Log truck load , 24 footers 62 logs oak , IMG_2084.jpegIMG_2080.jpegIMG_2095.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2094.jpeg
    IMG_2094.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I'd give away 100 face cord of sugar maple tops, blow downs and standing culls if anyone I knew wanted to come get it.

I'm talking logs also, not cut and split.
Someone say maple :p.

20240419_140802.jpg

20240511_142942.jpg

Come and get it!
This is what's left after a buddy hauled a large load off on my 20' trailer, two 20' loads of brush, three 14' trailer loads of brush, and a 4x8 trailer load of chips and smaller debris.

20240511_204632.jpg

Latest posts

Back