Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably got some trash under the needle/seat. My old '93 Lowes started surging intermittently after the first mow, pulled the top off of the carb and there was some fine debris that would try to pull through the fuel passages but fall back out after I would turn it off making the surging random and unpredictable.

Agood cleaning will probably get you on your way if you're careful not to tear the gaskets
Most likely this . I only use non E gas in it so that’s not the problem . Going to try cleaning if not a new carb is like 35 bucks

A little more yesterday....the much needed rains over the past couple weeks made this area a bit soft.Made a good dent in the 2+ yr drought,this is usually a semi-wet area most of the year from late March to late June anyway.Finally ''normal'' precipitation for Apr,into May,almost there now for the year to date totals. Near center of pic you can probably see the cut stump of that dead leaning Red Oak I removed a couple weeks back.I left the wood (about a 1/3rd of it was on other side of that shallow ravine),in same spot until returning,carrying it across to other side,then using 2 wheel dolly to bring it to the truck.DSC04509.JPG

Need to get the old garage door fixed/rebuilt so I can get the John Deere 110 with the heavy duty cart back outside.Until then,when I'm working in certain areas that might get the truck stuck (and no way of getting out really since I'm by myself most of the time) I park as close as I dare,then use 2 wheel dolly to haul the logs through the grass to the truck,then loading it one at a time.Not the best way or certainly the easiest,but its good cardio lol and will work for now until things are different.Plus the dolly works better for me than a regular wheelbarrow -I used one of those so much on the job all those years you can say I'm fed up with them haha.Though like most tools,they have their place & certain uses,just not here.A dolly you almost never have to lift the heavy logs up at all.Where as with the wheelbarrow you have to lift them INTO the tub,which can be a real PITA & back breaker....
Havent lost my strength yet,but am in no real rush (good thing too) and my stamina/endurance is mostly gone compared to age 35-40,but thats normal.Still it keeps me going,I stop to rest for a couple minutes every 30 min or so now.No big deal.
DSC04518.JPG
Smaller White Oak snag I'll be getting before too long.Almost perfect sized,(though I prefer bigger stuff when available) just a couple rounds from the stump end will need split,and then,just in half.

DSC04514.JPG
Pile of mostly Bur Oak branches/tops,from a nearby blowdown last Fall.I'll start on these too before long.If the wood is sound,I bring in anything over 1" diameter,that up to 2" is used for kindling/fire starter.Anything less than 1" diameter is left in neat brush piles for the wildlife,rabbits etc & the birds like that for shelter.

Here in the random pile its 2" to around 6" diameter,roughly.In a year or so,the smaller sizes will be quite dry & ready to burn,once its cut to shorter lengths - 12" to 16" or so.

Largest chunks are close to 100 pounds,that's pretty much my lifting/carrying limit now,and I try to be slow/careful when doing so,not as reckless when younger 👍 What's that old saying "Slow & steady wins the race"? I dont know about that,but I DO know when I take things slow & methodical I dont hurt near as much (if at all) in the next days afterwards....

DSC04521.JPG
DSC04522.JPG

Not related in the least to wood, cast iron, guns, shops etc. We've been working through some minor issues with my tdi recently. I haven't been too worried about it with as busy as I've been. Some of the issues seemed to point to the injectors I was running, but everything checked out good. (Pop tested in speck, good spray pattern and injectors balance out within spec.) So I finally broke down and got another set, they are slightly bigger then what i was running and from a different vendor. My tuning guy messaged me last night that he was going to be working on my tune this week and to install the new injectors. So after work I got them in, took a base line drive with the old tune and data logged. Sent that off to him, got a tune revision loaded (it's actually 3 tune I can swap between on the lap top. Different things changed in each one to see what works the best.) Drove it this morning to work, and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Car always idled a bit rough, very light smoke at idle. It's very smooth now and not any smoke that I could detect. (Outside of the normal start up puff.) The car seemed more responsive to throttle input too. I didn't do any heavy throttle this morning, but so far it's looking like it won't smoke as much as with the old injectors. So hopefully I can manage to get the 45-47mpg I've recently been getting up to 50 mpg + have ample power on tap and not smoke like a pig whenever I cone down on the go pedal.
50 mpg? What vehicle is it?

I'm not going to run any edible livestock on that section the old pony was on due to part of it being over the finger system. Down with the fence since I will be mowing it now. Several of the old telephone poles are still quite solid. Pretty impressive given I got them as used and put that fence up 25 years ago!

Scrounged up an Echo 620P tonight. Saw it on Craigslist yesterday, but was 2nd to respond. But, like lots of CL transactions, the 1st in line could not get it done with the seller. So... after a day of waiting I got my shot and I didn't waste it.

Came with an Echo bag, extra chain/filter/spark plug, and what's left in a can of Trufuel for $175.
View attachment 1177163
You suck! You're probably gonna enjoy that saw, I know I would for that cheap

Scrounged up an Echo 620P tonight. Saw it on Craigslist yesterday, but was 2nd to respond. But, like lots of CL transactions, the 1st in line could not get it done with the seller. So... after a day of waiting I got my shot and I didn't waste it.

Came with an Echo bag, extra chain/filter/spark plug, and what's left in a can of Trufuel for $175.
View attachment 1177163
Went cutting today and both of my saws are down. I need to run onto a 60 cc or bigger deal like that. Shoot, I'd even buy a Huskey :laugh:.

Went out to the log yard today to work on the 2nd pile of Bk. Locust. I tried new gas in the 038, but it still wouldn't run right. I'll resurrect my "Stihl 038 Woes" thread and maybe someone can help me figure it out. I took along the 046 that I bought a couple a years ago that ran but needed at least a new piston. I've never cut with anything bigger than a 60cc saw and man, this saw went right through the Bk Locust like it was Oak. Until it started smoking and died. Still turns over, just won't start. It'll probably need a cylinder too now. So, I ended up with only a half load. Loaded a couple of sticks I could manage also, because the tree guy has started to burn again. I really wanted to get all of the Locust out of there.
IMG_2922.JPGIMG_2921.JPG
Still another 6 logs left. Guessing 1 to 1-1/2 loads. Hope it doesn't get burned.

A little more yesterday....the much needed rains over the past couple weeks made this area a bit soft.Made a good dent in the 2+ yr drought,this is usually a semi-wet area most of the year from late March to late June anyway.Finally ''normal'' precipitation for Apr,into May,almost there now for the year to date totals. Near center of pic you can probably see the cut stump of that dead leaning Red Oak I removed a couple weeks back.I left the wood (about a 1/3rd of it was on other side of that shallow ravine),in same spot until returning,carrying it across to other side,then using 2 wheel dolly to bring it to the truck.View attachment 1177552

Need to get the old garage door fixed/rebuilt so I can get the John Deere 110 with the heavy duty cart back outside.Until then,when I'm working in certain areas that might get the truck stuck (and no way of getting out really since I'm by myself most of the time) I park as close as I dare,then use 2 wheel dolly to haul the logs through the grass to the truck,then loading it one at a time.Not the best way or certainly the easiest,but its good cardio lol and will work for now until things are different.Plus the dolly works better for me than a regular wheelbarrow -I used one of those so much on the job all those years you can say I'm fed up with them haha.Though like most tools,they have their place & certain uses,just not here.A dolly you almost never have to lift the heavy logs up at all.Where as with the wheelbarrow you have to lift them INTO the tub,which can be a real PITA & back breaker....
Havent lost my strength yet,but am in no real rush (good thing too) and my stamina/endurance is mostly gone compared to age 35-40,but thats normal.Still it keeps me going,I stop to rest for a couple minutes every 30 min or so now.No big deal.
View attachment 1177554
Smaller White Oak snag I'll be getting before too long.Almost perfect sized,(though I prefer bigger stuff when available) just a couple rounds from the stump end will need split,and then,just in half.

View attachment 1177564
Pile of mostly Bur Oak branches/tops,from a nearby blowdown last Fall.I'll start on these too before long.If the wood is sound,I bring in anything over 1" diameter,that up to 2" is used for kindling/fire starter.Anything less than 1" diameter is left in neat brush piles for the wildlife,rabbits etc & the birds like that for shelter.

Here in the random pile its 2" to around 6" diameter,roughly.In a year or so,the smaller sizes will be quite dry & ready to burn,once its cut to shorter lengths - 12" to 16" or so.

Largest chunks are close to 100 pounds,that's pretty much my lifting/carrying limit now,and I try to be slow/careful when doing so,not as reckless when younger 👍 What's that old saying "Slow & steady wins the race"? I dont know about that,but I DO know when I take things slow & methodical I dont hurt near as much (if at all) in the next days afterwards....

View attachment 1177569
View attachment 1177570
Need to get a little hitch mounted winch for dragging logs out. Will save your back and tons of time.
50 mpg? What vehicle is it?
2001 vw jetta diesel tdi.
Volkswagen turbodiesel car. I have a Jetta TDI (I think that's what he has as well) that runs 44mpg in the winter and will tick 47mpg in the summer back and forth driving to work. 50mpg isn't unheard of with them.

Fun little cars
Yep, good economy and fun. Not fast or fancy, but dead reliable.
I'm hoping once we get the tune really dialed in I can average over 50mpg, but I think thats going to be tough with my daily commute and how much traffic picks up over summer around here.
Another guy I work with has a basically identical jetta to mine, just all stock and claims over 50 mpg pretty regularly. I think he's mostly full of it. He's drives like his arse is on fire. Even when mine was stock I never managed to break 50mpg. Could manage 47-48. Finally back up close to that again.

Need to get a little hitch mounted winch for dragging logs out. Will save your back and tons of time.

🤔 Great idea.I have this small winch (1 ton rating I think) purchased at Northern Tool in summer 2011 I believe....Got it for the JD 110,even made a mounting plate from a scrap piece of 3/4 plywood,some other hardware.It goes at the back where trailer hitch is sometimes used.First day using the winch it burned up,since it was still under warranty,I got a free replacement the next day.Used that one 2-3 more times (on steep slopes,other places where I couldnt get too close) then it was put away,never used again.....

I need to get it out of storage hook it up to rear bumper,might need to build another mounting bracket but thats no big deal,see if it still works.....

Thanks for refreshing my memory....no idea why I didnt think of it sooner...I either used the JD 110 easily 80% of the time,and when I stopped,the truck took its place.

new small winch on John Deere 110.JPGwinch 2.JPG
1975 John Deere110 & old dump cart.JPG

Back