064 av max revs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just got my 064 running really sweetly and tuned it to 2400 at idle and 120000 at WOT, as per specs on the CaseyWise site.
Now I've got my hands on the Stihl 064/066 manual and it says idle and high at 2500/13000. Assuming the folk who made the saw know their own stuff, I'm wondering if maybe the caseywise numbers are for an older 064 , before the 066 was introduced? I have read that there are a few versions of the 064-do some have beefier bearings maybe?
And is there any problem with setting the idle down around 2300? It just seems happy there and no problem with pickup or anything.
Can anyone clear this up please? Many thanks, inky

you kidding me? an 064 will 4 stroke like a son of a ***** at 13k even stock. even stock i run them 14.5. they will even run 15. not telling you what to do as we live in different climates but here 14.5 on an 064 is near perfect but still on the slight rich side IMO. i bets you turn that thing up and it puts a smile on your face :)

I'm smiling already, thanks westcoaster90-and not just because it's new year's eve. I was hoping to hear that i could turn it up-although 14500 sounds full on. I know you are always saying people tune down too much but I'll take it a bit easier than that i think.
Cheers and happy new year!

you kidding me? an 064 will 4 stroke like a son of a ***** at 13k even stock. even stock i run them 14.5. they will even run 15. not telling you what to do as we live in different climates but here 14.5 on an 064 is near perfect but still on the slight rich side IMO. i bets you turn that thing up and it puts a smile on your face :)
14.5-15 ...is that the reason for all the dead Stihl's in the bin?:chainsaw:

Thank you men.
The coil is Bosch 2 204 222 108
There is an extra wire in the airbox that's not connected to anything. Is this a red light coil? I'm wondering if the saw has been assembled from parts, as the serial number seems to be a bit later in the series, if i have it right. ( but there's a good chance i do not). Just going from the ipl and a tech info sheet...
Anyway i tuned her up and she's just 4 stroking at 13200 and cleans up in the cut so that will do i suppose. Cheers, inky

14.5-15 ...is that the reason for all the dead Stihl's in the bin?:chainsaw:

nope, most guys don't even tune them after they leave the dealer. the fact remains is that i have not seen anyone on AS that didn't tune rich which is why i ask Brad what his 372's are at. i run them 14k stock and 14.5 with mild mods. i have one ported from down south that runs 16 but i tune it back the 15.4 so it survives.

My experience with using a tach and tuning by ear on my own 660 would tell me you may be better off around 13000. Even 12500 on the 660 makes it 4 stroke excessively. I think 13500 is doable in stock form but I personally would not try it. When I was milling, I tuned it in the cut and it came out to 13000

stock 660 i run at 13.4. ported i run them at 13.8. i know guys who turn them up to 14 stock with a dual port cover and they survive just fine. thing is guys here know what to do from reading but lack the actual experience of running saws on the edge so really don't even know what they are saying. it's easy to say it's to lean because of your own beliefs but is it really? ever tried it? i'll run a saw richer milling for sure but falling and bucking they survive tuned lean. i'm not telling anyone to do anything. all i'm saying is i have tried some lean tunes and know guys who tune leaner then i do and the saws survive over a year and a 8-10 tank a day production cutting environment. not to mention likely the cheapest mix money can buy.

Earlthegoat2; I tuned by ear and then checked it with a tach and it's 13200; pretty close to your numbers. It was only just barely 4 stroking at that, maybe i should just take it back to 13000 to keep her running cooler..? Or is just a bit enough?
It's all an education...
Thanks All. Cheers, inky

Latest posts

Back