2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First 2 pics are sweet corn. Last is the Indian corn.
20240518_132243.jpg
20240518_132740.jpg
20240518_133403.jpg

20240518_132243.jpg
20240518_132740.jpg
20240518_133403.jpg

Garden is doing well, so far. It was touch and go with the tomatoes, but they're looking okay now.
Everything I planted has sprouted and is looking good. :yes:
I put Miracle Grow garden soil on the mounds before planting. No added fertilizers, or insecticides.

Fingers crossed, I may have homegrown veggies this year. :drinkingcoffee:

DSC00054.JPG
DSC00055.JPG
DSC00058.JPG

Man what are you feeding those potatoes?

Each row is in the center of a 3 ft x 50 ft bed that has been broad forked to 14 inches deep.

At emergence of the potato shoots each row got two gallons of urine diluted with 20 gallons of rain water. (yes, we save it up)

At about one foot height they got the same side dressing.

No initial fertilizer used. No fertilizer at planting or at any time.

The potatoes are the two rows behind me in the broad fork video taken on 4/19/24, exactly one month ago.

I'll keep you posted as to harvest weights and potato quality.

Each row is in the center of a 3 ft x 50 ft bed that has been broad forked to 14 inches deep.

At emergence of the potato shoots each row got two gallons of urine diluted with 20 gallons of rain water. (yes, we save it up)

At about one foot height they got the same side dressing.

No initial fertilizer used. No fertilizer at planting or at any time.

The potatoes are the two rows behind me in the broad fork video taken on 4/19/24, exactly one month ago.

I'll keep you posted as to harvest weights and potato quality.

I save some too to spread around my trees prior to the deer rut.

Strawberries this morning. :dancing:
strawberries051924.jpg

I'm glad that oak didn't smash my berry patch.
This is the last part I have to clean up from that fallen oak. I'm anxious to get back to the fence row because that's where most of my cedar volunteers are flagged. That poor mama cedar is toast, buried under all that mess.
DSC00065.JPG

Here's the cleared area (lots more sunlight back there now):
DSC00063.JPG

This is what's left standing of the old oak:
DSC00064.JPG

I have a couple dozen chainsaws sharpened and ready to go!!! LOL!! Ya we had some wind damage here too,--- kinda sucks to have to stop important work just to cut up the mess.
Still planting stuff from the greenhouse. Today we did about 80 feet of the row. will finish out the row later when more plants show up.
Got another 130' long row of tomatoes before we got rained out.
will get pix. later.

Just a little wind
View attachment 1178490
every thing below the shed was under it
View attachment 1178491
36"dia pecan my wife grandmother planted in the 1950s,
and the top of it.
View attachment 1178494
Maple on opposite side of the house
View attachment 1178495
:arge red oak in front yard
View attachment 1178496
Just a little brush between the house and the road
View attachment 1178497
As bad as your situation is, sorry for that, you've got to mill that pecan.

Anygody have a wheel for a push plow. I just bought that thing.
1716170826194.png

The shed is back in place and the state hualed all the brush
1716170975826.png

I hualed 6 loads of logs to my brother to make firewood out of. I will have to saw it up for him too as he dont have a saw big enough to reach thru any of the trunk wood. and a special thanks to Dwright Reed of Reed Property Management, he showed up that morning without having been called, with his trackhoe and had all the brush piled next to the road for the state to pickup even before I could get there with my tractor.

As bad as your situation is, sorry for that, you've got to mill that pecan.
The pecan was so big I had to saw it into 6ft lenghts in order to pick it up with my tractor. Some of it will be saved to use in the smoker, but the rest will turn into heat. I estimate that there is at least 2 winters worth of firewood from just the trunkwood of all the trees. No telling how much in the tops that the state is going to turn into chips.They say it was a f1 tornado and it pretty much set down on my sons house. It could of been much worse. My grandson, about 2 miles from there, had a tree fall on his house and his truck, but it was a small tree and didnt do much damage at all.

The pecan was so big I had to saw it into 6ft lenghts in order to pick it up with my tractor. Some of it will be saved to use in the smoker, but the rest will turn into heat. I estimate that there is at least 2 winters worth of firewood from just the trunkwood of all the trees. No telling how much in the tops that the state is going to turn into chips.They say it was a f1 tornado and it pretty much set down on my sons house. It could of been much worse. My grandson, about 2 miles from there, had a tree fall on his house and his truck, but it was a small tree and didnt do much damage at all.
When did this happen? Was it May 9, the night we got hit in TN?

Glad you and the family are ok Mudd. Stuff can be fixed or replaced.

I was at the cemetery a little while ago and saw the sob's spraying Round-Up and Atrazine in the cornfield s.w. of my property.
Hurried home to cover my my garden.
Everything has been looking better than it has since 2022 when it all got contaminated with 24-D.
Note how nice and dark green and healthy-looking everything is today.
Say a prayer for me, please, that there's no more damage done. :confused:

DSC00069.JPG
DSC00072.JPG

OK, I first want to say my memory is not what it used to be. So, I apologize for asking you all again. I've had trouble in the past getting my pea/bean/squash seeds to germinate when planted directly in the grown. I'm getting my Pole Beans and Alderman Peas in late this year and I want to get it done the first time.

Anyone ever soak seeds before planting. These are untreated seeds. I think I soaked seeds overnight and the skins sluffed off. I'm planting later today so I'll soak them a maximum of 6 hours while I wait for anyone's help.

OK, I first want to say my memory is not what it used to be. So, I apologize for asking you all again. I've had trouble in the past getting my pea/bean/squash seeds to germinate when planted directly in the grown. I'm getting my Pole Beans and Alderman Peas in late this year and I want to get it done the first time.

Anyone ever soak seeds before planting. These are untreated seeds. I think I soaked seeds overnight and the skins sluffed off. I'm planting later today so I'll soak them a maximum of 6 hours while I wait for anyone's help.
I'm guessing here, but I think it has more to do with your soil temp.
If your garden is in a nice sunny spot (duh. :dizzy:) try planting the seeds after a good rain and cover the area with clear plastic? The plastic would make a mini greenhouse and help warm the soil. I would think.

Latest posts

Back