Echo cs-590 chain options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really appreciate the advice everyone. I would never have even thought of taking more out to fix the problem.

The power on this cs-590, for someone who has only run 40cc class saws, can be scary at times. Of course, safety first with all power tools, especially saws. Ones with this much power make you even that much more careful and aware.

JC

I feel your pain about how the 590 sounds with the way you opened the muffler up... Really poppy at idle and extremely raspy at WOT in the cut. Plain obnoxious really!!

I think the reason they sound so piercing doing it this way is because the angle and aligned of the added port in the muffler to the exhaust port on the cylinder is a "straight shot" and the muffler is not doing what its suppose to do, which is muffle the sound. (if that make sense)

This is how you done yours right?

View attachment 381238

I have done several of these since and found that you have to cut out a large part of the tube to get the exhaust tone to mellow out.... It's still louder than stock but sounds good.
Here is how I open them up now. (sorry, the pictures not the best. This was just drilled out, I still needed to deburr and clean it before I put it back on)

View attachment 381241
Here is how far I went. Pretty extreme, hope the sound improves.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417005349218.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417005349218.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 97
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417005376793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417005376793.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 93
I always wear ear protection. My hearing isn't what it once was and is clearly getting worse - too much abuse when I was younger. I do what I can to take care of it.

I always wear ear protection. My hearing isn't what it once was and is clearly getting worse - too much abuse when I was younger. I do what I can to take care of it.

I like my Timberwolf and it pulls a 20" fine, although the quality of the bar/chain is not good. If I need a 24", I get my 441 with a stock muffler. To me,tolerating those decibels to gain 4" of bar length just doesnt make sense. Most folks dont know what effect hearing loss has until its too late.

Not to sound like danger dude, but its possible to make them so loud that pugs alone won't bring it down to a safe db level. Sometimes you need plugs and covers. Or an active system. Protect your hearing, only get one shot.

Her are a few before and afters, if you are telling me this vast opening up with the modified louvre or deflector (I took out the first plate not the top plate so it still appears stock from outside - no screen) is going to quiet it down, then I really appreciate the help. I am probably running it tomorrow. It was loud before the first mod but not unbearable without plugs.

On the flip side my friends stock husqvarna 460 rancher is quite subdued in sound compared to this cs-590 (before the mod I mean) - both at around 60cc's too?

Having my hands on his rancher for a few weeks, I would certainly choose the echo just based on feel and construction alone given the two. I haven't cut with the rancher as I just began a cleaning and tuning of it and I don't want to burn it up being an idiot, I made a post asking for help adjusting the H screw or removing the limiters. Having them both apart most of the way, the echo seems built more to last. Though I do like the husqvarna filter, stock chain and bar better, and it seems to work without greasing the sealing parts.

Latest posts

Back