Carlton Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpavao1066

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a new thread, looking for some info from guys with experience with Carlton stump grinders.
I've got a lot of great advice from people on here through my last thread, and after thinking about everything that I was told, and taking what i do for work into consideration, I see that a bigger grinder could be benificial to me, if I can find the right machine at the right price.
I've researched hours and hours at different machines, primarily Rayco, Carlton, and Bandit. After everything I have seen/read, I'm really leaning hard towards the Carltons. Ideally, a 7015 or 7015trx looks perfect, but they are pretty pricy, so brand new is out of the question. While looking for used ones, ive seen a couple 4400-4's for sale, but they were old listing brought up through the internet. They seem to be very comparable to a 7015, and about 10,000 dollars cheaper as well. Does or has anyone owned a 4400-4 and have any input? It seems like for the price it would be a good entry-level machine in that 60hp range where I don't have to shy away from the jobs that are a bit too big for my little 1625, plus if it will help get me more work from other companies I'm all for it.

Yep, I bought one earlier this year, its a 44hp. If you do a search through the threads you will find a vast amount of commentary on the 4400-4. I cant really give much input because my machine is in storage and not been put into active duty yet. Ive used it once, for me it is limited to sites only with very good access....

We have had the 4400-4 and it was a very good machine. Used it for many years without problems. The horsepower is not 60....around 44 or so but still worked well.

Ok good to hear, I will try to do a bit more searching to see what I can come up with. I didn't realize it was 44hp, makes sense with the model #. Maybe the one I saw was repowered with a newer engine. If I'm not mistaken the 4400-4 used a naturally aspirated deutz, and when they went to the 7015 is was mostly the same engine with a turbo?

Negative. The engine is 60 hp w turbo. They also offer the option of Kubota diesel which gives you about 10 per cent more hp and torque from what I have been told.

Right I knew about the Kubota option, I believe they went that route when the deutz could not meet emission standards. I thought I had heard of a N/A deutz on one of these machines but I may be confusing it with something else. I had heard of the issue with them filling up with grindings fast, but I could live with that. I haven't had too much luck finding any for sale, ive been searching every few days with nothing coming up yet. I'm hoping something comes around sooner or later, I'm in no rush really.

They deutz engines are easy to rebuild I've heard. Dry sleeved and air cooled. Don't last as long but they are cheaper and lower maintenance.

I have a 4400-4 with a 44hp with around 1100 hrs, it's a good machine had to redo the bearing and pulleys a couple years ago. It cost me about 3k doing the labor myself. I have green teeth on it and keep them sharp. I have done some big stumps and the engine does fine. Like Del said have to keep the groundings from building up or machine will bog down, that's usually not a problem since I clean the grinding up anyways. The only other issue I had is with the hydro pump, needed to be rebuilt a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the information! My mind seems to be pretty made up, ive been looking for one with no luck so far. The engine on mine started giving me problems this week, it's definitely going to need some attention this winter, so maybe this is a good time to look for the upgrade.

I appreciate the offer but unfortunately it is just more than I can afford for the volume of work I have right now. I'm still trying to get my business rolling and work is slowly picking up, but I don't have enough yet to justify quite that much of an expense. I was hoping for more of an older 4400-4 to get going with or maybe a cheaper 7015 if there are any in my price range. Seems like it would be a good option to tackle basically any job around here, my 1625 is just too small for me to try and take on any steady work from any local tree companies

Latest posts

Back