Tecomec EVO Jolly chain grinder question/problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 wrangler

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Tecomec EVO Jolley saw chain grinder. My old Oregon has seen better days so I bought a new Tecomec from Archer via eBay. I assembled it and I can't seem to get the grinding wheel stop adjusted. This machine has a totally different grinding wheel stop adjustment from any and all of the chain sharpening grinders I have ever used in the shop I retired from or have personally owned. BTW, this is my last "rodeo" in chain sharpening grinders! I hope I'm not having another senior moment. It's grinding wheel adjustment knob does absolutely nothing when screwed all the way in or out! As it is, I can almost cut a side strap in half!
Question is this for anyone who has one of these grinders or familiar with this model. The adjustment knob/screw does NOT come in contact with the machine's back plate or any other surface. If I remove the adjustment knob's locking nut and rubber washer to increase it's length of travel, it now comes into contact with the back plate and I'm able to "crudely" adjust the stop of the grinding wheel. It would seem that this factory adjustment knob's threaded shaft is at least 3/8" too short. If I'm correct or mistaken, please comment on a solution or similar experience. Maybe I am having a senior moment and missing something but either way, thanks in advance of any insights or experience you may have had with this machine.

Not my favorite Tecomec / Oregon grinder.

This shows the grinder head tilt stop knob installed (2-part, red, center-right in photo):

IMG_6080.jpeg

This shows it making contact, limiting grinder head travel:
IMG_6081.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Philbert

I bought the Tecomec Jolly EVO for $223 on eBay including tax and shipping because I needed a new grinder and at my age of 74, I didn't want to spend my kids inheritance on a new grinder. A selling point was, it was supposedly made in Italy however the motor was made in CHINA, like everything else today and I'm sure most of the other parts are Chinese too. The directions leave much to be desired especially on the grinding wheel stop set up. In the past, I have used several grinders to include the shops computerized Franzin (sp), a couple of older Oregon's that lasted a long, long time and a friends HF grinder. Thinking back, In my opinion, the HF has a better and more accurate wheel stop! This model Tecomec grinder's wheel stop is unique and will take some getting used to! If you are my age, this machine will get you to the other "side" but if you are a younger person, upgrade by buying a more expensive model.

Again, it’s not my favorite grinder. Some details in the referenced threads above.

A better choice, for about the same amount of money, is the basic Tecomec grinder. Conventional design, larger motor, does everything *except 10° ‘down angle’*.

IMG_6086.jpeg

Maybe seller will let you do some kind of exchange?

Philbert

Again, it’s not my favorite grinder. Some details in the referenced threads above.

A better choice, for about the same amount of money, is the basic Tecomec grinder. Conventional design, larger motor, does everything *except 10° ‘down angle’*.

View attachment 1114874

Maybe seller will let you do some kind of exchange?

Philbert
Much better and way more repeatable wheel stop than the Oregon-Tecomec grinder (which I have in addition to another.. The Oregon wheel stop flat sucks.

I took a chance and purchased the Vevor off of Amazon for 100 bucks delivered and had to do a couple mods to it but the wheel stop is exactly like the picture plus it has the tilting vise. The Chinese are good copycats. I use multiple grinders, one to set the teeth and another to set the rakers.

The price has probably increased (due to run away inflation) but the Vevor is a helluva bargain even if it needs some minor modification (the pivot axle needs a shim and the spring return is weak and needs an Oregon spring, which fits of course).

Finally, I don't use the supplied stone wheels, I use aluminum rimmed (and balanced) CBN wheels from Diamond Abrasives. Never need dressed and run cool and smooth and when running the CBN wheels, you can dispense with the wheel guards entirely as they won't ever explode.

Something I find interesting is, Tecomec makes all the Oregon chain grinders except the really big semi automatic one but they (Tecomec) also sells their grinders independently. Must be some sort of special agreement between the two. I much prefer the wheel stop on the Veyvor which is exactly like the Tecomec that Philbert has pictured. Much more positive and repeatable. Don't much care about amore powerful motor, the stock motor has enough balls to take the temper out of a cutter if you are using the stone wheels. Not so much with a CBN wheel.

Latest posts

Back