Bar/Chain Combo for Homelite CS-40

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmall450

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking 18", as that's whats on there now.

I looked at Oregon, where my old man has an account and I normally get bars, but they don't have any bar/chain combos for it. Nor do any of the other online retailers like discountonlineparts, chainsawshed...the latter does come up with 2 chains and an Oregon bar, a bit steep it seems price wise but any suggestions?

http://chainsawshed.com/models/HOM_CS-40_Pc325_Gg50_BL18_DL73_ST7.html

Thanks.

They probably did sell it that way, but it was still more bar than that powerhead really wants. Now understand that I take it farther than some - 13" bar is standard on my 50cc saws - but don't knock it, there is a lot to be said for going for a 3:1 or even 4:1 displacement (CC) to bar length (inches) ratio. Less reach, certainly, but you get a saw that isn't boggy or super-sensitive. Having tried both routes, I'll take a lively saw with a short bar every time. But I digress.

It looks like that saw is a k095 mount, pretty standard stuff - small-mount Husqvarna saws and many others run that bar mount. So you should be able to find a suitable bar pretty much anywhere (Lowes, online, saw shop, etc.). For chain, run whatever makes the most sense; I only cut clean wood, so 20-series Oregon (round-filed chisel) makes the most sense for me. Site sponsor Treestuff.com is my go-to source these days.

They probably did sell it that way, but it was still more bar than that powerhead really wants. Now understand that I take it farther than some - 13" bar is standard on my 50cc saws - but don't knock it, there is a lot to be said for going for a 3:1 or even 4:1 displacement (CC) to bar length (inches) ratio. Less reach, certainly, but you get a saw that isn't boggy or super-sensitive. Having tried both routes, I'll take a lively saw with a short bar every time. But I digress.

It looks like that saw is a k095 mount, pretty standard stuff - small-mount Husqvarna saws and many others run that bar mount. So you should be able to find a suitable bar pretty much anywhere (Lowes, online, saw shop, etc.). For chain, run whatever makes the most sense; I only cut clean wood, so 20-series Oregon (round-filed chisel) makes the most sense for me. Site sponsor Treestuff.com is my go-to source these days.

Awesome, thank you for the insight. I typically like longer bars simply for the reach they offer; I'd use the Stihl to go through tougher logs.

I suspect that saw has a non adjustable oiler, a longer bar and chain may require more oil than the saw can put out.

Baileys .com is a great place and cutterschoice.com is another. I have a CS-50 and the clutch drum/sprocket is the hardest part to find. You need to know what gauge bar and pitch chain to order your new chain. I use the .325 pitch micro chisel. Micro because i cut dirty wood and the point on a full chisel chain gets dull to fast. Good luck. Oh call those places and you should get good help but cutters choice hs not answered their phones today.......

Baileys .com is a great place and cutterschoice.com is another. I have a CS-50 and the clutch drum/sprocket is the hardest part to find. You need to know what gauge bar and pitch chain to order your new chain. I use the .325 pitch micro chisel. Micro because i cut dirty wood and the point on a full chisel chain gets dull to fast. Good luck. Oh call those places and you should get good help but cutters choice hs not answered their phones today.......
Thank you!

What size bar do you have on the CS-50?

Back