Most comfortable climbing saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory9584

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What's the most comfortable climbing saddle available? I want something I can be comfortable sitting in for long periods of time if need be. Thanks

My Weaver Cougar with the batten seat is pretty spectacular.

All depends. Are you fat, skinny, short, tall, have a big ass, no ass, etc. You need to try one on. Myself, I like the Sierra Moreno saddle designed by Don Blair. I've worn it for 24 years with no complaints.

Anyone Using Buckingham saddles?

96% of the business for the distributor around here Is CO-OPs, and they use different "belts".

I'm trying to determine which saddles to even look at, but I haven't been successful so far.

I've been on this page for hours,
http://www.buckinghammfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=243

But, I want to buy once, cry once,... So please recommend what I need.

I'm 5'11", and 200lbs.

Any opinions on the petzl sequoia saddle? It looks comfortable and has good ratings from what I've seen. I don't know of anywhere local with much if any inventory of saddles to try out so I'm looking for a safe bet.

Any opinions on the petzl sequoia saddle? It looks comfortable and has good ratings from what I've seen. I don't know of anywhere local with much if any inventory of saddles to try out so I'm looking for a safe bet.
I'm in the same boat; I can't find anywhere that has saddles to check out in person.
I called the only place that might have something and all they carry is a couple Weaver belts, which they are out of right now.

I checked a local Vermeer store. They had a few there but nothing in my size. 6'-3" 260#. I don't do this full time but have no complaints about the basic wide back saddle I bought from Sherrill Tree.

You might ask at the Vermeer store if they will order one in and let you "try it" before you buy it. As long as they think you fully intend to buy it, but understand you want to put it on (keeping it in the store) first, they may be willing to play along. Not like it is a loss if you don't...they can still put it on the shelf as a new product.

Try The tree Austria 3.2 Very comfy, sturdy and a Great price at treestuff

I climb a bosun seat Edge and being on the top-heavy side I most of the time wear a Petzl Voltige chest harness too . The combination of the two is comfortable enough I could probably hang in it in open space all day long without much discomfort, if I had to.

Before the Edge I used one of the 4D old-school torture-device saddles that I'd added a 1/2 inch thick seat to, made from the type of material that synthetic cutting boards are made of, which improved it's comfort level from excruciating pain to something very bearable.

You might ask at the Vermeer store if they will order one in and let you "try it" before you buy it. As long as they think you fully intend to buy it, but understand you want to put it on (keeping it in the store) first, they may be willing to play along. Not like it is a loss if you don't...they can still put it on the shelf as a new product.
I was at the local Vermeer store today, and while they didn't have the one I've been eying, they did have a few nice saddles, and a rope hung from the ceiling to see what those feel like( even if just for a few mins).

I am 6'1" 245# and just getting into and learning tree climbing. 20+ years on a utility pole is a bit different to say the least. I recently purchased a New tribe Onyx. It has very minimal padding but is super comfortable. I could fall asleep in it!!

What's the most comfortable climbing saddle available? I want something I can be comfortable sitting in for long periods of time if need be. Thanks

I'm the same height/weight as you, I climb just about every day in a Buckingham BuckCat which is just a different name for the Puma/Viking. An acquaintance let me sit in his and I ran with it, ordered from Treestuff.com the next day for just over 200$. Good amount of adjustability, solid rope bridge, quick click leg straps, and a good amount of gear management built in, all while managing to stay relatively lightweight. IMO the best saddle at its price level. If money isn't an option though, everybody swears by their treemotion and if my wife would let me
I'd probably see what the hype is all about.

I have an onyx and it is taking a while to get used to. It definitely is comfortable when everything is in the proper position. When it shifts it can get painful in a hurry. The loose leg straps still have a tendency to slide out of place and smash the goods. If you hang from the side d's for one second you are in for some pain in the ribs. I will be going for an edge or sequoia next time.

I have a new tribe onyx as well. Is very comfortable for me. Like stated above. It can shift a bit and cause discomfort. It basically has no padding. Would have been nice to have a thicker belt for comfort. Legs are fine as is though.

I like my Buckingham Ergovation it's expensive and I've made a few modifications to it, but it has easy in and out parachute clips, but I'm also 6ft 160 lbs.

I got a AMT Pinnacle Deluxe( made by buckingham) sold thru Sherril Tree.
It was referred to by a member on here and I'm glad I chose it . Very comfortable saddle and split - tailing is super easy with it.

I'm not a seasoned veteran climber but I have tried a Petzl sequoia. Very comfortable. A lot guys I work with use them. I use a basic Buckingham. It is heavier, and a pain in the ass to adjust the fit. at 6 foot, 215lbs the weight doesn't bug me but waist strap is a pain to use. Especially with my big ass. But for someone of my experience it does the job and holds any gear I need to take with me up a tree.

I heard nice things about the Weaver Couger saddles but also heard about a lot of recalls and safety concerns.

Latest posts

Back