bar and chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I see that Stihl is selling for $18 a gallon or you can pick up a gallon of "non brand name" at Menards for half that or less. Is running the Stihl oil that much better? Also, will running winter weigh outside of the cold months cause any issues? Thank you for the insight

The Menards will be just fine, I have bought Stihl oil, just because that's all my local saw shop had. Didn't/wouldn't pay $18 though!. If I have left over winter weight oil and I want to use it I just add a little STP. The winter weight is quite a bit lighter, doesn't stick as well. If your oiler is marginal, you may be a little short of oil by the time the chain gets all the way around. I have a jug of both, it won't go bad during the "off" season. It's really not a big deal, though.

Don't forget what we are talking about.......bar oil. Most of it flies off somewhere and its not like its role is to protect a $1000 investment. FWIW l use canola oil filtered from my chip frier and have done so in a commercial application in over a dozen worksaws for more than 3 years. With the cost of bar oil here, l have saved enough money to date to replace at least half of my saws. Will never ever go back to petrolium stuff......its yuck and my dog won't lick up the spills.

Don't forget what we are talking about.......bar oil. Most of it flies off somewhere and its not like its role is to protect a $1000 investment. FWIW l use canola oil filtered from my chip frier and have done so in a commercial application in over a dozen worksaws for more than 3 years. With the cost of bar oil here, l have saved enough money to date to replace at least half of my saws. Will never ever go back to petrolium stuff......its yuck and my dog won't lick up the spills.
So, does woodcutting would make you hungry? :p

Usually refill a 2.5 gal jug at a local petrol supply store , ends up being around 6,50 gallon. Have used the stihl , normally 10 a gal.

i use the cheap stuff mostly the poulan brand oil and i dont use winter weight oil in the winter
i just grab a jug of supertech 10w30 from the shelf at walmart.

I don't think bar oil really needs to be special.
My processor uses AW32 hydraulic oil to lube the bar. I have about 700 cords on the bar and 4 chains, all still in decent shape. The chains are close to being done, but not from lack of lube but rather having the teeth filed to almost nubs. I'm careful to just skim the teeth when I grind them so they have lasted much longer than I expected.
I usually can get about 8-10 cords before having to sharpen, provided the wood is pretty clean.
(before the naysayers try to claim I'm lying, remember this is .404 semi chisel harvester chain, it's much larger than chainsaw chain)

i have used hydro oil in the past along with some funky wierd lubes on the bar and they dont seem to mind
but the oilers on my stuff like to throw oil so im sure nothing is going to wear out.

When I am down about a quart on my gallon jug of bar oil, I refill it with used oil from my car or truck. That is like getting $1.50 to $2 a quart for my used oil. The chainsaw doesn't seem to care and I notice no more wear than normal.

I forget the name, something Green, but I bought 2 gal of it and its doing ok so far. Some kind of grown processed oil 5$ a gal and smells kinds good.

So, does woodcutting would make you hungry? :p
Yeah it kinda does sometimes when your saw smells like fish and chips.lol The only real issues l know of with bar oil are those who cut in cold weather...l mean snow and stuff. They somtimes have issues with the oil being too thick to flow correctly. Canola is good in backyards where there is ponds or waterways or if you cut deer, ham or your samiches with a saw.

Below 40 F, I used to cut summer oil (SAE 30) with up to 25% kerosene. This year I buy 5W-30 motor oil for well under $3 a quart at nearby Army PX. It can be pumped to the bar when cold, and my saws seem to like it.

When it's down in the teens you need to warm up some straight-grade oils just to get them to pour. I'll pass.

I forget the name, something Green, but I bought 2 gal of it and its doing ok so far. Some kind of grown processed oil 5$ a gal and smells kinds good.
l think behind all that marketing who har and technical names you never heard of is simply a slightly modified canola oil. Not many will confess as they would loose you as a customer as you would buy your canola from xxxx for much much less $$. There is an old saying, 'bull$h'+ baffles minds' and in this case those high tech green save the planet high cost super oils are simply canola in many cases, of cause they have no interest telling you that.

I buy gallon jugs of canola oil at MalWart. I've had zero problems with it.
e
Yes Chris, as long as l have been reading your posts its not hard too see your clearly no fool who thinks for himself always bringing something useful to the table. Look on this issue l don't really mind what others are doing and l ain't exactly a greenie but flinging petroleum oil everywhere in the woods, your garden, or whatever is kinda silly especially when its not necessary and so expensive. My saws have never been cleaner without all that toxic mess mixed with sawdust in every part of the saw. Instead of skin irritations you can just rub any spilled canola into your leather gloves or whatever. I think about how much bar oil l can go through in a big job on ones property and think.......l sprayed 1,2,3,4,5 liters of oil all over your lovely expensive native garden. Not to mention how much l breathed in.....Do your lungs like breathing a fine mist of petroleum oil with known carcinogens??? Think about it.

Another good tip for those who have hedge trimmers looking for that non plant infecting oil for their blades....cause you gotta lube them blades and keep the hedge healthy. The secret is a $2 can found in the cooking section of any supermarket. It has no fancy name but its called 'canola cooking spray' and ticks all the boxes as far as an oil that you want to cut 'live' plants with. I have read threads where members have gone to all corners of the globe seeking the right oil for this application spending good dollars on something no better than what can be had for a couple of buck in any food store.

Back