bar and chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either way, your argument still doesn't acknowledge your initial statements about breathing vaporized canola oil being good for you
I went back and read all of his comments in this thread, and I did not see this statement. Can you quote it?

Flash point is irrelevant, and I find it hard to believe you've never seen smoke from heating up your chain/bar while cutting at some point. Either way, your argument still doesn't acknowledge your initial statements about breathing vaporized canola oil being good for you, so I'm going to leave you to argue with yourself under the bridge.

Flashpoint is very relevant my friend. That is when the material begins to break down, I have stated it is cooked with and reaches quite high temperatures and we routinely ingest it with no ill effects. Your question was if the oil is broken down is it harmful. I can honestly say I have not seen my bar smoking before. Now I am by no means a logger, perhaps my oilers are working correctly, bar groove nice and clean? My point is a simple one. B&C oil is better for the environment and us than ATF, car motor oil, Gear lube and Hydraulic oil and Canola is better for the environment. Also several people have chimed in that it works very well and they have had no issues. You remind me of out Past Mayor, Rob Ford he was asked do you smoke crack he said no he did not. He denied it each time it was asked. When a video came out proving that he indeed smoked crack he said when you asked me if I smoked crack I was truthful. That day I did not smoke crack.

I would invite you under the bridge but we have a dress code. :D

I went back and read all of his comments in this thread, and I did not see this statement. Can you quote it?

Relax jr. What did I say that was factually incorrect? Why are you so against doing something that is good for the environment? Why are so you against doing something that is good for you? Breathing in that atomized oil can be quite toxic. As I said No EPA, No tree hugging. Common sense says using those oils is not a good thing. Some members have also stated they have gone to Canola based oils for their saws with no ill effects. They save money and also leave a smaller footprint on the environment.

I quoted it in one of my responses earlier as well.

Rockjock - Flashpoint is irrelevant in this context. You running your saw at 600 degrees? I agree 100% with B&C oil being better than ATF or waste oil for both the user and the environment. That wasn't my question to you, as I have said 4 times. Doesn't matter, not important. Good day.

I quoted it in one of my responses earlier as well.

Rockjock - Flashpoint is irrelevant in this context. You running your saw at 600 degrees? I agree 100% with B&C oil being better than ATF or waste oil for both the user and the environment. That wasn't my question to you, as I have said 4 times. Doesn't matter, not important. Good day.
OK - he was clearly saying that using canola instead of petroleum based oil was "good for" you and the environment because it is not as toxic, not that breathing it was actually beneficial directly.

Chris I do not believe I said it was good for you, like eating broccoli is good for you. . But this is a touchy subject. The moment you tell someone not to do something they get defensive. I have said what I have said, explained my reasons behind it. Some agree some do not. Some will miss the plot and just read the cliff notes. That is the amazing thing about AS we can all talk and get ideas flowing. I have no ill will being told yo go under my bridge, 3 bedrooms 2 baths a nice shop, waterwheel great view.... :D

Chris I do not believe I said it was good for you, like eating broccoli is good for you. . But this is a touchy subject. The moment you tell someone not to do something they get defensive. I have said what I have said, explained my reasons behind it. Some agree some do not. Some will miss the plot and just read the cliff notes. That is the amazing thing about AS we can all talk and get ideas flowing. I have no ill will being told yo go under my bridge, 3 bedrooms 2 baths a nice shop, waterwheel great view.... :D
Having an intelligent discussion amongst members is one thing. Blatantly trolling and sidestepping what you said or attempted to say is another. Obviously you have chosen the latter. If you have anything other than referencing "common sense" or Rob Ford then for goodness sakes let't hear it. Otherwise kindly move on.

I'm really disappointed on everyone on this thread. Ya'll had me convinced I should use Canola oil so I bought a couple gallons from Kmart with my wife and kids in tow. Wife asked me why I needed so much Canola oil so I told her I'm going to run it in my chainsaw. She laughed and asked if I was sure I knew what I was doing. Told her yep, the pros on AS said it was actually better than B&C oil. Now you bastards have me all confused. I'll have to mix the Canola with B&C oil, Olive oil, used motor oil, and new motor oil just to cover all the bases. Also, my wife will now be able to roll my eyes at my Canola purchase. Thanks everyone.

I'm really disappointed on everyone on this thread. Ya'll had me convinced I should use Canola oil so I bought a couple gallons from Kmart with my wife and kids in tow. Wife asked me why I needed so much Canola oil so I told her I'm going to run it in my chainsaw. She laughed and asked if I was sure I knew what I was doing. Told her yep, the pros on AS said it was actually better than B&C oil. Now you bastards have me all confused. I'll have to mix the Canola with B&C oil, Olive oil, used motor oil, and new motor oil just to cover all the bases. Also, my wife will now be able to roll my eyes at my Canola purchase. Thanks everyone.

:laughing:

I have never tried it, but the guy I got my 394 from said that's all he used in his saws. Said it worked fine (washington state someplace)

I hear things work differently in Washington. Consider yourself warned lol.

Most likely..I've looked a little around here, that canola oil costs more than TSC on sale, and I have 5-6 gallons of it saved up..so I'll be running that for awhile. Must be cheaper in worshintun...

..I need to try and start that thing again, maybe my elbow is healed up enough...it's ported, and a bear and a half to yank it....them big saws need a wussyboy adapter, put a kick starter in them..or electric...HAHAHAHAHA

I have also heard of using Dawn dish detergent - but only when cutting HDPE pipe (for waterlines and such). I have also heard that it absolutely destroys chains and oilers, and they only use it because of environmental concerns, and because oil on the pipe would potentially compromise the integrity of the heat fused joints.

Why am I sharing this? Because people can pour all kinds of crap into the oil reservoir, and it might work, at least for a while. That doesn't make it right. I happen to use commercial B&C oil, but in cold weather (below 20F), I definitely have issues with the oil being too thick. I have found an oil that works well in cold weather at my local hardware store, but I just can't remember what the brand is off the top of my head.

I can definitely see using canola, especially in warmer weather, around the house. But in general, I don't see anything wrong with commercial bar & chain oil.

Most likely..I've looked a little around here, that canola oil costs more than TSC on sale, and I have 5-6 gallons of it saved up..so I'll be running that for awhile. Must be cheaper in worshintun...

..I need to try and start that thing again, maybe my elbow is healed up enough...it's ported, and a bear and a half to yank it....them big saws need a wussyboy adapter, put a kick starter in them..or electric...HAHAHAHAHA

I need to go to Wal-Mart and stock up on b&c oil as I go through it pretty quick. I despise Wal-Mart but their prices are hard to beat. May just run over and pick up several gallons of the Poulan b&c oil.

Is the 394 the saw that's as big as you? I need to try something like that one day.

I have also heard of using Dawn dish detergent - but only when cutting HDPE pipe (for waterlines and such). I have also heard that it absolutely destroys chains and oilers, and they only use it because of environmental concerns, and because oil on the pipe would potentially compromise the integrity of the heat fused joints.

Why am I sharing this? Because people can pour all kinds of crap into the oil reservoir, and it might work, at least for a while. That doesn't make it right. I happen to use commercial B&C oil, but in cold weather (below 20F), I definitely have issues with the oil being too thick. I have found an oil that works well in cold weather at my local hardware store, but I just can't remember what the brand is off the top of my head.

I can definitely see using canola, especially in warmer weather, around the house. But in general, I don't see anything wrong with commercial bar & chain oil.

You're absolutely right. My dumb self should strictly adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle. I don't run a chainsaw for a living so a little b&c oil should be fine. More harm is probably done to my body from sitting in an office chair all day. I smell lots of french fries in my future to use up all the oil I bought.

I need to go to Wal-Mart and stock up on b&c oil as I go through it pretty quick. I despise Wal-Mart but their prices are hard to beat. May just run over and pick up several gallons of the Poulan b&c oil.

Is the 394 the saw that's as big as you? I need to try something like that one day.

You're absolutely right. My dumb self should strictly adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle. I don't run a chainsaw for a living so a little b&c oil should be fine. More harm is probably done to my body from sitting in an office chair all day. I smell lots of french fries in my future to use up all the oil I bought.

Ya, that's the one..it's stout. Not as big as a mac 125 or husky 3120 though.

Latest posts

Back