stump removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
i've got some tree stumps in the back that range in diameter size from 6" up to maybe 20". i can't get any machinery back there to dig them out, so they'll have to come out by hand. (ugh)

first, i need to kill them completely. what's the best stuff to use. does that stump rot stuff work? how about rock salt? kerosene?

thanks for any help!!

MGA, Firstly I would suggest that you not assume that hand removal is your only option. Stump grinders are made in many different sizes...including some that can be hand carried through a house. As for killing the stumps, many things will work but most are dependent upon application to a FRESH cut that will allow the tree to pull the product into its system. You can recut existing stumps but efficacy is reduced. The "StumpOut" products are potassium nitrate and they do kill stumps. So does table salt, kerosene, diesel fuel, gasoline etc. One of the most effective stump killers is Tryclopyr-available to consumersas Ortho Brush-B-Gon or Ferti-lome Stump and Brush Killer.

mga said:
i've got some tree stumps in the back that range in diameter size from 6" up to maybe 20". i can't get any machinery back there to dig them out, so they'll have to come out by hand. (ugh)

first, i need to kill them completely. what's the best stuff to use. does that stump rot stuff work? how about rock salt? kerosene?

thanks for any help!!

Find someone with a alpine magnum grinder. It will go pretty much anywhere.:clap:

I'll assume you left enough stump to tie onto?

Get yourself a good come along (roller chain ones are nice) and a couple of blocks and some cable.
Tie Block onto the biggest stump first, cable and come along to a few other stumps and tighten all you can, if it does not pull right away, then let sit overnight. Tighten again in the morning and then later in the day. After a few weeks the biggest stump comes out (or the others come out right away if you did not tie into enough of them <G>.

Tried this once with 2 over 1000 YO tree Dfir stumps in the back yard - did not work on those with just a 6T roller chain come along and 1 block - tried over a 2 month period - apparently needs more than 25,000# for a 5 ft dia fir stump.

PS: Do NOT tie to a poco pole, even right at ground level, don't ask how I know that <G>

Back