Bark inclusion & rot - Tree Salvageable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOak_TX

Reaction score
I have this Oak in my front yard that I want to try to save while also preventing from collapsing on our house. I just want to say I have had 2 different certified Arborists come out, but neither of them emphasize whatsoever on the extent of the rot. Got quoted $2800 to trim 25%, and $4500 for removal; the 4.5k is a lot for me to dish out in my current situation, and I would hate go through the trouble of trimming it down just to be forced to remove it in the near future. Most importantly, the last thing I need is the tree to fall on our house. I'm looking for professional opinions on the possibility of removing the entire dominant branch extended towards the house in an attempt to salvage the tree and avoid any damage to the house from splitting at the "v". The hole shown in the "v" is 8" with another 4" extending under the bark. The Branch is roughly 20" at the base, and the whole trunk is 3'.
I was able to fit a broom handle through the openeing in the "v" and out of a 2" hole on the opposite side (shown below). IMG_6161.JPG
IMG_6157.JPGIMG_6180.JPGIMG_6181.JPGIMG_6184.JPGIMG_6185.JPG

That’s absolutely gotta go. You’ll kill the tree quicker by taking that whole leader. I don’t understand people that sign up to this forum hoping for a miracle. You’d be liable for the damage to the house if it fell and insurance deems that neglect.

That’s absolutely gotta go. You’ll kill the tree quicker by taking that whole leader. I don’t understand people that sign up to this forum hoping for a miracle. You’d be liable for the
Wasn't hoping for a miracle, just wanted some additional opinions since the guys that looked at it didn't jump straight to recommending a removal.
Thanks for the reply.

Agreed. You are living dangerously with that over the house. Sadly it was mismanaged and got too big for the yard.

The stand between houses should go away before it is also a problem. But that appears to be on the neighbor's property.

And I'm going to say, hate to, but it's a crane job, and 4500 is a decent price. In my prime, I could have rigged that and reduced it without a crane, provided that limb over the house came back a bit once the weight was off, but the last couple pieces would have been sketchy at best... not a lot of height on the central leader to work with. Would have been a long darn day, and a lot of material to remove. Sorry bud.

Latest posts

Back