Double Trunk... trouble or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posse

Reaction score
New to the forum; ran accross the site during a google search. I'm now a member and looking for some advice. In general moved to a home surraounded by lots of trees in NC. I love the number of trees surrounding the home and while i'm not a tree hugger I'm not quick to cut them down. Looking for some advice as some appear to be dangerously close to the home.

Also prompting these questions is that I'm prepping to replace the roof (metal).

As usual I've heard many different opinions:
  • Cut them all down (cheaper now vs. later)
  • Trim (which I've done)
  • Brace them
  • Cut one side of the double trunk (side leaning towards home)
I've included pics but have two in particular the one triple trunk and another double trunk.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Dark Picture (shows tree leaning over home-I'll upload others in the future)

the double trunk has predicable fault within it and could harm your home if to fail, the triple trunk i could not tell clearly but similar circumstance as trunk failure would see it over on onto roof. It what could cause these failure that i don't know. What threats are known in this area eg high wind fire snow ice storm.

seek a local arborist to appraise he should know well the factor inputs for better hazard assessment as well he can guide you on costs and lay a plan to tailor a tree program that offers to reduce hazard but within your budget

BTW looks a nice place, thou best get some fire wood ready for next winter handy you have a few standing close to home that may help here.
We inherited a place in Skyway Dr, Maggie Valley, North Carolina & sold it last year never saw it but for advert and emails

Removing all the lower branches aka giraffe pruning on that oak increased its risk; top-heavy now. A cable can be a one-off fix.

Looks like there might be root issues; new construction?

I'm in Apex; check my website

Me personally,
everyone of those trees within 35-50' of the house would be stacked in firewood length by now.

It appears that you are on a hill/crest: that's great.

If the house is on a flat or partial low spot, drainage will play into the decision, not just the probability of those house mashing trees.

I love trees, but I don't love them on my house.

If you are truly concerned, call a reputable arborist to give you an assessment, and go from there.

Doubles and triples are generally a disaster waiting to happen.

That 85' popular double I took down in my front yard a few years ago was healthy looking; and rotten on the inside.

Plant new trees in good locations.

All,
Thanks for the responses:
@derwoodii-NC is a great place and Maggie Valley is a beautiful place it's a shame you sold it...the hazards in this area are limited to hurricanes from time to time and some ice during the winter months which are always fun as most are not familiar with driving in snow/ice.

@treeseer-Apex... Wow.. that's really close. I'm right up the road from you (near the dam). I"ll look you up and will give you a ring. On a side note its not new construction; in fact far from it. The home was built in 86 and is all original top to bottom. I have lots of work in front of me but I love the area and the home.

@Woody912-Not sure which tree you are referring to however, none of the trees around the home are hollow and all appear to be in good health. Thanks for the info on the double trunk

@hsell-I hear you regarding taking those close to the home down however, that would be quite a few trees and honestly while I can probably do it physically I'm not sure I could make myself cut that many trees. Especially given that I moved out here for that exact reason. As you mentioned I'll contact someone locally "treeseer" and get some opinions however I'm not quick to cut trees. It's a fault of mine; one which I hope I don't pay for anytime soon.

Thanks again for the responses thus far.. please keep the opinions coming.

I agree with woody912. That limb should be the first thing to go, if not the tree. I don't like having any lbs over the house, but if you do there should be a good 10' of airspace between the roof and vegetation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... A cable can be a one-off fix....

Cabling isn't a one-off fix. A tree cable system should be checked annually by an arborist and further assessed.

If those trees were on my property I would also either cable, brace or remove them. I would't remove just one leader, either.

I'll be the odd one out here: I am not scared by big limbs over the roof, if they are strong. I am not scared by trees around the house, if they are strong. It would be worth looking closer at those, but I really don't see anything I am to concerned about from the pictures. Certainly worth an onsite evaluation, but you loose the character of the house if you take them all down.

Removing all the lower branches aka giraffe pruning on that oak increased its risk; top-heavy now. ....
??? They look like trees that grew in the woods to me. Where are you seeing this heavy removal of lower limbs? The 4th picture has one large wound from a removed limb at the trunk and one topped limb (that should be pruned back to the trunk now), but otherwise it just looks like trees that grew up reaching for the sunlight shedding their lower limbs as they went.

I like the "see it in 4 seasons" thought. Never heard it put that way, but it makes a lot of sense (unless, of course there is a hazard to deal with...)

Being not quick to remove trees is no fault; it's a virtue@

Cables get assessed every 1-2-5- or 10+ years, depending; why say annual?
Trees that get pruned should get assessed every 1-2-5- or 10+ years, depending...
wtf is the dif?

I have lots of limbs over my house, and spec clearance of 4' over many roofs.

All...
A few points:
  • No bottom pruning of the trees were done; this is all natural with the exception of a little to keep limbs/branches off the house
  • I've lived here for two years. (first year as you said didn't do anything on purpose wanted to see if I liked it etc.. second year nothing was done due to an injury). I've seen all seasons and LOVE it the foliage/trees etc..
  • The limb over the front of the house was cut and it was (without being dramatic painful) took me a while to get used to it. The rest of the tree leans away from the house. (I've heard I should cut it as the roots are strong and could damage the foundation)
I'd never cut all the trees... just trying to be smart about whats an obvious threat to my home. (Risk vs reward)

Thanks again for the feedback

Another of the double trunk learning over the house...

To live amongst trees you have to assume some degree of risk. Multi-leadered trees are common place in my area, if needed we manage them with proper pruning & support systems.
From your pics I don't see any hazards, however it is best to have a professional do an inspection. Unfortunately they are some who view co-dominate stemmed trees defective, they are not. Also roots damaging foundations is often used by those who are just interested in removals, be weary of this.

Often roots are blamed for poor foundation work. They will not damage a foundation on their own. If there are cracks, they will certainly get in and make the problem worse. I have worked with a client who has a huge silver maple (over 3' in diameter) 3-4' from the foundation. House and tree have probably been together for 75 years, and the house is probably 75 years older than that partnership. No problems...and this is a species known to be problematic.

Re: trees around the house

OP mentioned that one of the reasons he bought the house was the trees. Another poster commented that he would cut down all trees within 5 ft of the house.

It amazes me now often an 'arborist' (actually fear mongering salesperson) will stop at the house and 'offer' to cut down all my fir! Photo is of own house, so I put my own situation where my mouth is. The back of the house has some 3 ft DBH D. Fir within 20 feet of the house that are about 160 ft tall, and everything has co-existed well for over 40 years, including the 1992 120 mph windstorm. Did cut all the alder out of the mix.

One suggestion for the OP. I built a stairs at the back of the house for roof access, I do need to go on the 4/12 slope roof 2 or 3 times a year to sweep or wash off all the fir needles and remove the occasional small branch that has fallen.

I did remove 4 of 5 40 in DBH black cottonwood farther back from the house, the sincle 157 ft tall black cottonwood left is where the kids (and grandkids and soon great grandkids) do not play and whose branch loading is away from the house. Have personally witnessed a 1 TON branch of black cottonwood fall on a clear still summer day - the next week those cottonwood were felled. Happily, the OP does not have any of those pulp trees.

MediaHandler.aspx

New to the forum; ran accross the site during a google search. I'm now a member and looking for some advice. In general moved to a home surraounded by lots of trees in NC. I love the number of trees surrounding the home and while i'm not a tree hugger I'm not quick to cut them down. Looking for some advice as some appear to be dangerously close to the home.

Also prompting these questions is that I'm prepping to replace the roof (metal).

As usual I've heard many different opinions:
  • Cut them all down (cheaper now vs. later)
  • Trim (which I've done)
  • Brace them
  • Cut one side of the double trunk (side leaning towards home)
I've included pics but have two in particular the one triple trunk and another double trunk.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Dark Picture (shows tree leaning over home-I'll upload others in the future)

Was there a grade change or to much mulch dumped there? I would remove the three in the first pic,,I do not see a root flare on them,, plus more parking space,:p
Jeff

Was there a grade change or to much mulch dumped there? I would remove the three in the first pic,,I do not see a root flare on them,, plus more parking space,:p
Jeff

Thanks Jeff for letting us know why San Diego is becoming a big heat islan filled with cars.

No flare = Removal?

Back