Mower blades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snake_2586

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This may not the the correct place for this but I thought I might get a bit more of a comercial opinion,

I'm looking for a new set of blades for my Bad Boy 60" diesel, I know I want high lift for what I cut but looking at after market ones they are different thicknesses .204" & .250", and some are notched and others are not.

Opinions Please.

Bagging or mulching? I just put the Oregon Gator G5s on my Cub GT. pretty happy. Commercial guys say the scag blades last the longest for the least cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear discharge machine cutting an asortment of grass from lawns to long grass and scrub.

I want high lift because it can be quite damp in amongst trees, I was mainly wondering the difference between notched or not, and if the thickness made any difference .

i found notched really doesnt make a big difference but thuckness does as the thinner they are the faster they spin but if you hit something like a tree branch or a rock thinner blades indent the cutting edge deeper and bend easier and blade balance is screwed quicker

Thick or thin won't spin at any different speed- only same speed- might sound a bit different though. .036 heavier blade just may not fit in a high lift type in your deck- ran into that with a customer last spring- on his particular deck none of the high lifts would clear due to its design. by the way there are some out there saying titanium blade edge , ya right .002% Ti included in the mix, but it makes good ad copy and gets a premium price. A nice 4140 chromy moly steel properly hardened will work just as well - but that is not what is used. From the sparks when grinding them it is a high carbon content steel beyond that I have no particular idea.

Thanks for the info, I was not to worried about the speed, I was more interested in the resilience as I do hit things occasionally, I do have room for high lift, was just wondering about advantages/ disadvantages, as it gets dusty in hot weather, but a lot of the time the grass is damp when I cut it.
Titanium is always a sales gimic and I normally steer clear, it has applications, just not for a cutting edge.

just get the regular blades. not worth the extra money. never use gator blades. they reduce the suction and cut like crap.
lift your deck if you see something that you are going to hit.
btw: i use regular blades on my x series exmark

I have them on my mower, no real difference compared to normal blades aside from cost. Won't buy again.

Back