Kobalt/Greenworks 80v equipment review thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a greenie, tree hugging, environmentalist. I don't set tires on fire for fun(well, not often), or dump used motor oil down storm drains, and make use of my recycling bin because my garbage can is too small. I'm not using battery electric stuff to save the world. Not because it doesn't(and it doesn't), but because it works, I'm lazy, and I don't care. I can get the job done acceptably well, without having to maintain another gasoline engine? Without having to stop somewhere with a gas can? Game on, sign me up.

7 years using this stuff to maintain my 1/3rd acre property, here's my take on it.

I'll start with the mower.

The mower came with a charger and two batteries, a bag, a blocker for the bagger if you want to mulch or side discharge, and a clip-on chute for when you want to side discharge. I mulch almost all the time, because the less I have to mess with grass clippings, the better. My mower is older, self propel wasn't available then. It's the easiest pushing and best balanced mower I've ever used, I haven't missed it.

The mower runs at low speed in low load situations to save battery life, then switches to high speed and high power mode when load is detected. Odd to have a mower rev itself up when under load, but you get used to it. I do wish there was a way to manually put it in high power mode and leave it there. As long as the grass is dry, it'll mow grass as tall as the "engine" battery housing, without bogging, at a reasonable speed. Power easily equivalent or better than my previous experience with homeowner gassers. The only push gasser I've used that is better was a commercial Toro with a Suzuki two stroke engine.

About half of my 1/3rd acre property is grass. When doing a mid-summer touch up, I can mow the whole place on 1/3rd of one battery. When I've been lazy or busy, and haven't gotten to the lawn, it can take 3 full batteries to do. I have four batteries and three chargers, so this has been a non-issue. This is mulching, which I do 98% of the time. Sometimes I'll bag if there are a lot of weed seeds that I don't want going back into the grass, or side discharge, if I just want it knocked down.

Maintenance is easy, sharpen the blade every year, clean out the gunge underneath the deck, and spray with Pam before putting it up for the year. The deck is steel and will need to be protected like any other mower. That's it, no oil to change or air filters to clean, obviously. Only repair it's needed was one wheel bearing, a couple bucks on Amazon.

I've pushed it back in the weeds, mowed the small trees and runners between the bushes and fence at the edge of the yard, mowed sticks, hit rocks, gopher mounds, tree roots. Knocked down waist high grass that I had to lift the front of the mower to get over, and then set down to cut on top of. Mower keeps going, no issues. At first I was kind of delicate with it, now I thrash it like any other mower. Gets the job done, no issues.

My only complaint is that it clogs the discharge chutes occasionally when mowing in damp grass. The chutes for bagging and side discharge are too small, and the blade doesn't have much "fan" to it, and doesn't move much air. Moving air takes battery power, so I understand why this was done, but I'd rather burn more battery power and move more air, and clog less. I mulch 98% of the time, so this isn't an issue, and ideally wouldn't be mowing damp grass. Hasn't been a big enough issue for me to find a blade with more fan to it, or modify the existing blade.

I'm just now starting to notice that the batteries have less capacity, 7 years onward. They still function just fine and get the job done, but I do notice they don't last quite like they used to. I store them in the climate controlled house, instead of leaving them in the garage or shop at 15-105 deg F, and otherwise have paid zero attention to any kind of good battery maintenance. They've only ever been charged on fast chargers.

Final conclusion, for this size lot, gasoline mowers are dead. You couldn't give me a gas powered push mower. If I go to dewinterize the mower this year(pop a battery in and push a button), and it lets the smoke out and refuses to chooch anymore, I'll go buy another battery electric mower immediately.

Questions welcome, more reviews to follow.

I have a small yard but was getting pressured from the neighbors to use electric mowers and blowers. The neighborhood has turned to young professionals that have money and go with the latest trends, and unfortunately demand others do the same.

My Greenworks 80v blower is as powerful as my Shindawa 25cc handheld though it seems just as noisy. My 80v mower with steel is very comfortable but seems homeowner flimsy, however it is easily as powerful as my 5 horse John Deere and my old 2 stroke Lawnboy.

Alrighty, the 80v string trimmer.

Works great as a trimmer. I use square 0.90 line and it feeds + cuts fine, even though the trimmer isn't designed for it. Two speeds, I pretty much only ever use it on high speed, and I've never wished for more power. Battery life is more than plenty for my property - generally I run out of energy before a single battery does.

My trimmer has the motor on the shaft right next to your body, not down at the cutter head, and can use all the standard attachments. I use mine with a mini tiller attachment, and a hedge trimmer attachment. You're not supposed to use the hedge trimmer attachment on electric power heads, but I do, and nothing has blown up yet. Plenty of power for tilling or or hedge trimming, no complaints there.

Only gripe is that it is a bit heavy, compared to other string trimmers. A smaller/lighter battery would be fine for this application, although it balances perfectly with the existing battery, and a lighter battery would throw that off. I don't mind so much, but the weight does bother my girlfriend.

Again, for my application, the gas string trimmer is dead.

80v blower-

Won't keep up with a good backpack blower, but will stay right along side a handheld blower. I have a Mimosa in my back yard, the flowers make a sticky matting across the grass, and this thing peels them up and sends them on their way just fine. I also use it to blow sawdust out of my shop, and straw bits out of my car after hauling bales of it in the back.

Gopher mound? Blow all the dirt away, kick the rocks back down the hole.

Cleaning my gutters takes 20 minutes, thanks to this blower. Climb up on the roof, walk around near the edge and blow the crap out of all the gutters. Climb down, blow all the crap I blew out of the gutters onto the grass, where needed. It'll get mulched the next time I mow. Done.

Two down sides.

1, it's LOUD. The fan looks like a turbo, and probably spins 20k+ RPMs, makes a banshee shriek. Wear ear pro. The people around you should, too. The noise is actually worse behind you, where the open intake side of the fan is.

2, battery life. Everything else sucks down power depending on load and how you're using it. Guess this one is the same, it has three power settings plus a variable speed trigger, I just never use them. WOT until the job is done. This one will drain a battery in under 15 minutes, still usually plenty for what I'm doing.

Not going to say gas is dead on this one, if I had more trees shedding leaves I'd probably want a decent backpack blower. If you use a handheld gas blower, this one will definitely work fine for you too.

I have the following Kobalt 80V tools: 18" chainsaw, 15" multi-tool head (trimmer, accessories), blower. Also have four (4) of the 2.0AH batteries. Got the system in 2015, and the extra battery in 2016. One of the original batteries died (cell went to zero). The CS has cut a LOT of trees, mostly with a shorter 14-16" bar. The multi-tool head is like a swiss army knife, can do lots, but "jack of all trades, master of none". The blower is comparable to other similar OPE blowers with similar size batteries.

I also have the following Ego 56V equipment: 20" gen 1 mower, CS1400 (14" gen 2 saw), CS1800 (18" gen 3 saw), 570cfm blower, PH1400 multi-tool head (trimmer head, pole saw head).

For side by side comparison, the 18" Kobalt saw was better than the Gen 1/2 Ego CS, and Ego caught up with the Gen 3 CS1800. The limiting factor on the Kobalt is the 2.0AH battery (160WH), whereas I have a 5.0AH (280WH) Ego battery.

My understanding is the Kobalt is a rebranded Greenworks.

ETA: Gas vs. Electric
I used a 33cc Poulan 14" for about three months, before changing over to electric. The main reason was that it was just too noisy for our quiet neighborhood. The Kobalt 80V and Gen 2/3 Ego 56V were as powerful as the 33cc Poulan. Yes, the electrics are not as powerful, but the trade off is very much worth not hearing the noisy, and smelling the fumes, and all the 2-stroke oil mixing that also is no longer needed. I can cut things at 7 A.M. on a Sunday morning if needed. For the 24V Greenworks with the 12" bar, its way faster and less effort than my Silky 270mm. I did look at the new Milwaukee M18 Fuel Hatchet for $300, since the M18 is my primary power tool setup.

Be careful if trying to mix and match batteries. I have the Powerworks 60V which is the same tool as the 60V Kobalt, They are also the same tool as the 60V Greenworks, but the battery has different guide slots so it doesn't fit into the tool or charger. This can be fixed with some creative Dremel work. Again, this is on the 60V, not sure if the 80V is the same way. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

I am not hearing much on how the electric chainsaws compare to gas ones
I have an older 24 volt lithium greenworks chainsaw. It has sufficient battery life for pruning and cutting small branches ( to 4-6 inches) BUT the chain speed is slow enough to force you to push down on the saw so it doesn't bounce around. Not very pleasant or efficient.

I am not hearing much on how the electric chainsaws compare to gas ones
I have an older 24 volt lithium greenworks chainsaw. It has sufficient battery life for pruning and cutting small branches ( to 4-6 inches) BUT the chain speed is slow enough to force you to push down on the saw so it doesn't bounce around. Not very pleasant or efficient.

My Greenworks 80V cuts like a 50cc saw, except without the vibration, noise, fumes, or starting issues. The 4.0Ah battery is key to usability though. The smaller 2.0Ah batteries can't handle the draw for very long. The 4.0Ah battery lasts for 1/2 day of non-stop work.

When I need a little more power I step up to my my 55cc 034, 8T .325 .050 NK setup.

My brother in-law has the Kobalt 80v stuff up north at out cottages, I have the Ryobi 40v equipment. I have to say I have been impressed with both so far. My nephew has a serious bonfire problem when we are up North and the 80v chainsaw has worked great for the 3 years he has had it, he uses it pretty hard. The mower, trimmer and blower also work well, but the chainsaw has so far been the workhorse of the group. As mentioned in a comment above, the size of the battery is important as far as run time but since he has 5 from the 2.6 to the 6 amp we just pick the right one for the job.

I was up last week cutting up a couple 90' oaks that had come down and used an Echo CS-590 for the large pieces but my Ryobi 40v was great for the 8" and smaller stuff. Working through the brush pile it's great to have it start/stop with the press of a button. I would cut up a bit and burn it all weekend long without having to restart for a few minutes of cutting.

I have 17 chainsaws, from and Echo CS-670 to a Ryobi 18v and they all serve different purposes. At home I love the small battery saws for trimming on the trails and small jobs. My wife called me last fall while I was at our cottage to tell me that a tree had come down across the driveway, I sent her to the barn to get a 40v Ryobi saw and she cut a few sections out to get up the drive till I got home, would have been much more difficult with one of my gas saws.

The other thing I like about the battery tools at the cottage is the lack of maintenance or upkeep. I had gas tools up there originally but since it's a sandy ground I only cut & trim a few times a year. With the gas tools it was like a spring 1st start every time I used them, much better with the battery stuff.

My Greenworks 80V cuts like a 50cc saw, except without the vibration, noise, fumes, or starting issues. The 4.0Ah battery is key to usability though. The smaller 2.0Ah batteries can't handle the draw for very long. The 4.0Ah battery lasts for 1/2 day of non-stop work.

When I need a little more power I step up to my my 55cc 034, 8T .325 .050 NK setup.
This just isn't believable. I compute you should be able to draw 2 horsepower for 13 minutes (using 1.5 kw=2hp)

I knew the Dolmar 421 had the grams per kwh in the manual (per iso 7203)

480 grams of mix per kwh Dolmar 421

80volts*4amp-hours= 0.320 kwh

480*0.320=154grams of mix=energy in battery

1 fluid oz of gasoline weighs 22.2 grams

154/22.2=6.92 ounces of mix produces the theoretical work of one 80V 4ah battery likely the battery is 72 volts nominal 80 being max.

Who works half a day with less fuel than a full tank in a top handle? Ok so it probably has a skinny chain, but still.

This just isn't believable. I compute you should be able to draw 2 horsepower for 13 minutes (using 1.5 kw=2hp)

I knew the Dolmar 421 had the grams per kwh in the manual (per iso 7203)

480 grams of mix per kwh Dolmar 421

80volts*4amp-hours= 0.320 kwh

480*0.320=154grams of mix=energy in battery

1 fluid oz of gasoline weighs 22.2 grams

154/22.2=6.92 ounces of mix produces the theoretical work of one 80V 4ah battery likely the battery is 72 volts nominal 80 being max.

Who works half a day with less fuel than a full tank in a top handle? Ok so it probably has a skinny chain, but still.

I appreciate your attempt at napkin engineering. 1/2 day work != 4 hours of cutting. And if I'm bucking 16" logs the result is certainly different than if I'm cutting 4" limbs. For me working alone, I get about 4 hours out of a 4Ah battery.

But if you don't believe it, you should buy one and find out for yourself. You'll be glad you did.

I have a greenworks 40v pole saw thats a few years old and added a blower and vacuum. The pole saw was purchased for clearing lanes on hunting properties mainly due to cost. The blower and vacuum were very reasonably priced as tools only and are great for use at these properties also. The 40v pole saw cuts like a champ as long as I keep the chain the sharp, and I agree with whoever stated above that the 4ah battery is the key, I have 1 -4 ah and 1 -2ah. The blower works well for cleaning off the tractor & brush hog after use, but it doesn't hold a candle to a good gas powered blower. The vacuum is great for cleaning out the planter after its done for the season, but it is a big draw on battery.

I will never say never, but I would have heavy push back if my neighbors were attempting to 'influence' my decisions on what type of equipment to purchase to maintain my property. My wife and I never wanted to build in a plan with an HOA, where decisions like this (and house colors or sheds or fences) were not in our control. But, to each their own! The battery powered equipment I currently use is due to it being cost effective or more efficient for my needs.

I appreciate your attempt at napkin engineering. 1/2 day work != 4 hours of cutting. And if I'm bucking 16" logs the result is certainly different than if I'm cutting 4" limbs. For me working alone, I get about 4 hours out of a 4Ah battery.

But if you don't believe it, you should buy one and find out for yourself. You'll be glad you did.
Ok this above is believable. You are dealing with the brush, start at the branch end and clean up everything as you go. I bought into the Husqvarna 36volt (40v max) a while ago and the Makita lxt stuff. I find the energy available amazing. Two of the earlier (2014 and 2015) Husqvarna batteries originally could contain what your posted numbers reflect. You put 50cc, non stop, and implied the saw capable of running .325nk 8 tooth was a little step up.

Alrighty, my last 80v tool, the chainsaw.

Uses 18" 3/8" low pro chain, and will indeed cut anything an 18" bar gas saw will cut, just at about 2/3rds the speed. Bar fully buried in oak, can do.

Never understood why people rate battery life of chainsaws in time, when battery life is so incredibly dependent on what you're doing. Four 2ah batteries were just right to fill my flat bedded Yota, wide open throttle bucking 16" maple rounds the whole time. Walk and trim, a single battery may last a person all day.

This is easily my most often used saw. Perfect for zipping a limb here and there, cutting down a piece of firewood that's too long for the wood stove, and cutting apart the pallets I use to hold my firewood so they can be burned as well. I've used it for cutting fenceposts, and roughing out notches in framing inside the shop.

My wood splitter is electric as well, it's REALLY nice to split wood inside my shop. Heater going, out of the weather, pop in some ear buds, listen to music or podcasts, wheel in a load of rounds, wheel out a load of splits. Occasionally a round defeats my electric splitter, and this saw takes care of it just fine.

One big consideration for all these battery tools is that the batteries are just bluetooth extension cords, you're still tethered to a wall outlet. The tools don't function for long on battery power alone, so if you're away from an outlet, or power is down, these tools are of limited use. For the mower, string trimmer, and blower, on my small property, this is completely fine. I'm not mowing out in the woods, and if the power's out, I don't care how tall my grass is. Mostly because I don't much care how tall the grass is when the power is on, either. No, I'm not running a gas generator, to charge my electric lawnmower, funny as that would be.

A chainsaw is a different story. That's getting used out in the woods, miles from paved roads, much less a power pole or an outlet. I did try it for firewooding, and was surprised at how effective it was at filling the truck, but I only had a little Yota pickup at the time, albeit flat bedded. Now I have a full size truck, and a trailer, and it would take a couple hundred batteries, and all day long, to cut enough rounds to fill both with the electric saw.

My neighborhood is a group of houses surrounded for miles on all sides by farmland. One road in and out. In the past we've had a storm knock down power, and knock down a tree, blocking that one road. Even if the electric saw had been big enough for that job, the four batteries I have wouldn't have come anywhere close to getting that job done. Just an average Tuesday for my 034S, though. I like my battery electric saw, but I won't be selling the 034S or 500i, the same way I won't be selling my big block gasser pickup, even if/when my daily driver is an electric car.

For the average city homeowner who doesn't heat with wood, the gas chainsaw is dead. For those of us who live in the sticks, and do heat with wood, electric saws ain't there yet.

I own a timber farm and have around 8 chainsaws. I have 3 electrics. 2 battery and 1 corded. They definitely have a strong place in the arsenal.
Years back, I picked up a super cheap corded saw, with a coupon. I think I paid $25 for it new at HF. Turns out I have used it a lot for bucking 4"- limbs for the stove. There is an outlet handy by the woodshed so why not. I am amazed that it still works fine and has more than enough power for that task. Even with Madrone and Maple.

So a few years ago I took the plunge and purchased an Echo 56V battery saw with an extra battery. It looks cheesy but it works.
I replaced the narrow LCB bar with a normal S52 because it was throwing chains. I don't like the plastic dogs. It also stops mid-cut sometimes. You have to push the brake on/off, then it resumes. But, with those two annoyances, it has still become my go-to 16" saw. I keep it in the tractor scabbard any time I go out into the woods. So easy to just stop and cut a limb or root and move on. So quiet! No ear protection needed.
One battery failed within a year. I contacted Echo on their website and they sent me a new battery. Good support on that.

I am pushing 70 so I don't monkey up unless I really need to, but when I do, this is the saw on the lanyard. No starting the saw up in the tree, no idling saw. Perfect.
When I go out for serious logging, I still take the echo for cleaning the fells and the occasional notch-out. The two batteries will hold me for a few hours of bucking or more, depending on how fresh the charge, what I am cutting, and blade condition.

When I am pruning the orchard or cleaning up smaller branches on a felled tree, I grab my little Milwaukee "hatchet". Other than the obnoxious trigger lock, it is perfect for that job. I have tons of M12 batteries, so I have never run out of power.

I have a Poulan 20" saw that I purchased new in the mid 80's. I love that saw, but it is now almost 40yrs old, almost all metal, no brake, still starts easy. I have had it apart several times. I am now thinking about an electric 20" saw and relegate the Poulan to backup.

I would love to be able to relegate my Stihl 460M to backup! Fabulous saw but it can be a pain to start. I think we are a long ways off from a practical 32" battery saw though. I will be in a condo by then!

One big consideration for all these battery tools is that the batteries are just bluetooth extension cords, you're still tethered to a wall outlet.
While I'm not in the sticks, all my battery powered saws are charged 100% off a stand-alone Solar/PV battery banked system (e.g. NOT grid tied). In an off-grid setup, with a large enough solar panel array and battery bank, a battery saw is 100% sustainable. The Ego 56V "slow" charger is 210W, which I power off a 12V, 600W inverter. With portable solar panels, e.g. 100W size, if you had four (4) of those, that would give you 400W of power, and during sun hours, that would be more than enough to keep a 210W Ego charger going. I think a 5.0AH (280WH) battery recharges in an hour on the slow charger (maybe 75-90 minutes). While you could burn through a 5.0AH in much less time, having multiple batteries and one on the charger could give you enough power for a full work day.

Yes, you can power your wall outlet however you like.

I have an off grid solar system as well. 1.6kw solar, 11kwh storage, 2x 2.4kw inverters, built precisely because sunlight falls on my property daily, but gasoline doesn't.

Yes, you can power your wall outlet however you like.

I have an off grid solar system as well. 1.6kw solar, 11kwh storage, 2x 2.4kw inverters, built precisely because sunlight falls on my property daily, but gasoline doesn't.
Wait...you live in Oregon and sunlight falls on your property daily? You must live in a different part of the state ;)

Back