Flush cut Apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cj genever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm really good at killing trees. Here's one I didn't want to kill. Based on info I remember from a few decades ago (from another feller) I flush cut a large damaged branch from my crab Apple. I now realize this was wrong. Is there anything I should do at this point that could help this tree out?

Never flush cut any branch from any tree. When you remove a branch you want to leave the branch collar intact with a minimum of branch remaining past that collar.

My op stated that iI understand what I did wrong. Reiterating that information is just kicking a dead horse here. I'm looking for some information on the best way to prevent infection into the trunk. At this point all I know to do is just leave it and let the tree deal with the wound

The tree knows much more than you do about healing itself. Let it do its thing with no chemicals, paints, sealers or other interference.

Keep the tree from getting stressed. That is make sure you water during the summer (let a hose run for a couple hours around the root zone once a week). Some slow release fertilizer wouldn't hurt and mulching around the trunk would also be beneficial.

Back