What is growing here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have a local fast food chain that gives out seeds rather than toys with their kids meals. My 7 year old brings them home and my wife and her plant them. They are usually some type of spice but every once in a while she gets tomatoes or corn, or something along those lines. Well we recently noticed this growing, my daughter says she planted it by herself. Since she had no help we have no idea what it is. My ten year old is guessing it's pumpkins. I guessed zucchini. Anybody else care to field a guess?

My proud daughter and her mystery plant:

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

A close up:

I will post more pics as it flowers and grows.

Looks like a squash plant. Could be yellow squash or even zucchini but my bet is yellow squash. You'll have small squash in a few days. Some of the flowers are male and will die the other are female and will bear the squash.

There will be big yellow flowers your kid will love. Lots of bees will visit them as the squash count on bees and other insects to move pollen from the male anther to the female stigma. No bees, no squash.

squash flower parts.png

squash male female.jpg

Wow, I have been slacking! I've taken a couple pictures that I apparently never posted. :omg: Might as well cut to the chase now. Tonight we harvested our first free range, organic, non GMO crooked neck yellow squash! My daughter, who was still hoping for a pumpkin, asked if she could carve it. o_O

slice the squash and cook it in a pan with some real butter, cook it down really good and season with a little pepper and enjoy.
it is good fried in olive oil or any kind of oil.

Some of my summer squash and purple peppers.

I make a creamy soup ,casserole another things with them. You can even use them like zucchini and make muffins and bread with them.
You can also pollenate them with a feather if you don't have bees around

:D Al

Latest posts

Back