Need work done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highrisen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know theres probably 1,000 threads here like this but heres another one.

Any one in Roanoke/Bedford, Va area (or elsewhere) want to take a stab at how much it would cost to fell about 10 poplars around a house and power line? Or, price per tree? I'd like to think I'm brave enough to buy some spikes and climb them myself but it just seems like a dumb idea for someone who has never done it. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible but in all likelihood I wont be able to afford it this summer... unless the price is right...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 42
Depends what kind of professional service you want. Price will very accordingly. I'd do it cheap if I was in your area but I have no insurance and also not liable for any damage. 10 trees? $20 a tree to put them on the ground only. Looks like nice flat grade and straight trees.

I can't give you an exact estimate, everyone is different but, our rule of thumb, if we have to climb it's $250 right off for every tree that needs climbed. If they can just be felled it will save you alot. Also if you do a down only meaning we come in, fall the trees whether climbing or falling but leave the trees and limbs where they lie and leave the stumps it will save alot too. Before you do a down only, make sure you realize how much work will be left for you. We make clean up and removal look easy but that's what we do day in and day out, and we have equipment most homeowners don't. Get with a local company, they should give a free estimate. Please don't try it yourself.

I know theres probably 1,000 threads here like this but heres another one.

Any one in Roanoke/Bedford, Va area (or elsewhere) want to take a stab at how much it would cost to fell about 10 poplars around a house and power line? Or, price per tree? I'd like to think I'm brave enough to buy some spikes and climb them myself but it just seems like a dumb idea for someone who has never done it. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible but in all likelihood I wont be able to afford it this summer... unless the price is right...

Not to be flippant, but the $20 per tree would not even cover travel time unless you lived next door, in which case I'd do it for free <G>

To be flippant, had some like that near my cabin, let 8 YO grandson climb 20 ft high, tie on a rope ( I tied off the rope to assume it would not fall on the cabin), then let him hack the tree down with a machete. One of the bigger tress (about 8" dbh) took him an hour, but he kept at it. One tree a weekend you would be done in a couple of months, and think of the fun you have with grandkids! If you are allowed slash fires in VA, bigger fun is the BIG bonfires later in the fall!

Another question, are there any leaners, up lifted root plates, dead trees or big dead limbs over the house? If not and the only reason you want or need them gone is aesthetics or a fire barrier then there is really no rush in removal. Tree removal can get expensive and I'd hate to see someone get into a bad financial situation when it can wait the winter.

Thanks for the replies. I know estimates are free but I live out of the way and I dont want to waste anyone's time when I know it will probably be prohibitively expensive for this year. I just know they're soft wood and I want them away from the house. Its also causing mildew problems on the house because the sun never hits 3 of 4 sides.

I dont think it would be hard for someone who knows what theyre doing - if a branch were cut and fell straight down I dont believe any would hit anything but the ground. But they are tall enough that if one fell it would probably lay across the entire dang house.

Then, I sit there looking at how many I would like to take out and it seems like it would be worthwhile to buy whatever equipment I need to do it myself - so long as I dont wuss out at 80 feet up.

Another question, are there any leaners, up lifted root plates, dead trees or big dead limbs over the house? If not and the only reason you want or need them gone is aesthetics or a fire barrier then there is really no rush in removal. Tree removal can get expensive and I'd hate to see someone get into a bad financial situation when it can wait the winter.

There is no immediate threat but I just bought the place and those trees are going to bother me until they're gone. I'm also having to replace wood siding in several places due to mildew/rot from all the shade the house gets.

I realize there isnt much you all can say about this particular job without seeing it in person but I was hoping a local would chime in and give me a place to start.

I also wanted to see the response to a DIY'er talking about trying to climb trees o_O

Thanks for the replies. I know estimates are free but I live out of the way and I dont want to waste anyone's time when I know it will probably be prohibitively expensive for this year. I just know they're soft wood and I want them away from the house. Its also causing mildew problems on the house because the sun never hits 3 of 4 sides.

I dont think it would be hard for someone who knows what theyre doing - if a branch were cut and fell straight down I dont believe any would hit anything but the ground. But they are tall enough that if one fell it would probably lay across the entire dang house.

Then, I sit there looking at how many I would like to take out and it seems like it would be worthwhile to buy whatever equipment I need to do it myself - so long as I dont wuss out at 80 feet up.
I have hired a tree service to take down some trees for me and it is not cheap. But when you consider the cost if something goes wrong then the price is rather fair. Buying all of the gear to do the climbing is the easy part, getting the knowledge and skill to use it safely is another whole conversation. You might try to find out if a tree service has a slow time of year and you might get a better price. It helps to keep the cost down if you do all of the cleanup as well.
Let us know what you decide and pics are great.

If there aren't any leaners requiring climbing, and you want to do the cleanup once they hit the ground (cutting up rounds is fun) then it should be fairly inexpensive.

I don't think you are wasting anyone's time by getting a quote, but you could explain your situation over the phone in advance and see if they still want to come out.

If there aren't any leaners requiring climbing, and you want to do the cleanup once they hit the ground (cutting up rounds is fun) then it should be fairly inexpensive.

I don't think you are wasting anyone's time by getting a quote, but you could explain your situation over the phone in advance and see if they still want to come out.

I wasnt expecting much of a reply to my original post but since ya'll are so being so helpful I'll ask another dumb question. Most aren't leaners but, of course, the majority of branches are growing towards the open areas so they are heavy on the sides that would put them falling on the power lines and house. Do you experts have any tactics that dont require climbing that would fell the tree the other direction from the heavy side?

Can you post some photos of a specific tree for an example?

But yes, there are lots of talented people on here who can fell a tree with a lean. (Using good cutting techniques, wedges, ropes, winches, etc)

As KenJax said, the trees near the power lines are extra risky.
It's worth calling the power company to see if they will clear the trees that could fall on the lines. I've seen them come in and drop huge trees, at no cost, because they might fall on the lines in the next wind storm.

Branches that extend far to one side are equivalent to a leaner. They have more weight high up on one side than on the other. The added weight means it will try to fall in that direction. It is entirely possible to choose which way to fall a tree with a lean, or in your case an imbalance, but it is not a good place to start learning how to drop a tree. The Husky video on felling a tree gives lots of helpful information but even that one is inadequate for what you want to do. The BC Faller series of videos are also very helpful and include lots of great information but again they do not put a new tree faller in a good enough position to work that close to a house or power lines.
Husky Video:
BC Faller series:
Working within the standing tree is far more complex than trying to direct a fall from the ground using cutting techniques. It involves safety practices for climbing, safety practices for working with a chainsaw aloft, rigging to avoid the cut branch going where you don't want it, etc., etc. Unless you have trees that you can fall with confidence and avoid the obstacles, hire a pro to do it. The cost is nothing compared to dropping a tree on your roof.

Mbrick has alot of good points. It wouldn't be a waste of their time, if you're not in a rush just ask them to swing by when they get a chance. Alot of our "secrets" involve a rope and man power or winch. You can even back the rope up with wedges. When using a rope, once the pull is started it must continue, if you bounce it the tree could prematurely break the hinge and go exactly where you don't want it to go. Eric B is right too, tree service isn't cheap, but we're insured. If we drop a tree on your house or septic, we get it fixed. If you do that, homeowners may not cover it. And yes, if you could post some more pics then we can recommend you do it, with our advice or stay clear of it.

Back