hesistating to become an arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoud i just do it?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Vizionary

Husqvarna
Reaction score
Hello all,
i would like to start a training to become a professional arborist.
The only problem i have are heights.
When i was a child i like climbing trees and chainsaws.
I didn't like ladders etc until last year. It didn't scare me.
But buildings like the eifel tower etc. i just can't go up. I'm too scared.
So i would know if i would be scared when i'm up 20 meters in a tree?
It's a hard choice because i don't know that, and you have to pay more than 2000 Euro's to start the first year of the training. One of the requests is that you don't have fear of heights.
I like the job, working with a saw, in the fresh air, up in a tree.
I also spend ours of watching youtube video's of professional arborists.
The passion for it only keeps growing.
I was thinking to go to a climbing wall to see if i'm scared to go up there, but i think that isn't just the same as you are up in a tree. I also don't know someone who practises this job.
What's the best way to find out?

Sorry for my weird english, but i'm from Belgium. ;)

Thanks for your answers.

You will know when you climb a tree either you are too scared or you are OK with it.
Yeah, i would love to try it with the correct arborist safetylines etc but i just don't know how i can find out. I don't have al those ropes etc to try it out, and i don't know anyone who has.

If you have issues with height or get vertigo I would opt for another trade. If you were here in the states I would say no because the cheap Mexicans are undercutting everybody here now and are not licensed, insured or certified. No one seems to care about anything but price now. Until there is an accident.

The problem is i think i would feel confortable hanging up in a tree, but i'm looking for a way to find out this.

Trees and ladders are different IMO. I can go as high as possible in any tree, but you won't catch me at the top of a 30ft ladder.

Only way to find out is to climb a tall tree and see how it goes. Make sure you have someone that can climb to come and get you if you freeze.
I've had to climb up to get more than 1 new climber that was frozen.

Well judging by the 3rd line of your original post, I'd say no. haha

But do what makes you happy.

I posted a similar thread last year asking peoples opinions if I should get into tree work and everyone told me no.
But I did it anyway.

Your destiny cant depend on the opinions of a few people on the internet

Well judging by the 3rd line of your original post, I'd say no. haha

But do what makes you happy.

I posted a similar thread last year asking peoples opinions if I should get into tree work and everyone told me no.
But I did it anyway.

Your destiny cant depend on the opinions of a few people on the internet

And are you scared now?

You left a good paying office job for a crappy paying tree job? :cheers:

Keep your office skills up so you can go back when your shoulders and back have blown out. And if you don't believe me, go back through some of the old threads and see how many guys are living on pain killers.

You left a good paying office job for a crappy paying tree job? :cheers:

Keep your office skills up so you can go back when your shoulders and back have blown out. And if you don't believe me, go back through some of the old threads and see how many guys are living on pain killers.

I still work the office job mon - fri.
I only do tree work on sat - sun. (which pays better imo)

plus here in AZ is different, most of the trees you trim you can get with an 8' step ladder.
If I climb I'm only usually 25' up off the ground.
unless its a palm tree, ill climb 50' palms.

I'm shooting for quitting the office job once I can get enough tree work going to pay the bills.
You know how it is,
ill have a good week with lots of work, then next week I get no calls.

A healthy fear of heights can be a good thing when you educate yourself to make the job as safe as it can be! I have climbed 30 years, I'd be lying if I said I never felt fear but I learned to trust my gear and experience. The difference between fear and terror is fear is overcome by understanding and training. If you are terrified then likely this profession is not best fit!

I have some good news. I'm going to try some climbing with a professional climber. Also i have read a lot about it, and bought a book about climbing techniques. I watched a lot of videos on youtube.

And i'm pretty sure this is what a want to do as my job. When i think about the fact being up in a tree, working and enjoying the view i start smiling. Not thinking about the fear. I'll keep you people updated:)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I can kinda understand what the OP is talking about. I grew up climbing trees (no equipment) and was fearless regarding heights...until i visited the Eiffel tower in Paris. That scared the stuffings out of me. I avoided heights from that day forward till over a decade later when i found myself jobless and desperate with a family to feed. I took a job working with a guy renovating houses and learned to trust my equipment. I realized that as long as i was in control everything was ok. No one was going to throw me over the edge. I wasn't going to throw myself over the edge. Learn the equipment and techniques. Trust the equipment and techniques and i would be fine. I later got a job as a cable guy and learned ladder safety. Again I trusted the equipment and training and I was good. I felt alive at the top of a telephone pole with the wind swaying knowing all was well. The fear of heights is gone now and i'm finding myself liberated once more and returning to climbing.

I just started working with a tree guy in my area and he uses ladders only himself. He's very unsafe and it bugs me. He said his climber is out of town for a few months and i'm the ground guy. All day long i find myself wanting to climb that tree and do it right. (a family friend is a certified arborist and has been doing it for years and i've seen him in action). So i'm here learning everything i can so that i can start slowly practicing on the trees in my back yard and developing techniques.

All that being said the only way to get over the fear is to look it in the eye, learn WHY it makes you afraid, how to mitigate that fear and try it.. If you can not logically turn it off after all the research and giving it a shot then you need to put it away for a while and try later or move on and stop torturing yourself by looking up.

Mike

I can kinda understand what the OP is talking about. I grew up climbing trees (no equipment) and was fearless regarding heights...until i visited the Eiffel tower in Paris. That scared the stuffings out of me. I avoided heights from that day forward till over a decade later when i found myself jobless and desperate with a family to feed. I took a job working with a guy renovating houses and learned to trust my equipment. I realized that as long as i was in control everything was ok. No one was going to throw me over the edge. I wasn't going to throw myself over the edge. Learn the equipment and techniques. Trust the equipment and techniques and i would be fine. I later got a job as a cable guy and learned ladder safety. Again I trusted the equipment and training and I was good. I felt alive at the top of a telephone pole with the wind swaying knowing all was well. The fear of heights is gone now and i'm finding myself liberated once more and returning to climbing.

I just started working with a tree guy in my area and he uses ladders only himself. He's very unsafe and it bugs me. He said his climber is out of town for a few months and i'm the ground guy. All day long i find myself wanting to climb that tree and do it right. (a family friend is a certified arborist and has been doing it for years and i've seen him in action). So i'm here learning everything i can so that i can start slowly practicing on the trees in my back yard and developing techniques.

All that being said the only way to get over the fear is to look it in the eye, learn WHY it makes you afraid, how to mitigate that fear and try it.. If you can not logically turn it off after all the research and giving it a shot then you need to put it away for a while and try later or move on and stop torturing yourself by looking up.

Mike
Exactly what i mean. Not being under control of it drives me crazy. When i know i put that ladder there or i rigged myself up then i'm pretty confortable. Also knowing you are secured by all those methods etc gives you a safer feeling.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Go for it! I suggest that you get a part time job as a groundsman first. Learn the basics, - pruning, planting, treefelling, fertilizers, etc. As you become more experienced, you can start thinking about climbing and becoming certified.

Back