Tree Swing Issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently hung a tree swing to a maple tree in my back yard. I have tried several different methods to attach the chain to the brand itself and no matter what combination I choose the swing just doesn't swing correctly. The branch has little to no movement but when you attempt to swing you barely go anywhere. (you swing straight but you don't get any momentum) I am sure its something simple but I cannot figure it out. I am using steel chain, the branch is roughly 16 feet from the ground and is horizontal. I tried just wrapping the chain itself around the branch (running it through a rubber hose). I tried using straps and attaching the chain to the straps, I even strapped a 4x4 board (which I put eye bolts through) and attached the chain to the eye bolts and still nothing changes.

The swing is great for pushing people on, but as far as being able to swing yourself you won't get very far. I figure it is either the length of the chain is too long to build up any momentum or chain won't work well for the height of the swing and I should use rope. And help would be appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

Yes, the longer the rope the harder it is to gain and hold momentum.
That is what I was afraid of. A few people tried to give it a go but just can't get the swing high at all no matter how hard we try.

Take a look at most swingsets, they have the chain hook into a bushing or eyebolt. 16' will require some effort

One of my attempts to attach it was using an eye bolt attached into a 4x4 which I attached to the branch but it didn't help. I didn't want to drill a hole directly into the branch until I was certain it was the answer to the problem. I either figured the rope was far too long to be effective or the chain had something to do with it. I saw pictures online of people swinging on high attached swings but most were on metal frames. I didn't see any that high up on trees using chains.

For what it is worth it had nothing to do with the length of the chain/rope. The movement in where the chain/rope was draped/attached over the tree branch was stealing the momentum. Once that was rectified the swing works like a charm. I found old ratchet straps, took them apart and just formed a noose threading one end that had a loop through the other, which was tied around the branch. Then after it was tight, I wrapped most of the slack around the branch and connected the chain to the other end of the strap which also had a loop. Problem solved.

An eye bolt would have probably the way to go if the branch wasn't on the thin side (about 6 inches wide) but I was also worried about damaged the tree. With a wide strap it has more surface area and can be easily removed whenever you want.

The only problem with a strap is that if you do not take it off or at least loosen it, it can girdle the limb - even in just one year. 6" is plenty of thickness to thread in 3" eye bolts which is plenty to hold. It won't hurt the tree to leave them in there. Buy bolts bigger than you need and leave them an inch or inch and a half out of the tree so it can grow without swallowing the eye in 2 years (if you had that all the way against the branch). Then don't take them out. The only thing they will hurt is a chainsaw or chipper that finds them later if they are completely engulfed down the road.

Back