Utv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinker toys are awesome.

True story, I have a 3 wheeler, 4 wheeler, UTV and several tractors, but I call each of them what they REALLY are for, and if it's for getting any amount of wood, I use a tractor.

My comments were aimed at the post(s) where I was being told that a UTV was a better wood hauler than a tractor...you know, the tractor that can carry a skidding winch for skidding and a loader or boom pole, for loading what you skid out. FOR about the same money as a bigger UTV...

SR

We have a 500 Ranger 6x6. The extra set of drive wheels helps going uphill when needed. It handles a stacked load of locust and can climb right out of a lot of gullies. As for the tractor vs utv......duh, it's a tractor with a trailer, specifically a M101 military trailer.

Shea

used my 700 Ranger when I had it to bring wood in and haul around the property. Was the single best tool I have used for bringing the wood from my pile into my house and I have used many different methods over the years.
Still miss it sometimes but I get by with the Jeep and trailer.

Well, I did it! bought a Kubota 1120D today. It will be delivered Tuesday. I compared it to 855D John Deere and to me the Kubota is just a beefier machine. No more carrying firewood up the hill, I''ll just back up to it. Mix business with some pleasure here.

I used a Cub Cadet big country (honda powered) SBS for several years.it had a steel bed and would handle all the rounds or split wood you could pile on it.the biggest downfall was it was a 2 wheel drive .other than that I had no complaints about the machine.

I sold it in 2011 and purchased a polaris ranger 500 efi.The polaris worked great for wood gathering and hauling.It wouldnt carry the weight that the cub could but it handle loads well enough.If my primary use was for fire wooding and use as a farm vehicle I would buy another cub tomorrow.
I changed to the polaris because it is well suited for trail riding and can also be used for other purposes are the house

The Cub Big Country was made by Lesco until JD bought them, then the line dropped.

I still use the Lesco version, with the electric dump bed it is perfect for me, load it down in the woods, back up in front of outdoor wood stove and dump.

I pick the wood up once in the woods (twice if it needs to be split) and the next time I touch it it's going in the stove.

2013-02-23_12-41-09_633_zpse21636fc.jpg

My son with a big load:

1201121000.jpg

My daughter running a load:

IMG_20150119_125233420_HDR%201_zpsybq7ytfj.jpg

Well, I did it! bought a Kubota 1120D today. It will be delivered Tuesday. I compared it to 855D John Deere and to me the Kubota is just a beefier machine. No more carrying firewood up the hill, I''ll just back up to it. Mix business with some pleasure here.

That's great. Were you able to take one for a test drive before you bought?

Looking forward to the pics to come. :)

The Cub Big Country was made by Lesco until JD bought them, then the line dropped.

I still use the Lesco version, with the electric dump bed it is perfect for me, load it down in the woods, back up in front of outdoor wood stove and dump.

I pick the wood up once in the woods (twice if it needs to be split) and the next time I touch it it's going in the stove.

2013-02-23_12-41-09_633_zpse21636fc.jpg

My son with a big load:

1201121000.jpg

My daughter running a load:

IMG_20150119_125233420_HDR%201_zpsybq7ytfj.jpg

Dang, that thing's loaded. Looks like a workhorse.

That's almost the same system I use with my ATV. Drive right to the tree & split where it lays, throw off the splitter into a trailer (touch 1), then stack from the trailer onto pallets (touch 2). Then next time I touch the wood it's to put it into the fire in my basement. Having an outdoor burner would save a step if not worried about piling it.

That's great. Were you able to take one for a test drive before you bought?

Looking forward to the pics to come. :)
No I did test drive the Gator and the cab just seemed small to me. The Kubota dealer would have let me but when I compared the options to the Gator and the price was a thousand dollars less.

Tried to figure out where to post this but couldn't decide and since searches come up with almost every mention of a UTV in the firewood section I figure it's the best place. We finally got the JD 825I back together today. It's no wonder the thing had the bottom end wore out with only 400 miles on. 3500rpm to run 15mph. 4800rpm for 25mph and running WOT(5800rpm) only gets you 30-34mph. Those kind of revs on a car engine it's no wonder it didn't last. Low range took 4000rpm for the speedo to even register 1mph. Poor design

For the money I would find an old riding lawnmower that has a busted mower deck and just use it to haul around a little trailer. It would be a lot cheaper then a "any" UTV
I know lots of UTV racers and believe me, they ain't cheap.
Or find a used golf cart.

For the money I would find an old riding lawnmower that has a busted mower deck and just use it to haul around a little trailer. It would be a lot cheaper then a "any" UTV
I know lots of UTV racers and believe me, they ain't cheap.
Or find a used golf cart.
have you priced golf carts lately? they arent cheap either unless its an old harley cart

I love my Honda Big Red 3 wheeler for moving wood around. I keep it in low range so it has plenty of power for pulling the trailer, it turns on a dime, and the darn thing just seems bulletproof.

I had a like new Big Red in my barn, that I bought NEW many years ago... It had sat in the barn so many years the tires rotted off it! Anyway, a couple weeks ago a friend came over and we pulled it out of the barn, put new rubber on it and got it going... I gifted it to him, as he wanted it pretty bad. I think it was on it's 5th tank of gas from new when he took it.

Rough riding little buggers, but they are reliable and cheap to own...

BTW, because of the "oil cooled clutch" in them, I'd be running diesel rated or motor cycle oil in it, and that's what we put in mine after we got it going.

SR

I'm not sure. I'm thinking 10-30. From Sawyer Rob post, I'll do some research before next change.
It's only a 200cc; but man, it's a little workhorse.

Back