Starter Rope Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Need to replace some starter cords on a couple saws. Started looking on line and there are several different sizes.

So is there a common size recommendation? I snapped my 044's cord today. And Models that might need new cords would be 262, 288, and 395 as well. From what I saw on line the 044 takes a 3.5mm rope. Or does it? And does anyone know what the Husqvarnas take? Im seeing sizes from 3-6mm avail.

thanks,

you might just be the first PSP in AS history to actually wear out a starter cord. or did the cord turn brown from use? lol i run 4mm on everything but 3.5 is gonna work just as good. i run 4 cause it's the biggest that fits the saw pulleys besides 394/395, 3120. IIRC you can get away with 4.5mm on those. i might recommend black starter cord. it doesn't stain so you won't have to replace it every 4 startups :D just raz'n steve, it's been a while lol.

just so you know steve. that ain't 4mm. it's 1/8" which i figure is about 3mm. heck of a good deal on stater cord though. 100' roll even ! i'm on the end of a white roll i got but might pick up some of that as well.

heck I just throw in whatever works most of the time hahaha. think I have 2.5mm in a 390xp see how long that last lmaooo

what kind of wood you cutting over there? my buddy worked there and told me the tree's are so small he don't even have to wear caulks cause they don't walk on the logs. he says the wood they cut there would be done with a buncher here. he said he wouldn't even consider anything bigger then a 70cc saw and prefers 60cc. your running 90. is there some big wood there yet? my buddy is actually over there for the holidays right now but is coming back january for a fresh heli season.

just so you know steve. that ain't 4mm. it's 1/8" which i figure is about 3mm. heck of a good deal on stater cord though. 100' roll even ! i'm on the end of a white roll i got but might pick up some of that as well.

yep. typo. I see it is #4 not 4mm. at $14 for 100 feet shipped- its about the best deal I have seen. Hell Baileys is charging 9.99 for a 3 foot piece and a generic handle plus the exorbitant shipping.

bailey's is a damn rip off man, there prices are more then my dealer here and the shipping is rediculous. every other dealer state side can beat my dealers prices but somehow one of the biggest can't.

If i have to replace a starter cord I always use Dyneema core SK78 rope/line it's main use is for sail boat rigging, Zero stretch & very resistant to chafing & can be had in fancy colours if you so desire Miles of it for sale on Flea Bay can be cheaper than the OEM stuff

what kind of wood you cutting over there? my buddy worked there and told me the tree's are so small he don't even have to wear caulks cause they don't walk on the logs. he says the wood they cut there would be done with a buncher here. he said he wouldn't even consider anything bigger then a 70cc saw and prefers 60cc. your running 90. is there some big wood there yet? my buddy is actually over there for the holidays right now but is coming back january for a fresh heli season.
hahaha your right no calks here . I live in the rare part of Ontario that is pretty much all hardwood country same as . central and north easteren usa . so all are wood is sold and priced in the sates. if I drive 4 hours north thats plup country everything is done by buncher big crew . trees are mostly 12-16 inch diameter . I hope that kinda made sense lmaoo

hahaha your right no calks here . I live in the rare part of Ontario that is pretty much all hardwood country same as . central and north easteren usa . so all are wood is sold and priced in the sates. if I drive 4 hours north thats plup country everything is done by buncher big crew . trees are mostly 12-16 inch diameter . I hope that kinda made sense lmaoo

I suppose that wood needs to be hand fallen otherwise the buncher would bust it up making it worth nothing? Makes sense.

you might just be the first PSP in AS history to actually wear out a starter cord. or did the cord turn brown from use? lol i run 4mm on everything but 3.5 is gonna work just as good. i run 4 cause it's the biggest that fits the saw pulleys besides 394/395, 3120. IIRC you can get away with 4.5mm on those. i might recommend black starter cord. it doesn't stain so you won't have to replace it every 4 startups :D just raz'n steve, it's been a while lol.

On arborist site one must replace the heavy oem rope with 100% Kevlar rope and rim sprockets are not a wearable item their for quick changes of the 7 tooth to 8 tooth for cookies. Lol I actually just yesterday cut off an inch of the rope on my old 346 it was worn around the starter handle.

On arborist site one must replace the heavy oem rope with 100% Kevlar rope and rim sprockets are not a wearable item their for quick changes of the 7 tooth to 8 tooth for cookies. Lol I actually just yesterday cut off an inch of the rope on my old 346 it was worn around the starter handle.

do you have a part # for the Kevlar rope?:drinkingcoffee::lol::rock:

If you are using Kevlar for recoil rope/line keep an eye on where the rope exits the flywheel housing/cover because kevlar is noted for destroying most materials that it works against I've seen it cut into mag alloy casings so I would imagine it would deal with plastic in short order after it's worn through the metal ring in the hole where the rope exits

Back