Advice for homeowner chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just stumbled on this Solo 636 (link) and noticed it has decomp too. I have one of those but didn't realize it has decomp as well (or maybe mine doesn't?). Anyway, that is a more "plastic"/homeowner model than the Solo 639 mentioned above, but with that it is more in line with the Dolmar and Stihl models mentioned. It is a light weight saw and handles nicely - had no issues working with it the 4-5 times I took it out to a cutting day for "testing" (fun & games).
That said, I paid way less for mine - in the 25-45€ range if memory serves.
Anyway, that is a lightweight saw with decomp by a decent brand that might serve your purpose.
Just thought I'd add it to the mix for info.

P.S. Ahw duh, looked it up - I paid 15€ for my 636, but the decomp is plugged. That was a really excellent deal though *lol* - runs like a charm!

I should read better *rolleyes* - you also mentioned 40-50cc range for a more general purpose application. The one with decomp that springs to mind is my Dolmar 109 (not 100% sure if all 109 have decomp, but mine does - "HappyStart" blue smiley sticker on it too ;o) it's a really well built decent saw, fairly light weight, handles well and has enough power for most jobs (43cc). Edit: Yes - be carefull - many 109 without "HappyStart" (decomp) around too!
Edit 2: Here is a 109 HappyStart for sale.

If you let go of the decomp wish, there are a many, many good reliable saws in that power range that can be had much cheaper that the comparable Stihl 023, 024, 025, 026 or modern variants.

My favorite "go to" saw if I just want to get a job done and grab the fitting tool, would be the Zenoah G455AVS - I just love that saw. Always starts, runs beautifully, handles perfectly - nice balance and ample power. There must be a reason that this is the model that almost all Chinese clones are based on. Added bonus: If you would ever need spare parts (I never have yet) and can't find OEM, you might just grab a 10€ clone and use those parts (or buy the Chinesium parts new). But it lacks a decomp (some clones have added that however). I paid 50€ for mine, like 7 years ago, which at the time was more than I wanted to spend on a saw, but dang, that was the best buy ever. I got another one for 40€ a few years back because I really couldn't not buy it for that money) If you can grab an original Zenoah from those series (G400, G410 etc) please do not hesitate.

If you're willing to drop the decomp, other saws that are offered way more frequently might be the Husqvarna 40, 41, 44, 50 (non-white top!) from that same era (with the starter that has a little square tuff/pipe under the grip. Good saws that don´t weigh a ton (note that the white top Practica/Rangers are also excellent saws, but weigh a tad more). I've got a few from that series for like 30-50€ each and those are fine workhorses and don't weigh too much either.

Back