Looking for input on Poulan Pro 455

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisherman

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading my chainsaw. I am not a pro, but I do use my chainsaw quite a bit around the property.Have a small Echo arborist's saw with a 14” bar and although super reliable for the past 20 years, lately I have been getting frustrated with it's limitations. Need something bigger but not unmanageable. Yard cleanup used to be a few 12” limbs, but the past few years it has been more like 24” trees. I want a pro quality saw, ...well, because I'm a tool junky and hate using inferior tools, they always let me down. But, at the same time, for only occasional use I don't want to spend the dough on a new saw. So, have been looking at a few used pro models on FB etc. Was pretty much settled on a Stihl 026,and there are a bunch of them being offered in my locale. But today a Poulan Pro 455 popped up. I believe that both those saws are about the same vintage.... 1988/9, but I don't know much about the Poulan other than it's a bit larger, more powerful, and maybe more capable? I am hoping that some folks will chime in and help out a non-pro who just enjoys using nice equipment, and has a need for a used, 50-75 cc 18-22” bar chainsaw. Comments on the Poulan Pro 455 appreciated.

Quality? (compared to a Stihl 026 for example)

What is the parts support for the Poulan Pro 455? (I work on my own engines etc, so just need to know if parts are plentiful).

Any particular trouble areas specific to this model that I should look at when buying used?

Lastly, it appears that they started offering the 455 in 1988, but I couldn't find when it was discontinued. Is there a place on the saw to tell it's year of manufacture? Do they still make this model?

Thanks.

Looking at upgrading my chainsaw. I am not a pro, but I do use my chainsaw quite a bit around the property.Have a small Echo arborist's saw with a 14” bar and although super reliable for the past 20 years, lately I have been getting frustrated with it's limitations. Need something bigger but not unmanageable. Yard cleanup used to be a few 12” limbs, but the past few years it has been more like 24” trees. I want a pro quality saw, ...well, because I'm a tool junky and hate using inferior tools, they always let me down. But, at the same time, for only occasional use I don't want to spend the dough on a new saw. So, have been looking at a few used pro models on FB etc. Was pretty much settled on a Stihl 026,and there are a bunch of them being offered in my locale. But today a Poulan Pro 455 popped up. I believe that both those saws are about the same vintage.... 1988/9, but I don't know much about the Poulan other than it's a bit larger, more powerful, and maybe more capable? I am hoping that some folks will chime in and help out a non-pro who just enjoys using nice equipment, and has a need for a used, 50-75 cc 18-22” bar chainsaw. Comments on the Poulan Pro 455 appreciated.

Quality? (compared to a Stihl 026 for example)

What is the parts support for the Poulan Pro 455? (I work on my own engines etc, so just need to know if parts are plentiful).

Any particular trouble areas specific to this model that I should look at when buying used?

Lastly, it appears that they started offering the 455 in 1988, but I couldn't find when it was discontinued. Is there a place on the saw to tell it's year of manufacture? Do they still make this model?

Thanks.
If you were closer you could go pick it up for me. One of the few old saws I still run. It's rigged with a bow 16x24"
They have grunt and never need much but maybe a carb cleaning and filter attention constantly if not updated. They are heavy but they got balls for days. It will oil a 28" bar no sweat. Likely could mill with a 32" or 36" mill. It would pull 42 setup in 32" hardwood slowly at 77cc. I had a 24" 8 pin rim on it once. Tree killer but better suited to bucking. Replace the rim if it needs one. Remove the giant internal muffler screen. Enjoy that idol note. If you keep the chain sharp it will serve you well. It has an adjustable oil pump. Likes 32 or 40-1
I'm updating my air filter to a stack type. It can be updated with sponge type panel I have here. They use oil and are washable.

Take half the threads off the gas cap. They always stick. Don't crank them down it ruins the cap gaskets.20221017_200212.jpg

Ported they rip. TM did one years ago maybe others did them. This might get done some day. It has had the reed flipped and a muffler mod. The rest is stock. Pulls full comp RS no sweat in oak.

Buffers are rubber and available sometimes in singles or pairs on Ebay. I bought two to replace a ripped used one that came with this saw. The other is still here. It had ten cords cut when I bought it. It has well over 800 tanks through it now. It's been through four gallons of gas a day in big red oak. That is dozens of tanks. Yes, my hands hurt like hell after that day. The bottom guard is a Stihl and the top guard was moved back and notched. The bow face weld of Stelite is half gone now and flipped twice dressed four times. It had one sparkplug years ago. Filters are felt.

Look up Farmsaw. The parts to dress it are all the same. They come in different cylinders and colors.

Buy an 026 if you want things to take longer or run a light weight saw. The comparison is night and day. Power wise it feels like double in your hands. 026 is a tough tool also but lacking in all the same ways like most old tools. Tiny air filters, short strokes and direct drive oil pumps suck in 026s. Your limited to a 20" bar there.

Latest posts

Back