Tree falling w/o a clue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody912

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Neighbor had a bunch of dead locust on the land line, 100+ tall plus and 3rd neighbors barn was in reach. Told him I would help him cut them this morning, pretty much spent the morning in a cold sweat. Angled back cuts, cut the hinges, hung them in adjacent trees etc etc , had to drag a bunch of them out with my tractor. I really planned on cutting them for him but I assume his testosterone got in the way of that. ( I grade myself a C- as a faller but I ain't too proud to put a line on them to help control the fall) Don't know whether I saved his life by helping or took 10 yrs off mine by being there!

Sounds fairly gnarly man! But you got it done, that's what counts, and nothing broken, no one hurt.

Sounds kind of like my neighbor. This past fall, I came home one evening after work and noticed him on the end of a 20 ft ladder trying to top a 50 - 60 ft hickory. He was standing on the top rung of the ladder, had himself tethered off with a piece of clothesline and getting ready to top this tree with a Stihl 028.

I went over with a couple of beers, talked him down and convinced him to wait until the weekend and I could help. In the end it all worked out and I had a big load of hickory.

Neighbor had a bunch of dead locust on the land line, 100+ tall plus and 3rd neighbors barn was in reach. Told him I would help him cut them this morning, pretty much spent the morning in a cold sweat. Angled back cuts, cut the hinges, hung them in adjacent trees etc etc , had to drag a bunch of them out with my tractor. I really planned on cutting them for him but I assume his testosterone got in the way of that. ( I grade myself a C- as a faller but I ain't too proud to put a line on them to help control the fall) Don't know whether I saved his life by helping or took 10 yrs off mine by being there!
get all the wood for your time??? mmmmmm, LOCUST!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like it would make a great Family Guy episode.:lol:

Actually meant to get some vids but discovered my trigger finger did not work when my testicles were pushing against my larynx and my sphincter muscles were reaching the limits of their modulus of elasticity. Will get some stump pics when I get a chance, you'll especially appreciate the reverse double beaver gnaw in the pike position backcut. As far as the firewood, I have about a 10 yr supply and more on the ground in both ends of this county, pretty much staked a claim that some was going to our 81 yr old neighbor that lives in a log cabin, try to keep him enough wood so he won't have an excuse to go out by himself and cut

Actually meant to get some vids but discovered my trigger finger did not work when my testicles were pushing against my larynx and my sphincter muscles were reaching the limits of their modulus of elasticity. Will get some stump pics when I get a chance, you'll especially appreciate the reverse double beaver gnaw in the pike position backcut. As far as the firewood, I have about a 10 yr supply and more on the ground in both ends of this county, pretty much staked a claim that some was going to our 81 yr old neighbor that lives in a log cabin, try to keep him enough wood so he won't have an excuse to go out by himself and cut
ill be getting a new screen from clem,,but you can send me a spare for that comment.......

When I clean up a stump I always say I am making a cut so I can use my Tordon on a fresh cut. I must say that even a rank amateur like me has never left a stump looking that bad on even my first attempt before cleaning it up.

We set a house at a job site today. I had to take some pictures of the one stump. Home owner said he hired a tree service to cut the trees down. I never seen the trees but I'm glad I wasn't there.
View attachment 483971

I would almost swear I did that job, but I was too drunk that day to remember..... :laugh:

Went over yesterday to take a pic of the reverse double beaver gnaw but it was gone ( I had flush cut it to make room for another fall) guessing it was sent to the Logging Hall of Fame or something. Think this one was cut after I departed ( well, ran for my life screaming like a girl) strangely enough it lodged in a fork of the tree directly in front of it. Also saw a couple stumps that had split clear down thru the roots. Next time you feel like helping someone, remenber: good deeds never go unpunished!
WP_20160207_16_22_59_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back