Thoughts about small stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a small hand operated stump grinder for small jobs around the yard and was wondering what others' thoughts are about this. I've never owned a stump grinder before and don't want to spend a fortune on a big grinder and am not in a hurry to clear the stumps out so it wouldn't have to be fast. Might even consider a used one but seldom see one for sale around here. Thanks.

I'd thought about it. I have several stumps in my yard right now and wasn't sure how long I would need it and haven't priced a rental yet. I know that's what I should have done when I bought my new log splitter, used it three times I think and now it sits in the garage..

Small grinder will beat you up. Rent a small self propelled grinder like a 252 or little bandit to see how it all works before you buy one.

My small rayco is called the punisher. Nothing about it is fun, and is miserable to operate, but will grind small stumps 0-18" or so.

My small rayco is called the punisher. Nothing about it is fun, and is miserable to operate, but will grind small stumps 0-18" or so.

Lmao!

So true!!! Rent a self propelled for sure, do not buy.

It was the first grinder I bought, I only use it on jobs where nothing else can get in, you can wheel it through living rooms and on decks... I remove a couple trees a year that they have built decks around and that's it's only use for me at this point. It is the punisher

I wasn't planning to do stump grinding for other people, just got a bunch of stumps on my property and it would be easier to mow with them gone. I have plenty of time to get rid of the stumps so a little one would be okay if it would do the job. I'm kind of surprised there are so few around here for sale used, there's gobs of log splitters but few stump grinders..

The way it's looking now I won't have long to wait and the stumps will be rotted away. I checked one of them out today and it's almost gone. I shoveled a bunch of it up and threw it in the wheelbarrow and carted it off. I have a little bit of it left but may be able to roto till the thing up before long. A couple others are still solid but I took an old chainsaw and cut some zig zags across it hopefully to help it rot. I was just gonna kind of clean it up with the stump grinder but may not have to.

Back