New gear basics for trainee climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treetipper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought an echo CS 355t and a Buckingham saddle. Can you please let me know all the basic gear that I would need as I am in training climber. Lanyards, chainsaw lanyard xcetera

Gotta have good sense. Its not a mindless job. It takes problem solving and good decision making.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My boss has all old gear except for ropes. I'm trying to get all my own stuff that's good quality. Also for side work

He's really old school and owns the business. The only New stuff he has is ropes and lanyards. But I think. He might be stuck in the past.

Nothing wrong with old school. Everyone should learn on and spend some time on a blakes hitch. There's alot to learn and you dont necessarily need all the newest gear to do so. If you must buy gear right now stick to the basics and add in new tools as you progress. If you don't have to buy gear right now then don't! Save your money and try as many different things as possible. Alot of this stuff is personal preference. If you are required to buy gear spend your money on the stuff you're gonna have for a while. Get a comfortable and quality saddle and helmet. Get rope on sale, you're going to be replacing it anyway and you won't really know exactly what you need yet. Make your own lanyard setup, a cheap micro pulley, a snap, a biner, and an old chunk of climbline are perfect. Find some spurs on sale or used. Buy a decent handsaw. Get a good throwline setup. I recommend a cube, 200' zingit or comparable and two weights. Believe me, you want to get damn good with a throwball. This is the biggest time and labor saver there is.

Okay so I just bought some Klein 8210 Spurs used. Echo cs355t, bartlett arbormaster saddle used in good shape. Only 2 d rings though ? I was going to order a climb right lanyard on eBay. Is it a lot cheaper to make your own? Right now I'm looking online to order everything I need to do I just want to get the basics lanyard throw line helmet

That saddle looks pretty good. Just look at it real close for any broken or worn webbing and stiching.
I got it for 40 bucks. No rips looks safe. At work I'm using a weaver d saddle. Using a flipline with s rings, where would you connect a srt on this saddle?

Through the webbing loops on the bridge.
Ok I just started climbing 2 weeks ago. What do I need there for srt set up? So far I've got this saddle, klein spikes, 5/8" 12' flipline. Chainsaw lanyard. 120 rope, throw line and bag.

but i do have to say I've seen saddles in far worst shape
Not sure if they look safe either. I'm going up in saddle next week. The one I'm using at work is in way worse shape. I wanted to start using this and get a new saddle in November

Back