Chipper confusion causing heavy drinking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your going to do this much, go ahead and get a 9" machine. It will pull in a lot more limbs without having to cut them into a stick. It's at least twice as productive as a 6 inch chipper time wise depending on what your doing. As for making everything firewood, it's much more time consuming to cut it all up than to just throw it through the chipper. No one is going to show up to get a bunch of pine, at least not around here. It's much nicer to be able to run all of the pine limbs through a 9" chipper vs having a bunch of 6 to 8" pine logs plus the trunk.

The maintenance on our 935 has been really easy. We've had it for over two years. The only thing we have had to do other than maintenance is replace the starter. They get full of tree stuff and the brush housing seizes. It's change the oil once in a while, sharp knives, set the anvil, clean the air filter.

Wallenstein also makes a 6" chipper if you can't find a 9". I have the 3" one for my compact tractor and really like it, but i cut everything up for firewood, and then chip as less as possible as one guy as already stated. one down fall i have found with mine is the top of the shoot doesn't point up enough to hit the back of a trailer, or truck, don't know about the 6" models but i will be fixing that this winter.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1210691975

Found a 250 bandit, john deere diesel, 2000 with a little over 2000 hrs, well maintained for $8500. Seems like a great deal. A bit bigger than I really need, but I don't think I will ever grow out of that chipper. Any opinions on the Bandit 250s?

Sounds like a very good deal. After 15 years in the business as a weekend warrior, I'd get it (actually, I'm looking around for a good deal on a 12 inch too). However, I'm not planning to use it as my work horse. It will be a backup for those big jobs (especially pine as stated by others). the little 25 HP 6 inch will still remain my go-to chipper. Before u pull the trigger, u need to under stand the facts:
1. the 250 is a over 6000 LB. cannot be removed manually like a 6" one.
2. maintainance! A LOT more and harder to do. If u r very handy and have plenty time to do that, fine. I never do since I fill almost all my free time doing tree work (making money).
3. If u r getting a 2000 year model with only 2000 hours for $8500, and u can be reasonably sure that there is no major flaws (like engine, etc) that's heck a deal. Let's hope that u don't need to put 3, 4 grand into it soon.

if u can live with those facts then go for it. I don't mean to spoil ur excitement. Just speaking from my 15 year experience with the same business model as yours.

Erwin,

Greatly appreciate your advice, and you highlighted some great areas I need to consider and evaluate. It is a monster of a chipper and the weight is a concern. The maintenance is something I will only be able to handle the little repairs. The big stuff I will have to take it in to the shop for. Not ideal but I don't trust myself with engine repair. Really appreciate the help. Fingers crossed there isn't a major issue that I happened to overlook on this 250.

We run primarily 250's and going back to a Bandit 90 drives me crazy due to its inefficiency in how much I have to cut up to make it chip.

I think a 6" would frustrate me to the point of looking for a job at Walmart.

U guys who Try to work him up for a big chipper have to remember that he's only going to use it once or twice a week not like you every day.
Unless he has a large property that he can just keep it hitched all the time at home it will be quite a chore to get it together for a Saturday job. Also, there will be days during the week he needs to go do a quick trim or small removal in the evening during the summer long days. Try to think about the trouble he has to go through to do that.
Every time that beast has to go to the shop, it will eat deeply into his hardwork earnings.

I have a chipper I use for saturdays only, it's a 12 inch, I have not a very big property to park it but it has a spot just as a 6 inch chipper would have a spot I back up un hitch and my truck is free. A 6 inch chipper or a 20 inch chipper it's the same process to mobilize it, hook it up and drive away.

Those quick trims need a quick clean up not even 5 mins of chipping or 30 mins of one branch at a time, yea screw that! It will cost him a bit more in truck fuel but a 12 inch chipper will save time and plenty of it. Long ago before I knew, I did a job with a rented 6 inch chipper that took 6 hours straight of chipping it would have been maybe a half hour with a 12 inch that in itself would be worth more then enough to justify the difference in my opinion. Disposing of debris should not be your bottle neck, a 6 inch chipper is a bottle neck. If you must get one due to purchase price ok great but if you can afford a bigger one it will make you money.

If you compare how much we beat the crap out of our 15 inch on the daily to how little maintenance we do if you use it once a week it'll will cost very little to maintain. Yes parts are more money but the frequency of replacement are less.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Get the biggest chipper you can afford and that you can safely tow with your truck. Most 12" chippers are too much for a ton truck. 9" machines are the sweet spot for a small outfit. 6" are just too small. Personally I'd look for a bandit 90, carlton 1790, or morbark equivalent. But really buy the best machine you can afford.

That said I had a woodchuck chuck'n'duck with the 300ci ford I-6. It was cheap, ultra reliable, simple to work on, etc. That thing was perfect to train someone how to use a chipper, it would put the fear of god in you! Those old chippers are a decent option for a part timer, but you will invent new profanity when it whips the piss out of you with a limb.

Back