Chipper confusion causing heavy drinking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no-moneyjustsaws

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need to ask the experts for some help on this one. I used to climb for a few companies for a number of years and had a change of occupation 9 years ago (high school science teacher), but have always done small jobs on the side since I starting teaching. Decided I'd buy some equipment this year, a truck and a chipper. I am having some difficulty finding a chipper that can handle a 9" limb that isn't 15 grand. I'm not going to be doing more than 30-40 jobs a year, small potatoes, but need a chipper that can handle the brush (piling brush on a trailer isn't worth the time at this point). Any models I should be looking for? And any suggestions on where I should be looking? Craigslist has been a waste of time and local tree companies won't give me the time of day, which I get but I'm still without a chipper. I'd appreciate any help you guys got. Cheers

Chippers are stupid prices here, good luck mate

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I just cut the whole tree up into firewood and kindling, load it into trailers, and only chip the stuff that's about 1.5" or smaller. With a 3.5" chipper. Not fast, but it works for me.

A good 9" capacity chipper for under 15k would be a steal.

Finding one with a bad motor and fixing or replacing it would be your cheapest route but still going to run you 10k or so total.

The old style drum chippers chip brush but will not take 9" stuff. May be the best solution for you.

I feel super lucky with my score. I got a bandit 150 with 3000 hours for $5,000. I've put a thousand hours since I bought it with almost no issues (one alternator, one hydraulic hose). Thing is a beast. Just keep looking on Craigslist in your city and every major city within a half day drive.
We joke that it's a two stroke, we have never changed the oil, we just keep adding it.

I have a 935 that will chip to capacity(9"). It's been a good little chipper. It's big enough to be useful but still pretty compact. They aren't really common but you might want to keep an eye out for one while your searching. We have gotten into doing a good bit of crane work. It's not up to the task for that kind of stuff. We bought an 18" chipper this week. We have a 12" vermeer that we are going to sell to help offset the new chipper. I'm kinda thinking about keeping the 935 for smaller trim jobs when I really don't need an 18" chipper.

I had a bandit 90 for 3 years. It was a 1994, had a 37 Wisconsin gas. I bought for $4500 with 300 hours on it.
Was very reliable and worked great for what it was.

consider a Bandit 65 from your work needs and description be great lighter smaller saves you tow gas & get into the back yard job so saves you dragging brush & just leave the log wood for fire wood mines 18 years old going great " after its new motor"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-brush-bandit-65xp-/282187199225?hash=item41b3aaf2f9:g:0hgAAOSwYIxX4t7z

Thanks for the specific model suggestion. I am thoroughly in the dark on this. Your 65 handles the brush no problem? The limb would and stick would will all be firewood, just need a quick way to handle the brush. My fear is getting a chipper that doesn't have enough power and is a snail handling the brush, time wise.

A good 9" capacity chipper for under 15k would be a steal.

Finding one with a bad motor and fixing or replacing it would be your cheapest route but still going to run you 10k or so total.

The old style drum chippers chip brush but will not take 9" stuff. May be the best solution for you.

That might be the way to go, thanks.

I had a bandit 90 for 3 years. It was a 1994, had a 37 Wisconsin gas. I bought for $4500 with 300 hours on it.
Was very reliable and worked great for what it was.

Thanks, I guess I just have to keep looking for those deals. Can I ask how you came across that chipper? Ad? Word of mouth?

I have a 935 that will chip to capacity(9"). It's been a good little chipper. It's big enough to be useful but still pretty compact. They aren't really common but you might want to keep an eye out for one while your searching. We have gotten into doing a good bit of crane work. It's not up to the task for that kind of stuff. We bought an 18" chipper this week. We have a 12" vermeer that we are going to sell to help offset the new chipper. I'm kinda thinking about keeping the 935 for smaller trim jobs when I really don't need an 18" chipper.

Thanks, I haven't seen many 935's in my search, but ill keep an eye open. How is the maintenance on the Vermeers? Can you do much of the work on your own?

If this is going to be a side business for you, you should get what worked for me for the past 13 years. That is: a 6" chipper, Vermeer 25HP and a 3/4 ton or one ton truck (f250 or 350) that way you don't have a problem parking your rig at your own place assuming that you have a property larger than the std 1/4 acre. Build a wooden box on the truck. The reason for the 6" instead of 9" or larger, is you can move it easily yourself manually. That's a huge plus if you are running solo. you can chip all the brushes you trim all day in 30-60 min. A 9" might save you 10 to 30 min, not enough to justify the cost and inconvenience. I'm doing $1000 to $2000 work every saturday with one part time helper now and I still resist the idea of going to a bigger chipper. If you keep your saws sharp and well maintened, it's so much easier to cut the brunches to fit the smaller chipper than try to feed a large branch into a large chipper. Just my 2 cents. Another word of wisdom to give you: don't low ball, try to charge the higher market price in your market since you'll have more work than you have time to do it. Make your time worth it.

If this is going to be a side business for you, you should get what worked for me for the past 13 years. That is: a 6" chipper, Vermeer 25HP and a 3/4 ton or one ton truck (f250 or 350) that way you don't have a problem parking your rig at your own place assuming that you have a property larger than the std 1/4 acre. Build a wooden box on the truck. The reason for the 6" instead of 9" or larger, is you can move it easily yourself manually. That's a huge plus if you are running solo. you can chip all the brushes you trim all day in 30-60 min. A 9" might save you 10 to 30 min, not enough to justify the cost and inconvenience. I'm doing $1000 to $2000 work every saturday with one part time helper now and I still resist the idea of going to a bigger chipper. If you keep your saws sharp and well maintened, it's so much easier to cut the brunches to fit the smaller chipper than try to feed a large branch into a large chipper. Just my 2 cents. Another word of wisdom to give you: don't low ball, try to charge the higher market price in your market since you'll have more work than you have time to do it. Make your time worth it.

That was exactly what I am looking to do. It's great to hear someone doing the level of work that I am planning to do with the equipment I was intending. The chipper has been my worry, but knowing you handled the brush on your job efficiently with a 6" chipper is reassuring. Thanks for the input. Cheers

Back