Hello everyone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New to the site and a novice when it comes to chainsaws, just bought a cs 590 and would like to know if there is anyone in the Ocala, Fl or Tampa, Fl area that can teach me a couple pointers in chainsaw safety, would like to learn from a pro not the hard way lol. Ill buy you a 12 pack. TY

Nick

Too far to drive for a 12 pack. My basic advice is keep your thumb wrapped around the top handle. If the tip of the saw hits something on the far side of the log you are cutting, it can kick back really fast. If your thumb is wrapped, it will just push your hand back, and scare the crap out of you. If your thumb is riding on top of the handle and it kicks back, it will rip out of your hand and run across your knuckles in a heart beat. Don't cut all the way through into the dirt. Use a plastic wedge to keep the cuts from closing and pinching the bar. I usually just grab a stick and put it in the cut and break off 3 or 4 pieces to keep the cut open. Be careful, and pay attention, Joe.

Too far to drive for a 12 pack. My basic advice is keep your thumb wrapped around the top handle. If the tip of the saw hits something on the far side of the log you are cutting, it can kick back really fast. If your thumb is wrapped, it will just push your hand back, and scare the crap out of you. If your thumb is riding on top of the handle and it kicks back, it will rip out of your hand and run across your knuckles in a heart beat. Don't cut all the way through into the dirt. Use a plastic wedge to keep the cuts from closing and pinching the bar. I usually just grab a stick and put it in the cut and break off 3 or 4 pieces to keep the cut open. Be careful, and pay attention, Joe.

How bout a 24 pack, haha, Just joking but those are some helpful tips, I never though about a wedge or sticks but that will help me a lot in the future! Thanks again Joe

Well, lots to say on this topic. Here are a few more.
Watch videos on YouTube for chainsaw safety. Some guys do a great job explaining it all. Also Watch videos of chainsaw accidents and stupidity. That will help give you a healthy fear of the machine.
I lost the hearing in one ear, so I always encourage using hearing protection. Running a saw without it is doing damage and you get a little bit deafer each time. You'll be quite deaf far earlier than you ought to be.
Never let the chain touch dirt or anything other than wood. It should always spit out wood chips, not dust. If it spits out dust, sharpen.
Learn how to sharpen. Many of us file by hand. It's cheap and effective but takes practice. Youtube for details.
Felling trees is a world in itself. Easy to screw it up, so learn all you can before starting to do that.
Don't cut when tired. Don't drink when cutting.
That's it for now. Lets see what the next guy has to add.

Hello everyone,

New to the site and a novice when it comes to chainsaws, just bought a cs 590 and would like to know if there is anyone in the Ocala, Fl or Tampa, Fl area that can teach me a couple pointers in chainsaw safety, would like to learn from a pro not the hard way lol. Ill buy you a 12 pack. TY

Nick
picture what is happening to that log as the teeth cut tear and rip chips out....add red blood and bone chips to the picture you never want to see happen...to anyone specially you. Now that you may b more attentive. safely using power tools of any sort requires attention. I've read on this site the 2 most likely to injure themselves are the person who has worked with saws so long respect for the tool is lessened at the other end is the person who doesn't know enough things to fear/respect and accidents thereby occur.i don't know well enough to be a teacher. I've been just causcious enough to lack chain scars.Sawing safely is enjoyable chaps,helmet /w face shield ear protection, steel toe boots les your trimming power lines is a start. welcome 'n safety to you

There are some vids on YouTube put out by a company, can't recall the name exactly but it's like "British Columbia fallers safety standards" or something to that effect. It's like a 17 part series and it covers everything. I could take the time to search it for you, but then again so could you.

Highly recommended.

Back