It lives again! The exploded 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the 064 that exploded in my hands at 14,000 RPMs. I rebuilt it with a new crankcase, a new 13-pin big-end bearing 066 crank, a KS 064 cylinder, and a new Stihl piston. I took .037" out of the squishband and set the squish at .019". It has a modded muffler and DP cover. This cylinder has NO PORTING. It's amazing how well this saw runs. It tunes out to 14K and has a powerband from 9,000-12,500 RPMs. I'll be going back in a porting this saw at a later time.

About the crankshaft that's in this saw.... In the beginning, Stihl used the same crankshaft in both the 064 and 066. They later went to a larger big end rod bearing...still a metal flywheel saw. This crank became standard for the 066 while the smaller one was used in the 064. I wanted the bigger rod bearing in this saw. There was debate on whether or not it would fit. As it turns out, it fit perfectly.

About the crankshaft that's in this saw.... In the beginning, Stihl used the same crankshaft in both the 064 and 066. They later went to a larger big end rod bearing...still a metal flywheel saw. This crank became standard for the 066 while the smaller one was used in the 064. I wanted the bigger rod bearing in this saw. There was debate on whether or not it would fit. As it turns out, it fit perfectly.

BTW, this was all before the changes made when they went to the poly flywheel.

I have a basket case that is either a 066 or a 064. What are the differences?
066 has a different cylinder cover, wide flywheel and starter and has a different oil pump as stated above, also it's 54mm instead of 52.

Every 066 I ever worked on has a decomp valve on the cylinder but my "new" 064 does not. Therefore, in my case, the 064 begs for a larger, more comfortable pull cord handle or an owner with a stronger grip. Maybe I could borrow Brad's biceps once in awhile. :D

Latest posts

Back