Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually must have exaggerated the size of the Walnut tree I previously mentioned, it's more like 10' in diameter, and the ones I already bucked are even smaller, here are the pics. All in all, it didn't seem like much of a waste, not really big trees...

gd5nAIV.jpg

kdrilyJ.jpg

Z9l4hjR.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I guess that must be the largest Walnut I've ever seen at 10 feet diameter. Your picture doesn't do it justice.

We used to have a weekly shopper style newspaper where private parties could place for sale ads for free.

Free was good but the denigrates working there screwed up the ads almost constantly. One time they advertised my boat as a 14" boat. Of course some wisenheimer with no real interest in the item had to call me up to point that out lol

cfb2dea742b24fa3bd7dad3a89a875f5.jpg

Another 2 face added to the pile yesterday. Pushing 35 face right now. Looking for 45 before winter... finally found a reliable source for log loads so I can keep a year ahead. Average burn for a New York winter is 20 face to keep my fuel oil consumption to 50 gallons a winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cfb2dea742b24fa3bd7dad3a89a875f5.jpg

Another 2 face added to the pile yesterday. Pushing 35 face right now. Looking for 45 before winter... finally found a reliable source for log loads so I can keep a year ahead. Average burn for a New York winter is 20 face to keep my fuel oil consumption to 50 gallons a winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like some nice airflow in that sweet old shed.

Love the help. Nice, neat stacking job sir.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
the twins are 8 years old and do a wonderful job of firewooding .. their pride comes from a job well done and satisfied with a smile! I could not and would not ask for more from them as their own workman ship shows.

IMG_5051.jpg IMG_5050.jpg IMG_5049.jpg
Ten year old Built-Rite conveyor. I bought it used, put some magnetic tow lights on it, a farm triangle, some flags, and towed it home from Iowa to Michigan. It was three years old.

Knocked the weld splatter down with a file and hit it with some emery cloth, near where the rear hub seal goes on the largest spindle flange. It didn't seem to clean up very well. Found the spindle beat up just behind the threads on this side also. It sure raises some questions... Went ahead and did both sides with complete hub kits. The other side was rusted also, and getting tight, but not seized yet. Greased everything, including the inside of the new grease caps. The old ones had rust inside them.

The conveyor came with a hand crank jack to raise and lower it. However the upper A-frame that these spindles are attached to is a tube in tube hinge. It seized last year, for lack if grease zerks, which had a part in the hand crank jack failure. I drilled the outer tube and added zerks, and after several days of penetrating oil, suspending the conveyor tires off the ground with a forklift, and bounced on the seized A-frame with my body weight until it broke free. Then added a valve and cylinder in anticipation of loading more landscape dump trucks. (Still need to add a counterbalance valve.)

I pulled it out here, dragged it actually, to load a truck yesterday. Tomorrow I'll have to move the conveyor back into place for splitting. Wish there was a hitch on the front of the quad to make that a little easier. Kind of a snug fit...and the Posch on the other end.IMG_4593.jpg

There is a saying: If you don't think little things matter, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito.

The rear bearing surface of the hub wasn't much better. It is a Dexter hub. I had to google to figure out what I had to get for replacement part sizes. Pretty simple all in all. $43. per side, although I did not find Dexter locally, and used an off brand. I'm no mechanic, but this should work. I greased the spindle to keep it from rusting and latter thought maybe I should not have, because the race should not spin. Any thoughts? Or am I chasing a mosquito that isn't there. In this case it is just sitting for the most part.

With that much rust did they forget to put the seal on the back side?!
My guess is one of two things. The seal rubber failed in some way, or the weld splatter did not allow the seal to function properly. I bent the seal up taking the hub off and didn't really look closely at it, assuming at the time, the weld splatter was the cause. The other side hub was rusting also, and no splatter there. 3,500 pound hubs, or 1,750 each.

There is a saying: If you don't think little things matter, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito.

The rear bearing surface of the hub wasn't much better. It is a Dexter hub. I had to google to figure out what I had to get for replacement part sizes. Pretty simple all in all. $43. per side, although I did not find Dexter locally, and used an off brand. I'm no mechanic, but this should work. I greased the spindle to keep it from rusting and latter thought maybe I should not have, because the race should not spin. Any thoughts? Or am I chasing a mosquito that isn't there. In this case it is just sitting for the most part.
I would agree it is fine to grease the spindle. Once the axle heats up a bit it will swell and the bearing race will not spin. Better to have a little grease on there than have it rust to the axle and be a bear to remove next time (if there is a next time).

Back