044/046 oiler modified illustrated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
Mike Lee told me how to do this and there have been pictures here and there. I did two of these tonight so I figured I would take pics and document.

First knock out the roll pin holding the control bolt in place.image.jpg

After the pin is out latch onto the bolt and remove, it can be a bit of a bear but it will come.image.jpg

Remove the bolt, piston with spring and washers and this is what you have.image.jpg

Once you have the bolt out its clear how the piston rides back and forth against the concentric cam of the bolt. I remove roughly 1mm from each lobe of the cam. I used my foredom with a few discs stacked up. On the left is an unmodified bolt and on the right one that is ready.image.jpg

I also take 1mm out of the pocket on the piston.image.jpg

The 044 oiler allows to enlarge from a 5/64 hole in the trough to a 3/32. image.jpg

The 046 is captured but it looks as though ther is a plug that may or may not be able to remove to drill out the passage.image.jpg

image.jpg

Fairly simple mod that doesn't take very long.

I think it will work on most saws as they are similar. Did something like this on a Dolmar other that the groove in the piston....had really thought about it but that confirms it. Steepened the ramp on the adjuster. It will be interesting to see how it will wear as I think it was nylon and not metal like the Stihls.

Good jod redfin!!!!! Nice post with detailed pictures!!

Has anyone removed or drilled the plug on the 046? I was thinking of drilling it and putting back a setscrew.

I didn't know about drilling the hole to 3/32", thanks for sharing. I don't have mine modded to the point I need to turn it down yet, but maybe with a few more enhancements I will :)

Out of curiosity why take anything off the bolt cam? Why not just file away the stop on the pump body so when it's turned the highest point of the cam is facing the face of the piston ramp?

Regards-Carlo

I don't have mine apart right now. When I did it. The highest point if the cam. Which yields the most lift of the piston was facing slightly away from the piston. So I ground the stop a little to make the highest point of the cam contact the ramp of the piston. I also ground the low point of the ramp for more travel. I'm trying to understand why you ground the low points and I don't understand what purpose that serves.

Regards-Carlo

Back