13 HP LIFAN MOTOR NO SPARK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqvarna257

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a 13 hp lifan motor on my splitter that has run well until today. I finally hooked up the electric start. it was simple, they give you a red wire and clearly label where to hook it up. The black wire was another joke, from the battery to a crimp connector. So with it all wired up I hit the key to fire it up, but no go. I check all my connections and check the battery cold amps and volts, all was good. I double check the breaker up front by the key and its ok. So I give up and pull the cord over and over and got nothing. So I pull the plug and check for spark and I got nothing. I am in year 2 so the warranty is motor parts only. The owners manual is a joke. The splitter is buried in 8 cord of wood so I can't get it out. I do not know what I fried and the worst part is I have no idea why.

Not sure I can help with the wiring of the electric start, wasn't too impressed when we hooked it up either and it has since been removed. Starts rather easy, second pull most of the time. As far as the no spark issue, our oil level sensor must have went out, we just by passed it and keep an eye on the oil, as one should do whether there is a sensor or not.

There should be a wire coming from the start stop switch to the coil . Take that wire off the coil check for spark if still no spark the coil is bad . if you get spark after getting rid of the switch wire that wire is getting grounded some ware

I was thinking of bypassing the start switch and jumping the electrical so I only have the power to the coil, and start/stop it like that until I find the problem.Going over it today with an ohm meter to check for breaks. I noticed yesterday that the post I hooked the positive from the battery to was kind of loose when I took the nut off to wire it up.
It has always started on the 1st or second pull, sometimes warm it takes 5 pulls. The only reason I wanted the electric start was my wife doesn't mind splitting some smaller stuff and could do that until I get home.

I went over it today and checked things out 1st I bypassed the low oil sensor, that wire runs straight to the coil. I checked the ignition switch and it was operating as it should. Everything ohmed out and I found nothing except I went across the ignition coil and got nothing. I am assuming the coil is bad. The customer service rep from Lifan is sending out a free ignition coil. But this still will not explain the electric start. When I ohmed that out it switched over and sent a signal to the starter relay. So I am at a loss on that one. The picture is the bad wiring diagram from Lifan , they have a few thing s wrong like the wire from the ignition coil is yellow. IMG_0002.jpg

I had put power to the connection at the solenoid once and the starter did jump. I wonder now if that somehow did in the coil? I still suspect the loose post on the solenoid that connects the battery. But the big thing for now is to get it running again.

Well it was a bad ignition coil. Just over2 years old so Lifan gave it to me free under warranty. Good to have it going.

Got the same engine and the coil went bad . I had a lot coils go bad on a lot other engines chainsaws generators . What I changed this year and has been working so far is running resister spark plugs . I had new coils not even run for a hour sure enough that engine would have a non resister spark plug

Back