365 to 372 bigbore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a older 365 huskey he says is blown up. straight gas or something. Anyway, I can get it for next to nothing and am thinking about using one of the 372 52mm bigbore kits on it. Beside the P/C am I going to have to change anything else. I have my own 365 that dont need anything so this would just be a project saw, but I dont need to spend a arm and a leg changing a lot of other parts to make it work. I havnt tried to crank the saw or do anything besides look at it and say yep thats a saw. And I can always build it back as the 365 it came from the factory as.

Before you tear it down vacuum and pressure test it to help find out what went wrong so you don't wreck a new piston and cylinder.

I just figured i would replace the bearings and seals anyways. Might not need them, but if the saw was straight gassed, its a good chance the bearings got hot from lack of oil. I am more concerned with is would the 52 mm kit require a new top cover, different muffler, different carb and/or manifolds. Just because the 52 mm p/c will bolt onto the 365 case isnt a sign the other old parts will bolt up. I have never had a 365 or a 372 apart so I am a little in the dark on this project.

It should be a direct bolt on, provided the 365 has the later style carb boot and not the bolt on manifold.
If so it's a real easy swap. No real mods needed.

Steven

Have you compared the OEM 372 piston and cylinder kits to the aftermarket big bore kits? I'd personally go with a OEM 372 top end over aftermarket but that's my opinion. You can also find good used 372 cylinders for cheap once in a while and use a meteor piston and save even more money.

I plan on picking the saw up in the next few days. I havent really checked on prices or kits, just know they are available. even once I get the saw, it might sit on the bench for a while before I get around to messing with it. I'll post some pics once I get the saw.

In my youth, I took off a perfectly good 372xp oem jug and installed a aftermarket big bore. Was not impressed. That oem jug has been back on and making me smile for 3 or 4 years now.

Well, fiddle sticks. I went to pick up the 365 saw today. Dug it out and started laughing. Guy said, whats so funny. This isnt a 365, its not even a 55, its a 51. Open mouth, duh expression on his face. Missing muffler so easy to see piston is scorched. I just happen to have 2 topends for a 55, and a 55 I was needing a few body parts to put back together. I gave him $40. I plan on using my 55 bottom crankcase since I already have it broke apart, and buy a couple of 55 stickers to replace the ones that say 51 and putting myself another spare 55 saw together. I guess my conversion project will have to wait until I find a suitable donor saw, not that I am really looking for one.

I am trying to figure out what to do with this 51. I have a good 55 crankcase and a new p/c. I could just build a stock 55 with the 51 sheetmetal, but I am thinking I want to try and beef it up a little bit. thinking about milling the base to decrease squish and up compression, but am thinking that would screw up the timing. I have never took a grinder to a chainsaw head. I am thinking if I cut the base, then I would have to raise the intake and exhaust ports to keep stock timing. For instance, if I mill the base, .020 than the ports would need to be raised the same .020. since I dont have any stock timing numbers to go off of, maybe someone here can give me some sort of base line as to actual numbers that would work best for a husky 55. I have a degree wheel and a basic understanding of how to check timing on a chainsaw. I can utube with the best of em, but I havent seen any actual numbers posted. I have a lathe so will be doing my own milling. Another thing I am considering is messing with the ignition timing. I can make keyways with a few degrees of offset to advance or retard ignition timing. Kind of need a little guidance on which way to go or just leave alone. Once built, this saw will just be a play pretty since i dont need it for anything else.

Back