61 to 272 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top cover fitting may have to do when the saws were made and wether the LA is in the casing or on the carb itself.
I'm just now doing a 266/630/61/272 conversion.
Also, how do I know I have the biggest Tilly that will fit without measureing it?
JohnView attachment 415382
Mine had the idle adjustment in the top cover. And mine fit. Cantdog's didnt. His cover didn't fit because of the sparkplug being too straight vertically. His cover didn't have the LA adjustment in it. Guessing it's a early vs late model thing. I Googled Tillotsons Website and found venturi sizes for every carb they make. The hs250 on the jred 670 and my hs237a had the same venturi size so I ran it. I also bought a 272xp carb and swapped choke and throttle shafts (so I could keep my high idle functionality). Ran the same as my original carb.

Mine had the idle adjustment in the top cover. And mine fit. Cantdog's didnt. His cover didn't fit because of the sparkplug being too straight vertically. His cover didn't have the LA adjustment in it. Guessing it's a early vs late model thing. I Googled Tillotsons Website and found venturi sizes for every carb they make. The hs250 on the jred 670 and my hs237a had the same venturi size so I ran it. I also bought a 272xp carb and swapped choke and throttle shafts (so I could keep my high idle functionality). Ran the same as my original carb.
Thanks for the carb info.
I will have to do the same throttle shaft switch as well, because the where the spring return rested was broken. That's why the saw was tossed I guess, but the 272 P&C is about as good as it gets. I'm Just now filling 1mm off the intake skirt.
Trying also to sort out the nicest casing to use.

I have a grey top 61 in nice condition (externally) but not so much on the internals. What is the advantage of putting the 272 top end over keeping that top end on the 272... Is the 61 a smaller/lighter saw? is the 272 top end still available? I might just have to fix up this saw!

I have a grey top 61 in nice condition (externally) but not so much on the internals. What is the advantage of putting the 272 top end over keeping that top end on the 272... Is the 61 a smaller/lighter saw? is the 272 top end still available? I might just have to fix up this saw!
No advantage to taking it off a running 272xp. The cases are similar if not exact to a jred 625, 630, 670, and Husqvarna 61, 266, 268 and 272xp. An oem or aftermarket 272xp top end can put these back in service

I need some help with my 266/272 swap.
After removing the oil cap for an internal inspection I could see light shining thru the stud side of the casing.
Upon further inspection there appears to be what looks like a roll pin missing directly between the bar studs.
Can I knock one out of another casing and replace it
This part isn't shown in my shop manual.
Thanks for any help.

No advantage to taking it off a running 272xp. The cases are similar if not exact to a jred 625, 630, 670, and Husqvarna 61, 266, 268 and 272xp. An oem or aftermarket 272xp top end can put these back in service

i have both a greytop 61 and a 272. the cases are different. maybe orangetop 61's have the same cases, dunno. i've thought about doing the conversion since the 61is gutless compared to the 272 but comparing the two it looks like the biggest problems would be with the caburetor and the plastic between it and the cylinder. i think you need to replace the 61's intake with one from a 272, then figure out a way to mount a filter and get everything to fit under the cover. it doesn't seem like the throttle lock (button on the side) should be any trouble.

sawtroll is the guru on the differences between the three 61 models, whitetop, greytop and orangetop. i think the 266 has the same cases as the 61. the 268 is the same as a 272.

i guess i would be more motivated to try a field mod but the old 61runs better now than it did when new (20 years ago) and has 165psi compression here at 6000 feet. hard to justify wrenching on it.

i have both a greytop 61 and a 272. the cases are different. maybe orangetop 61's have the same cases, dunno. i've thought about doing the conversion since the 61is gutless compared to the 272 but comparing the two it looks like the biggest problems would be with the caburetor and the plastic between it and the cylinder. i think you need to replace the 61's intake with one from a 272, then figure out a way to mount a filter and get everything to fit under the cover. it doesn't seem like the throttle lock (button on the side) should be any trouble.

sawtroll is the guru on the differences between the three 61 models, whitetop, greytop and orangetop. i think the 266 has the same cases as the 61. the 268 is the same as a 272.

i guess i would be more motivated to try a field mod but the old 61runs better now than it did when new (20 years ago) and has 165psi compression here at 6000 feet. hard to justify wrenching on it.
Yea I don't have a 61. I just know the conversion works. Cylinder bolt pattern is the same. The intake needs to be converted to 272xp style. And some have trouble fitting their muffler back on. I used my original 625 carb and air filter

Finaly got the 272 up and running. It's on a 266 casing with a 181 carb, 630 starter cover. I had to delete the washer behind the plastic worm gear oiler as the clutch shoes would contact the drum causing the direct drive effect.
Note the Jonsered toggle on/off switch.
It really gets up and talks now.image.jpgimage.jpg

Finaly got the 272 up and running. It's on a 266 casing with a 181 carb, 630 starter cover. I had to delete the washer behind the plastic worm gear oiler as the clutch shoes would contact the drum causing the direct drive effect.
Note the Jonsered toggle on/off switch.
It really gets up and talks now.View attachment 415643View attachment 415644
Does that have the plastic pump washer with the clutch splines on it? If those splines aren't lined up, maybe that's the problem

Switch and recoil cover may be the nicest looking parts on that saw. :laughing:
Lol, that's what I was thinking. Too bad I don't have a complete 630 top cover.
I haven't missed my calling yet. I'm gonna denude the Yukon Territory of every basket case out there, but don't tell
YukonStihl. He can have all the Homeatnights. Lol

Latest posts

Back